The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Team Tank VS Team Sweep Poll

Sean Avery

Team Tank VS Team Sweep Poll  

233 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So much to prove, as individuals and as a collective on our team. From the players to the coaches and the off ice staff there is a lot riding on this season.

-Daniel & Henrik may be a year older but they are also a year wiser. If they can just play their game with a little bit of edge they've shown two games in we'll be in for fun season.Same goes for the younger players.

- Goaltending is a strong suit and both goalies are capable of shutting the door. I look around the pacific and we may have the best goalie tandem.

- The Defence finally has some balance. They are not getting pushed around. they have to continue playing as a 5men unit if we're going to have continued success in this department. 

- Our younger players need to stay the course and continue working hard. The results will come. Sven looks great, especially defensively and he just needs to Baer down on his chances to produce. Bo can often generate offence on his own, however recently he's been more patient working the walls with his linemates. Expect to see these two have an impact on every game. Jake needs to help out his teammates more along the walls but he looks more comfortable out there.

- Our older players are teaching the new. DD is doing what he was signed for, being tenacious on the puck and so on. Burr is doing his best to keep pace and is showing glimpses of the Burrows we all know and love. Gaunce is playing a heavy and solid checking game, if he keeps his legs moving he could be a a unexpected source of goals.

- WD is learning and adapting to the way the game is trending. this year he has a quality and flexible roster to make something happen. The amount of line combinations that he can formulate are vast.

- And lastly the elephant in the room is injuries, more specifically, the length and severity of them.  If we run into injury trouble like last season or in Torts year then we are finished . 

- the Team is a deeper team at every position, it can be argued they are  likely be better coached,  and everyone at every position has more to prove than ever. With a leadership group that has been through it before there may be a good mix of youth and experienced veteran leadership to steer the ship in times of trouble.

This is what we play for every year.

stanleycup052915-getty-ftrjpg_1doukux73y

1 minute ago, LaBamba said:

Vancouver's attendance is horrific in comparison to when they had a contender. I'm not sure what your angle is here. 

Is that not the exact point?  If they don't at least try to ice a competitive team that has a shot at winning every night and hopefully entertain in the process, the fans won't come.

32 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

I cannot imagine taking the time and effort to go to 41 games per year just to watch a stripped-down AHL-level team get their butts kicked playing garbage hockey for years on end, hoping that some day in the future things might turn around.  Not to mention paying $5000 for the "privilege".

Sorry, I don't buy it, and attendance numbers bear testimony that others don't either.  You ice the best team you can, and play to win.  That's the very definition of sports.

Agreed, you can not charge  big money for a crappy team, however a lower ticket price  to watch up and coming players grow into a contender would most likely work.

9 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

I agree. If we make the playoffs if anything I think we make it as a wild card team just squeaking into the playoffs, meaning a 15, 16, 17, or 18th overall pick after a first, second, or even third round loss. Benning has an eye for talent and just based off of previous drafts we could still find high calibre players in that mid-late teens draft pick range.

2016 Draft

16th Overall - Jakob Chychrun

17th Overall - Dante Fabbro

2015 Draft

16th Overall - Matt Barzal

17th Overall - Kyle Connor

23rd Overall - Brock Boeser

24th Overall - Travis Konecny

35th Overall - Sebastian Aho

2014 Draft

15th Overall - Dylan Larkin

17th Overall - Travis Sanheim

24th Overall - Jared McCann

36th Overall - Thatcher Demko

Those picks are all in hindsight but the fact of the matter is is that there are still loads of talent and high calibre players taken outside the top 10 draft picks, and because we have Benning who has an eye for talent we could very well make the playoffs and still draft an impact player.

When i see the pics you highlighted it makes me wonder if we ever had a top 3 pick if we would be better off trading it for a bunch of lower picks. I mean would you trrade nolan patrick for those three guys.? 

15 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Is that not the exact point?  If they don't at least try to ice a competitive team that has a shot at winning every night and hopefully entertain in the process, the fans won't come.

Isnt that what we are trying to sell? I see it as the fans aren't buying it. 

11 hours ago, LaBamba said:

The year we finish 3rd last in the league with our lowest scoring season in 15 years.  The 1st forward we pick in the 2016 draft is the 10th leading scorer on the US U18 NTDP William Lockwood. I have never had a bad word to say about a Benning pick because I actually love every single one of them. This isn't about who he picked but more what he had to pick with.

After all that pain and suffering last season we ended up with nothing a tanker would really want anyway. So after much thought and deliberation I don't really care if we finish low in the standings because chances are we will only have 1 or 2 picks in the top 100 anyway. If we are winning he won't feel the need or pressure to trade away picks. A tanker will most likely get more of what they want if we actually make the playoffs. This year is also a tremendously weak draft so it's basically a wash anyway. Nolan Patrick isn't going to make or break a franchise. 

Did I just read that correctly?  I actually agree with you. 

The last sentence is really important.  There are far too many pro tankers that just believe, you simply need a top 3 pick.  the problem with that type of thinking in not all top 3 picks have the same value. One year a 3rd overall is Cam Barker, the next it's Jack Johnson, after that it's Jonathan Toews, with Kyle Turris the 3rd overall pick the following year.   4 years and 4 completely different player values. 

We can look at what's projected to be top picks this upcoming year, and yes it's supposed to be a weak draft.  Patrick is good but not supposed to be on the level of true #1, top end, centers in this league.  So if you're going to tank, it's best in a year there's a sure thing, followed up with some really close top end talent, that way if you don't luck out on the lottery you still get a decent consolation prize..

If we didn't tank in the McDavid/Matthews/Ekblad/MacKinnon years, we aren't tanking now. We had an opportunity to not worry about being good and now that the draft lottery rules are changed there's no reason ever to on purpose tank (not that any players did intentionally lose games) for any team.

How about we just play and see where we end up?

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Did I just read that correctly?  I actually agree with you. 

The last sentence is really important.  There are far too many pro tankers that just believe, you simply need a top 3 pick.  the problem with that type of thinking in not all top 3 picks have the same value. One year a 3rd overall is Cam Barker, the next it's Jack Johnson, after that it's Jonathan Toews, with Kyle Turris the 3rd overall pick the following year.   4 years and 4 completely different player values. 

We can look at what's projected to be top picks this upcoming year, and yes it's supposed to be a weak draft.  Patrick is good but not supposed to be on the level of true #1, top end, centers in this league.  So if you're going to tank, it's best in a year there's a sure thing, followed up with some really close top end talent, that way if you don't luck out on the lottery you still get a decent consolation prize..

I have never once suggested we strip down for the purpose of tanking. Over and over I have said that my main issue was forcing the team up the standings by cashing in assets and signing big contracts. I want us to take a pause and develop within. I don't care where we pick I just want to pick

12 hours ago, LaBamba said:

The year we finish 3rd last in the league with our lowest scoring season in 15 years.  The 1st forward we pick in the 2016 draft is the 10th leading scorer on the US U18 NTDP William Lockwood. I have never had a bad word to say about a Benning pick because I actually love every single one of them. This isn't about who he picked but more what he had to pick with.

After all that pain and suffering last season we ended up with nothing a tanker would really want anyway. So after much thought and deliberation I don't really care if we finish low in the standings because chances are we will only have 1 or 2 picks in the top 100 anyway. If we are winning he won't feel the need or pressure to trade away picks. A tanker will most likely get more of what they want if we actually make the playoffs. This year is also a tremendously weak draft so it's basically a wash anyway. Nolan Patrick isn't going to make or break a franchise. 

To much on the negative vibes man! We got our 1D last year. Hopefully we get our 1C prospect this year. All according to plan.

1 hour ago, LaBamba said:

Isnt that what we are trying to sell? I see it as the fans aren't buying it. 

Yes, but let's see how this season goes with a full roster and hopefully not all the injuries of last year.  If we aren't icing AHLers, the kids are progressing, and the team is giving good effort and getting decent results then fans will come.  I think they'd buy that over 4-5 years of ugly tear-down scrub hockey.

6 hours ago, AriGold said:

And why is that ? 

I'm a seasons ticket holder, paid $5008.25 for my season ticket and I'm all for team tank. I don't believe in the current product on the ice and another tank year can mean some positive things to me.

1. Willie D will likely be gone.

2. We gain 10.5M in contract space from the Burr and Miller departure.

3. We get another top 5 pick in a draft that has some great young hockey players including this guy who I think would be excellent with us. http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=222125

4. Life after the Sedins is coming very soon and we need to stockpile these young kids for that day.

I was a season ticket holder 2 years ago too and I'm in the same boat. Or a bit different. I'll save my judgement for later towards the TDL. Like last year the Canucks should have tanked imho looking at the state that team was in. Still flabbergasted they never did and management actually said they could fight for a playoff spot even after the TDL. This year if healthy and we're in a playoff spot/5 or so points off playoff spot come TDL, I say keep the team as is and ride it out. However if we're doing frack all like last year, then I say you trade all the tradable assets away, recoup as many assets as possible - as little as they may be, and promote more youth the rest of the year. Would likely mean trading away Miller/Burrows/Sbisa. But I don't think we'll be in that position like we were last year and am hopefully we'll be in the playoff hunt. 

But I guess that means both of us are haters that don't like the team since we want them to tank according to @oldnews @Hutton Wink :ph34r::P 

Just now, Hutton Wink said:

Yes, but let's see how this season goes with a full roster and hopefully not all the injuries of last year.  If we aren't icing AHLers, the kids are progressing, and the team is giving good effort and getting decent results then fans will come.  I think they'd buy that over 4-5 years of ugly tear-down scrub hockey.

Hey we live in an incredilbly expensive city. If people are going to come up with sometimes hundreds of bucks just to see one game it needs to be for a good team. I've lived in other cities in Canada that are much cheaper and really the only good thing to do is see a game (ahem, Edmonton) and it doesn't take as big a bite out of your budget. 

7 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

To much on the negative vibes man! We got our 1D last year. Hopefully we get our 1C prospect this year. All according to plan.

Juolevi is a NHL 1D is he?! My bad. I guess I have the definition of a prospect all wrong. 

5 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

But I guess that means both of us are haters that don't like the team since we want them to tank according to @oldnews @Hutton Wink :ph34r::P 

You sure like your straw RR. 

I've never called you a "hater" RR and wouldn't.  It's all in good fun - we disagree - no big deal - but you're such an easy dig haha.

Btw, Shinkaruk could have 10 NHL goals by February, so make sure to let me know if that happens.:P

Archived