The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Team Tank VS Team Sweep Poll

Sean Avery

Team Tank VS Team Sweep Poll  

233 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

not a real Canucks fan if you want them to tank 2 games into the season...imo

joining team tank in march, sure

A lot of people want them to lose games, because even if they do make the playoffs, they think they will just get knocked out in the 1st round anyway. So a 1st overall pick is more rewarding for them. I'm not a part of Team Tank either... I'm sort of down the mid. Just want our young players to have a good year really.

8 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

the way Benning picks I do not think it is going to be a bad pick so why tank???

The year we finish 3rd last in the league with our lowest scoring season in 15 years.  The 1st forward we pick in the 2016 draft is the 10th leading scorer on the US U18 NTDP William Lockwood. I have never had a bad word to say about a Benning pick because I actually love every single one of them. This isn't about who he picked but more what he had to pick with.

After all that pain and suffering last season we ended up with nothing a tanker would really want anyway. So after much thought and deliberation I don't really care if we finish low in the standings because chances are we will only have 1 or 2 picks in the top 100 anyway. If we are winning he won't feel the need or pressure to trade away picks. A tanker will most likely get more of what they want if we actually make the playoffs. This year is also a tremendously weak draft so it's basically a wash anyway. Nolan Patrick isn't going to make or break a franchise. 

23 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

the way Benning picks I do not think it is going to be a bad pick so why tank???

I agree. If we make the playoffs if anything I think we make it as a wild card team just squeaking into the playoffs, meaning a 15, 16, 17, or 18th overall pick after a first, second, or even third round loss. Benning has an eye for talent and just based off of previous drafts we could still find high calibre players in that mid-late teens draft pick range.

2016 Draft

16th Overall - Jakob Chychrun

17th Overall - Dante Fabbro

2015 Draft

16th Overall - Matt Barzal

17th Overall - Kyle Connor

23rd Overall - Brock Boeser

24th Overall - Travis Konecny

35th Overall - Sebastian Aho

2014 Draft

15th Overall - Dylan Larkin

17th Overall - Travis Sanheim

24th Overall - Jared McCann

36th Overall - Thatcher Demko

Those picks are all in hindsight but the fact of the matter is is that there are still loads of talent and high calibre players taken outside the top 10 draft picks, and because we have Benning who has an eye for talent we could very well make the playoffs and still draft an impact player.

1 hour ago, Blömqvist said:

I agree. If we make the playoffs if anything I think we make it as a wild card team just squeaking into the playoffs, meaning a 15, 16, 17, or 18th overall pick after a first, second, or even third round loss. Benning has an eye for talent and just based off of previous drafts we could still find high calibre players in that mid-late teens draft pick range.

2016 Draft

2015 Draft

2014 Draft

Those picks are all in hindsight but the fact of the matter is is that there are still loads of talent and high calibre players taken outside the top 10 draft picks, and because we have Benning who has an eye for talent we could very well make the playoffs and still draft an impact player.

Jared McCann is an impact player?  That's not setting the bar very high.

I'm on team tank all the way.

2016 Draft

1st  Overall - Auston Matthews

2nd Overall - Patrik Laine

2015 Draft

1st  Overall - Connor McDavid

2nd Overall - Jack Eichel

2014 Draft

1st  Overall - Aaron Ekblad

2nd Overall - Sam Bennett

I'll take some of those guys instead please.  

Though I'm team tank, I've accepted the fact Vancouver won't fully rebuild.  So I'm cheering them on to do well and then see what happens in the playoffs, hoping to not be a bubble team that just misses.  But long term I'm patiently waiting for an ownership/GM change and a proper rebuild to happen. 

49 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Jared McCann is an impact player?  That's not setting the bar very high.

I'm on team tank all the way.

2016 Draft

1st  Overall - Auston Matthews

2nd Overall - Patrik Laine

2015 Draft

1st  Overall - Connor McDavid

2nd Overall - Jack Eichel

2014 Draft

1st  Overall - Aaron Ekblad

2nd Overall - Samson Reinhart

I'll take some of those guys instead please.  

Though I'm team tank, I've accepted the fact Vancouver won't fully rebuild.  So I'm cheering them on to do well and then see what happens in the playoffs, hoping to not be a bubble team that just misses.  But long term I'm patiently waiting for an ownership/GM change and a proper rebuild to happen. 

4 hours ago, Sean Avery said:

A lot of people want them to lose games, because even if they do make the playoffs, they think they will just get knocked out in the 1st round anyway. So a 1st overall pick is more rewarding for them. I'm not a part of Team Tank either... I'm sort of down the mid. Just want our young players to have a good year really.

Then they're no Canucks fans.. :ph34r:

3 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

2016 Draft

2015 Draft

2014 Draft

I agree Benning has an eye for talent but I think you, and many other posters, are missing the glaringly obvious.

Most of these 2nd, 3rd,4th, 5th round guys he picks up will still be available to pick up whether we have the 1st overall pick or the 10th.  Not to mention if you really want a guy in the 2nd round you could trade up, trade a 3rd and 4th etc. 

So why not get a guy like McDavid, Matthews, Laine etc AND one of those 2nd, 3rd, 4th round gems.  It's not an either/or argument.  Just because you get the first overall doesn't mean you miss out on all those other players.

How about a third option, just want them to play well and what happens happens?

I don't want to tank, because who wants to watch that kind of hockey all year? Also, is the draft that good this year? Is Nolan Patrick a true first overall? I've heard that the top five are much like the 5-10 from the last two years.

I also don't think this is a playoff calibre team at the moment. We lack that proven secondary scoring. That may change during the season but at the moment it is a huge question mark. It's also too early to know if this team will keep to the type of pushing, hard working character we've seen in the first two games. Small sample size.

7 hours ago, 'NucK™ said:

not a real Canucks fan if you want them to tank 2 games into the season...imo

joining team tank in march, sure

And why is that ? 

I'm a seasons ticket holder, paid $5008.25 for my season ticket and I'm all for team tank. I don't believe in the current product on the ice and another tank year can mean some positive things to me.

1. Willie D will likely be gone.

2. We gain 10.5M in contract space from the Burr and Miller departure.

3. We get another top 5 pick in a draft that has some great young hockey players including this guy who I think would be excellent with us. http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=222125

4. Life after the Sedins is coming very soon and we need to stockpile these young kids for that day.

38 minutes ago, AriGold said:

And why is that ? 

I'm a seasons ticket holder, paid $5008.25 for my season ticket and I'm all for team tank. I don't believe in the current product on the ice and another tank year can mean some positive things to me.

1. Willie D will likely be gone.

2. We gain 10.5M in contract space from the Burr and Miller departure.

3. We get another top 5 pick in the draft in a draft that has some great young hockey players including this guy who I think would be excellent with us. http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=222125

4. Life after the Sedins is coming very soon and we need to stockpile these young kids for that day.

Gave you a +. Not because I agree with you, but because your loyalty shouldn't be called out for having a different opinion.

I dont live in in vancouver but even if I did id imagine I'd have a hard time coughing up that much for a season ticket. Everyone here has given something for this franchise. Time, sleep, money. Want the same thing here in the end. It's easy to forget that. 

Archived