The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Only 2 teams now no regulation losses. Guess who..

danjr

1 hour ago, FijianCanuck said:

Umm they predicted us to get 66pts. You still win games to get 66 pts bruh. If they said we got zero pts this season then we have already out done ourselves. 

By definition, when considered the worst team you are the underdog going into every single game (injuries and such notwithstanding) thus any victories are playing above your level.  Case in point, both Calgary and Carolina are considered better teams, so we upset them.

6 hours ago, ABNuck said:

I understand the folks on here who want to be a bit conservative in their enthusiasm at this early juncture of the season...BUT...let's not forget how the so-called "expert" critics (ie/ uber Eastern-biased parrots) have us doing so poorly this year. Contrast that with the fact that many of us who follow the Canuck's players regularly (and more in-depth) would love to shove a hockey stick up their collective nether regions, and it's easy to see why we're pretty excited this early on.

Typically it is the younger average aged teams that seem to get off to quicker starts, so to see our veteran team stickin' it to those younger teams early on does give one a basis for some hope...just imagine how good the Tre-Kronor line will look after the 20 game mark!

Obviously the single biggest factor for the Canucks success this year lies with the Sutter line (see below)...will that line give us a 2nd scoring line that takes the pressure off of the Swedish triplets. Add in BoHo's line and we might actually have 3 scoring lines (balanced attack)...something that we didn't have last year and obviously something that the "experts" didn't count on when they "counted" us out so early on. So inasmuch as our fanbase is hoping for a positive season based on just a couple of games I feel the "critics" will be eating some crow based on their assumptions of our team long before the season even started.

So back to Sutter...he's our X-Factor this season. As one analyst described him: "he's like a free UFA pickup for the Canucks this season in that they didn't have his services for much of last season"...so again, the "critics" have made some pretty big assumptions about the failings of the Canucks without answering some basic roster questions first:

1/ Impact of Gudbranson

2/ Effectiveness of Eriksson

3/ Resurgence of Sutter

4/ Stability of the Miller/Markstrom tandem

5/ Sedin twin's conditioning/compete level at their age (no one has seen them play yet at their age = new territory)

And finally

6/ Anton Rodin...we haven't even seen him play yet so how can we know what his overall contribution will be.

In my books that's FAR TOO MANY what-ifs on the season thus far to even begin to realize how this is going to play out. But again we have to understand the enthusiasm of so many many based upon the negativity surrounding this year going in...I for one am with the positive crowd...I think we can make the playoffs this year and then from there...well who knows?

You forgot Stecher......a second or third round playoff team now!

You know people on these forums get so pissy about seeing the same old topics over and over again.  Then I post something that goes in a totally different direction and you still end up getting some hate.  Some of the fans here really shouldn't post.  I find that if you have to post negatively, then it reflects your own life.  You must not be happy within your own life.

Ok on to other things, thanks for the great discussions.  I thought this thread would get a few looks but not three pages of talk.  Cool beans

10 hours ago, danjr said:

You know people on these forums get so pissy about seeing the same old topics over and over again.  Then I post something that goes in a totally different direction and you still end up getting some hate.  Some of the fans here really shouldn't post.  I find that if you have to post negatively, then it reflects your own life.  You must not be happy within your own life.

Ok on to other things, thanks for the great discussions.  I thought this thread would get a few looks but not three pages of talk.  Cool beans

Good call, cool thread, and... AWESOME start to the season!

Just loving seeing the flashes of Sedinery: playing keep away and breaking through with the tying goal in game one; gwg in OT in this one.

All three games come from behind wins too. Isn't that about how many we had all last season?

Ok unlikely, I know, but sure would love to see the Sedins go out in style by taking the team from dead last (per professional airhead prognosticators) and leading them all the way to Stan-gri-la...

Oh well, for now just got to love the positive vibes for a change!

a great finish but crap start. coming back to win is incredible. being down in 3 games is crappy.

it's awesome we have resilience and confidence early on. coming back to win games is very important.

but we also need to lead. this luck won't last forever. need to start playing the odds and score some quick goals early on

1 hour ago, guesswhere said:

Good call, cool thread, and... AWESOME start to the season!

Just loving seeing the flashes of Sedinery: playing keep away and breaking through with the tying goal in game one; gwg in OT in this one.

All three games come from behind wins too. Isn't that about how many we had all last season?

Ok unlikely, I know, but sure would love to see the Sedins go out in style by taking the team from dead last (per professional airhead prognosticators) and leading them all the way to Stan-gri-la...

Oh well, for now just got to love the positive vibes for a change!

I LOVE that.  So great!

2 minutes ago, hlinkas wrister said:

Loving the effort from the boys but if my memory serves me correct we started last year 3-0-1, so I'll keep the superlatives in check for now. Bloody exciting third periods though and I haven't felt this at ease about going into O.T. since we had Sami on the point!

Yea that's why I wait for atleast 20 games before judging the team this year. I'll never forget the year under torts. We started out flying and I bought into the whole "torts toughness" coaching but we know how that ended.

Archived