The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Team Tank VS Team Sweep Poll

Sean Avery

Team Tank VS Team Sweep Poll  

233 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 10/18/2016 at 4:50 AM, Cocolocci said:

Then they're no Canucks fans.. :ph34r:

You could say that, but literally 95% of our fan base wanted them to lose games last year right before the deadline, so... yeah. IK that was when they were 45 games in and we are only 4 games in now, but still, just pointing it out there.

On 10/19/2016 at 5:16 PM, Davathor said:

It's been stated but I'm on team tank - mostly because life post-sedins is rapidly approaching, and without them we have 2 top 6 forwards... Tank now or tank when they are gone? Id rather have some ACTUAL game changing talent in the system or even playing immediately... We don't have a cup team, but we are about to have a huge HUGE hole on offence

Check the prospects threads.

I chose team sweep because I'm a Canucks fan who always wants the best possible results which is hopefully a playoff run and lifting Lord's Stanley. Feels like it will be a while before that happens but I really believe it can happen with one last Crack with the Sedins. This team has already solidified it's D and goaltending. A top 6 fwd is all thats missing and if we are among the leaders in the conference, I would trade for that fwd as Skille and Virtanen aren't really the answer as much as I like the way they play. I believe their that close to making a Cup run.

On 10/18/2016 at 2:44 AM, CanadianRugby said:

Jared McCann is an impact player?  That's not setting the bar very high.

I'm on team tank all the way.

2016 Draft

1st  Overall - Auston Matthews

2nd Overall - Patrik Laine

2015 Draft

1st  Overall - Connor McDavid

2nd Overall - Jack Eichel

2014 Draft

1st  Overall - Aaron Ekblad

2nd Overall - Sam Bennett

I'll take some of those guys instead please.  

Though I'm team tank, I've accepted the fact Vancouver won't fully rebuild.  So I'm cheering them on to do well and then see what happens in the playoffs, hoping to not be a bubble team that just misses.  But long term I'm patiently waiting for an ownership/GM change and a proper rebuild to happen. 

Sorry, Team Tank is for losers. I want a team constantly trying to compete.

I've said it a 1000 times on this forum (well at least 4 or 5 times) a retool and a rebuild is semantics. They are exactly the same thing. Teams that build through the draft and development also look for free agents and vice versa. Benning has made a commitment to youth but also filled the age gap between our veterans and our youth.

43 minutes ago, TheCammer said:

I've said it a 1000 times on this forum (well at least 4 or 5 times) a retool and a rebuild is semantics. They are exactly the same thing. Teams that build through the draft and development also look for free agents and vice versa. Benning has made a commitment to youth but also filled the age gap between our veterans and our youth.

By your argument, literally every hockey team in every league in the world is constantly rebuilding.  Every team drafts, every team signs free agents.  What is your point?  Retooling is what Chicago has to do every year due to the salary cap, that doesn't make it rebuilding.

Teams that tank do constantly compete.  They just suck at it because all the expendable talent has been traded for draft picks. 

52 minutes ago, TheCammer said:

Watching the last game there were times I was actually thinking 'don't put the Twins out; put out Bo and Baer.'  I remember thinking the same about Naslund and Bertuzzi, when the Twins were getting good.

is the time fast approaching, when Bo and Baer take more minutes from the Twins?  

14 hours ago, Sean Avery said:

You could say that, but literally 95% of our fan base wanted them to lose games last year right before the deadline, so... yeah. IK that was when they were 45 games in and we are only 4 games in now, but still, just pointing it out there.

I was one of them.   Our team was doomed by that point,  so I supported getting the best draft pick possible. 

But I'm seeing this poll right at the start of the season.   I expect this team to make the playoffs,  and if there is that potential I'd certainly rather see that than to sit through another season of substandard hockey.  

But if I'm wrong,  and we do end up sucking as bad as last season,  then I'll again be on the tank bus. 

And yes,  I'm a true fan.   It's all just how one weighs the trade off between crappy hockey and better hockey down the road. 

Just now, kloubek said:

I was one of them.   Our team was doomed by that point,  so I supported getting the best draft pick possible. 

But I'm seeing this poll right at the start of the season.   I expect this team to make the playoffs,  and if there is that potential I'd certainly rather see that than to sit through another season of substandard hockey.  

But if I'm wrong,  and we do end up sucking as bad as last season,  then I'll again be on the tank bus. 

And yes,  I'm a true fan.   It's all just how one weighs the trade off between crappy hockey and better hockey down the road. 

You make good sense.  If we get into the playoffs - good.  If we are looking NOT to make it, then TANK HARD.  WE DONT WANT TO FINISH 17 to 25.  

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You make good sense.  If we get into the playoffs - good.  If we are looking NOT to make it, then TANK HARD.  WE DONT WANT TO FINISH 17 to 25.  

Or maybe we do... it is not possible to predict where the lottery balls are going to fall. If we had finished third from the bottom in 2014 instead of 2015, we walk away with McDavid. Winnipeg grabbed Laine from what... 24th spot? Something like that.

2 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

By your argument, literally every hockey team in every league in the world is constantly rebuilding.  Every team drafts, every team signs free agents.  What is your point?  Retooling is what Chicago has to do every year due to the salary cap, that doesn't make it rebuilding.

Teams that tank do constantly compete.  They just suck at it because all the expendable talent has been traded for draft picks. 

Well, that is because teams are constantly rebuilding. Some just have more tools in the box to start each year.

My point is that no team of professional players actually go out with the purpose of losing or "tanking". A management group may go for more of a rebuild by giving their team less tools to be successful but they had be bloody sure the ticket paying public is on board.

Generally you "tank" people don't actually turn out to be season ticket holders

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Watching the last game there were times I was actually thinking 'don't put the Twins out; put out Bo and Baer.'  I remember thinking the same about Naslund and Bertuzzi, when the Twins were getting good.

is the time fast approaching, when Bo and Baer take more minutes from the Twins?  

Well, that time is approaching. It's just the natural transition of a hockey team.

19 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

I'm a pessimist so team tank is where I rightfully reside. 

After some deliberation I've changed my stance. The Canucks are playing well as a team and I have no faith in Benning's ability to pick BPA in the top 10. Therefore I'm bandwagoning team sweep.

.  It's a slap  to The face to the sedin twins to work so hard their entire lives only  only tank so quickly.  I was team tank by mid December.   This is also not the best year to tank. 

Top pick will be an impact player, but still not as good as laine or Mathews.

last year was top 6 pick guaranteed you a very good player, this the odds are limited to the 1st 2 picks.  

No to tank.  Ask 50 games in, Amd if we are not hammered with injuries.

On 10/19/2016 at 5:18 PM, Davathor said:

Inside of the top 3 picks it isnt really finding a diamond... Look at the last few years of top picks already making huge impact. The last time we picked top 3 we got the best players to ever put on a canucks jersey.

And there were also much higher odds of getting a top 3 pick. Also, not every player in the past 5 years have made a huge impact. (Yakupov making a huge impact? Really?)

To think that we'd get the same kind of players in the top 3 these days and expect us to even get such a pick is dreaming. It's a diamond in the end.

While there are some players making an impact from the top 3, there are also a lot of players making a huge impact from later picks. Is it really worth tanking then when the odds are completely against tanking?

Archived