The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Philip Larsen | #63 | D

-SN-

17 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Good summaries.

Stecher is in Utica because he can be with no risk. Hope he gets move in and out of the line up all season. Benning does have to make a decision which likely includes a dman moving out. The other consideration is who gets left unprotected from Vegas. I disagree with your assessment of Sbisa and think he is a solid #5. I can agree that Tryamkin has to have games to figure out what he offers. In all likelihood he is a #6. Again he is a no risk to Vegas. IMHO Benning can play a patient game thru the season and capitalize on a other team's immediate need. The Canucks are not going anywhere this year or next. Defense is the only depth the Canucks have. Sbisa is tradable but Larsen and Biega are not. Larsen and Biega are subject to waivers and Vegas picking one of them off.

Not willing to write off Larsen yet either. Give him 40 - 50 games. I got a kick out of Larsen and Stecher on the same PP the other day. They do move the puck well. No matter how well the d-men play they have to have forwards who can score.

Yeah Larsen is very proficient at moving the puck from his blade to the end boards.  He never hits the dam net,  worse off his shot is so slow.  This is like watching a instant replay of Jiri Slegr shooting.

3 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

He has been great,  He's likely not in the teams long term plans and people always need a whipping boy so there you have it

He's been atrocious.  He has no business being in the NHL.  To think of all the opportunities and pp ice time this guy gets all because he's right handed and can 'walk the line'.  Has he hit the net on a shot over 40mph?  Doubt it.  It's not like Sbisa has played any better but c'mon, this is Vey 2.0.  What the eff does management and coaching staff see in him?

I really question management when they deliberately play someone over a player that's more talented, younger and faster(Stecher).  Totally contradictory to what they have been telling fans for the past 3 years.  Tryankim looked three times the player Larsen did last night.  This experiment has failed, it's time to pull the plug on it and send him down to Utica....or Alaska.

9 hours ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

All I know is when I watch this guy play he does not jump out at me as a horrible defender like some of you are saying. Maybe play Trymak with Lars and leave Sbisa to sit, but then thats a heck of a contract to be scratching. 

Did you and SaintPatrick not watch the Montreal game?  The guy wasn't just a turnover machine.... he gift-wrapped scoring chances for them.

I'm one of the Larsen defenders, of sorts. I think he has offensive flair that few of our defenders do, and can see why we got him in the first place.  But yet, I can see why many CDCers are down on him, since his defensive play is less than stellar.  He's ok if he's not pressured, but as soon as he is, it seems like he has difficulty figuring out the best play to make quickly - which I find strange, since his decision making is actually quite solid in the offensive zone.

6 hours ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

I do not understand all the hate this guy gets on these boards. He has not once made a horrible pass up the middle (COUGH spizza), sure he is a little soft in the corners but its not like on the 3rd pairing he has been stapled in his own end.

This kid can walk the line and get shots through. The thing is most of you probably do not realize those shots are supposed to be tipped. Let me ask who exactly is the net front presence on PP Unit 1? Some compare him to Garrison, well this kid gets off quick wristers and then it is cleared because nobody on the PP can beat defenders to loose pucks. He does not slap it wide by 10 feet, instead uses quick wristers hoping for a tip or some kind of scramble in front of the net. 

He also has great skating and came back on numerous backchecks to make up for our forwards lack of speed. Not saying he is a world beater but still, he is not nearly as bad as Weber or Bartkowski in his own zone. Could be he is playing with Sbizza, but who knows? 

All I know is when I watch this guy play he does not jump out at me as a horrible defender like some of you are saying. Maybe play Trymak with Lars and leave Sbisa to sit, but then thats a heck of a contract to be scratching. 

I guess everyone wants to go back to Edler and Tanev pounding weak slappers into the defenders shin pads all PP long.

35 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Did you and SaintPatrick not watch the Montreal game?  The guy wasn't just a turnover machine.... he gift-wrapped scoring chances for them.

I'm one of the Larsen defenders, of sorts. I think he has offensive flair that few of our defenders do, and can see why we got him in the first place.  But yet, I can see why many CDCers are down on him, since his defensive play is less than stellar.  He's ok if he's not pressured, but as soon as he is, it seems like he has difficulty figuring out the best play to make quickly - which I find strange, since his decision making is actually quite solid in the defensive zone.

Way to early to close the book on Larson. He does move the puck well and is fast enough to close on the offensive net. No matter whether he is long term or not he has value and could be moved at the TDL to a club who needs a puck mover. To a degree his experience helps as he has prior NHL experience and his KHL play where he stood out. Since the club is not a contender Benning can take time.

7 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Way to early to close the book on Larson. He does move the puck well and is fast enough to close on the offensive net. No matter whether he is long term or not he has value and could be moved at the TDL to a club who needs a puck mover. To a degree his experience helps as he has prior NHL experience and his KHL play where he stood out. Since the club is not a contender Benning can take time.

Yeah, not sure what everyone's hurry is to dump him. It's this same crowd who will be crying about Benning's 'poor asset management' :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, RonMexico said:

I guess everyone wants to go back to Edler and Tanev pounding weak slappers into the defenders shin pads all PP long.

The drop off from Edler, Hutton or Sutter on the point won't be that much.

The  benefit of playing Biega or STECHER would be a much improved defensive coverage. Larsen is a welcome mat for biggeror stronger forwards. Larsen has a shot? brought in to score?

I actually like watching Larsen play.

He skates and moves the puck really well, like that he always looks down the ice and assess what he should when he retrieves the puck from his end.

He gets hate because everyone wants Stecher in the line up. I like what management is doing right now. Stecher can move between Utica and Vancouver without trouble, and he would get top minutes playing in Utica too.

I thought our PP was lacking after Stecher got sent down and Edler was back to PP1......and Dear God I rather have Gudbranson back there than Tanev on PP2.

As for people saying he's soft, he's no softer than Tanev, and at least Larsen knows how to avoid the big hits. Tanev has looked really weak the past games, and now he's injured again.

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

Yeah, not sure what everyone's hurry is to dump him. It's this same crowd who will be crying about Benning's 'poor asset management' :rolleyes:

Now that the top pairing of Tanev and Edler are out we can see a little more of the younger d-men. I am curious to see the Stecher-Larsen combo back on the PP again.

25 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Now that the top pairing of Tanev and Edler are out we can see a little more of the younger d-men. I am curious to see the Stecher-Larsen combo back on the PP again.

Can we do a Sedins, Tryamkin, Larsen, Stecher PP1 unit?? :o

Tryamkin parks his ass in front of the goalie, Sedins doing the magic weaving the puck around and Larsen and Stecher blasting shots from the back.

39 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Agreed. I hope management has seen enough of him to know what we have. I know I certainly have.

Stecher is the same size as him but plays way bigger than him. Plus Stech can do the whole walking the line thing too. With a better shot.

3 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Stecher is the same size as him but plays way bigger than him. Plus Stech can do the whole walking the line thing too. With a better shot.

DB has larsen 3 inches taller. But Stetcher plays much bigger. It appears that he's much more liked as well (speculation) no one puts up with someone picking on Stetcher.

17 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

DB has larsen 3 inches taller. But Stetcher plays much bigger. It appears that he's much more liked as well (speculation) no one puts up with someone picking on Stetcher.

Yeah Stecher seems much more stronger physically. He has shown that he's is capable of using that strength to get under and and force taller opponents off the puck. It's not as physical with an opponent as you see with a player like Tryamkin but it works for Stecher and he is effective at it a lot of the time. He has learned to get involved physically with his height.

Being a BC boy and Canuck fan growing up he probably has the utmost respect for guys like the Sedins, Hansen, Burrows and Edler, all the long time Canucks. Playing with them he probably considers an honor. Also he is a rookie. JB considers him a character guy so with all that said I could understand why his teammates really like him.

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah Stecher seems much more stronger physically. He has shown that he's is capable of using that strength to get under and and force taller opponents off the puck. It's not as physical with an opponent as you see with a player like Tryamkin but it works for Stecher and he is effective at it a lot of the time. He has learned to get involved physically with his height.

Being a BC boy and Canuck fan growing up he probably has the utmost respect for guys like the Sedins, Hansen, Burrows and Edler, all the long time Canucks. Playing with them he probably considers an honor. Also he is a rookie. JB considers him a character guy so with all that said I could understand why his teammates really like him.

I love the way Stecher gets his positioning when engaging a forward. Rarely loses position. Still OK if he spends a month in Utica but but that conviction is fading. Larsen's opportunity is fading. If he wasn't in the long term plans I was hoping Benning could move him for a draft pic but Larsen does not likely get him much right now. Stecher-Biega-Tryamkin-Larsen all vying for the #6 spot. If Larsen is moved it has as much to do with Tryamkin as it does Stecher.  

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I love the way Stecher gets his positioning when engaging a forward. Rarely loses position. Still OK if he spends a month in Utica but but that conviction is fading. Larsen's opportunity is fading. If he wasn't in the long term plans I was hoping Benning could move him for a draft pic but Larsen does not likely get him much right now. Stecher-Biega-Tryamkin-Larsen all vying for the #6 spot. If Larsen is moved it has as much to do with Tryamkin as it does Stecher.  

Yup,  Tryamkin is absolutely a player.  He is physical, skates well, and gets up in the play.  Watching him away from the puck, he makes an effort to keep his gaps small.  I really like him as a player.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup,  Tryamkin is absolutely a player.  He is physical, skates well, and gets up in the play.  Watching him away from the puck, he makes an effort to keep his gaps small.  I really like him as a player.  

Van has the potential to be one of the most physical d-cores in the NHL. Tryamkin-Sbisa-Gudbranson-Edler, even Hutton has some size now.

Tryamkin does seem to wander a bit. I suspect as he feels the NHL game out he learns what he can get away with. He also goes down a lot trying to block cross crease passes. He made a nice block on a play last night. I prefer he stays up. Everyone comments on his size from a physical game aspect but his size presents problems for forwards trying to get pucks through him to the net. They should put a helmet cam on Markstrom to see what he can see trying to see the puck around Tryamkin. Cannot be easy either.   

Archived