The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

SEPERATE THE SEDINS?

BCXXXBUDBOY

If they start getting stale, it might not be a bad idea.  

But since now they have more depth, it's probably easier to just cycle in other players to the top line.  Eriksson, Hansen, Sutter and even Burrows can all take turns with the twins (umm... that sounded a bit weird, lol).  

1 hour ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Thank you, the season has officially started we have the "split up the sedins thread"

seriously though it finally looks like we have a decent second line 

Granlund sutter Hansen

sooooo no let's keep them together 

Like that line, would like to see more of it for the short while but I wouldn't mind seeing Hansen // Erickson swap spots.

Sedins + Hansen looked pretty good last year and Erickson seems like he'll be good on any line but maybe will be more willing to be a trigger man on the second line.

That said I'll be patient and not be a CDC knee jerk reaction regular :P

I think they should remain together, on defense.  I heard Willie thinks they are focusing too much on offense and that he is considering putting them in a few games as a defensive pairing.  He doesn't want their play to regress to where they forget their defensive obligations :-)

I've been saying this for the past 3 years!

As for most of last season and the start of this one...the Sedins are almost completely none-effective 5v5 anymore. 

The main reason...

They are slow! And slowing down even more. 

This wasn't an issue most of their career as the game was fairly slow as well. Now the game is all about young fast players who skate circles around the Sedins. 

This isn't an issue of saying the Sedins suck. 

If these were any other two players who were slow, everyone would be saying to not put them together. 

On the PP the Sedins don't need speed so they can do their thing and it works. 

While they do have insane chemistry...

Amazing passes mean little when you can't even get to the puck or make a move without someone beating you. 

They should test out...

Hank - Sutter and Loui on wings

Horvat - Daniel and hansen/JV on the wings. 

I think you would see a huge increase in offence having a mix of fast hardworking guys with a skilled Sedin on each line. 

historically, i've been vehemently opposed to this idea because the whole has always been greater than the sum. 

that said, for each of the last 4 years, the twins have had to work progressively harder and harder to earn their points. they've slowed down, the game has sped up, and even though they've continued to lead the team on scoring, they've looked less and less effective. this year could finally be the year where they regress to the point where they can no longer slow the game down and control it. 

through the ridiculously small sample size of the first two games, outside of one (obvious) shift against gassed opponents, this has looked to be the case. if it is, i'd be interested in conducting an experiment, splitting the twins up to see if doing so makes them play faster or makes their new linemates slow down to accommodate them.

I'd run with:

daniel-sutter-eriksson

granlund-henrik-hansen

that maximizes, in my opinion, the confluence of skills and abilities as well as established chemistry. this also wouldn't involve separating the horvat-baertschi pairing that seems to be promising. 

I agree with those saying no to this idea. One other thing is that by having them on the same line it is more feasible to manage their ice time. So far it looks like the ice time is more or less evenly distributed which bodes well for helping these guys stay a bit fresher late into the season. They may and already have been double shifted when the game gets on the line but otherwise, by keeping them together then their ice time can more easily be managed.

Not for splitting the Sedins up, but there may be a time that management comes to regret signing Eriksson, (especially for that $ and term) and moves him to another line. The Sedin line does best with a speedy gritty wingman that rushes the dump in and fights for possession and hands the puck to a Sedin, and then goes to the front of the net. Hansen and Burrows in his prime prove that. That whole line looks slow. They are dynamite when they have possession in the O zone, but they have to get there first. I hope that doesn't happen because it will be a yuuuuuge waste of cap space. Not to mention the possibility of another pouting Euro who thought he was promised to be a permanent member of the Sedin line. Only this time he'd be almost untradable with that term.  Okay, I know i'm being negative before the 3rd game has started. A silver lining is that Hansen can be used on another line. 

When Hank passes to Dank it goes back to Hank and over to Dank who puts it in the Bank. 

You can't take that away from the fans. Sure splitting them up might be best for their individual point totals I don't know. But the best part of the Sedins is the magic they make when they play together. 

Archived