The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal/Discussion] J.Subban for forward depth

Something I've noticed this year is a vast wealth of defensive depth, with seemingly little in the way of talented forward call-ups. On D, we're 10 deep, with Tryamkin/Biega as the current extras and Pedan/Stecher as immediate call-ups. Beyond those 10, there is Subban, Billins, and Nilsson. I think the Canucks are in a place where they can look at moving defensive depth for some Utica scoring and depth call-up.

With Virtanen and Gaunce both making the team, our scoring call-ups are limited. Right now, if an injury were to occur to our top 6 our call up options are:

Carcone, Chaput, Grenier, LaBate, Megna, Rendulic, Zalewski

None of these guys are notable scorers. 

So what can Subban land us? His 4 points in 2 games is an impressive start, and this is building off an already solid rookie season last year. I think he would best be moved to a team in need of some defensive depth, with a forward coming back. A few targets might include:

The Leafs/Marlies:

- Have a lot of young forward talent on the Marlies, with a lot of new talent on the big team

- Lack defensive prospects

- Upfront, first call-ups would likely be Soshnikov or Rychel, meaning the following would be considered depth:

Kasperi Kapanen

- Strong start to the year with 5 points in 2 games.

- Former 1st rounder, has been slow in his NA development

Tobias Lindberg

- Has been a scorer at every level, including Sweden Men's league

- Strong rookie year in AHL with 22 in 34

- Good size at 6'3 200

Brendan Leipsic

- Bounced around a bit, older at 22

- Scorer in the AHL with 108 points in 137 games

I think there's strong potential for a prospect trade with Toronto, that could add some much needed forward call-up depth. 

To me, it is too early to trade him. His value right now is no where close to his potential. Trading Prospects for other prospects only works, IMO, if you know your prospect will be a tweener. Top end Talent is what Canucks are missing, so I suggest keeping him in the hopes he reaches his potential. Especially since Canucks Don't have any great OFD.

I think his value right now would be similar but a small amount less than Dallas' Honka. I like Subban more because of his compete level every single shift. 

52 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

If he tears it up scoring wise and cleans up defensively we may get back something good by Jan 

There is no room up on the big club for him this year or next year.

Then Joulevi comes up...maybe never any room for Subban.

Trade Edler, Sbisa and larsen next couple years and a few years down the road...

Juolevi-Tan

Hutt-guddy

Tram-Subban

Pedan-Stetcher

4 Solid defensive D and 4 offensive minded. I really like what JB has done with the Canucks prospects and depth.

Also Brisebois, Sautner, Olsen have a really good chance of making the NHL down the road.

21 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Trade Edler, Sbisa and larsen next couple years and a few years down the road...

Juolevi-Tan

Hutt-guddy

Tram-Subban

Pedan-Stetcher

4 Solid defensive D and 4 offensive minded. I really like what JB has done with the Canucks prospects and depth.

Also Brisebois, Sautner, Olsen have a really good chance of making the NHL down the road.

Stecher is a better player than Tanev, or soon will be.  Trade Tanev

I am for something like that minor guy for minor guy,but to me I would really want a young gun that has 2-4 years in the NHL that we know can play and score.

TDL or off season go after a LW that can put the puck in the net unless both Baer and Grandlund can show they can do it,if not trade the worst plus and get a good goal scorer!

4 hours ago, The Sedge said:

Who honestly would have thought we'd be talking about having an excess of defensive depth this year?  JB building our championship team from the back out.

Yes, I have a feeling that in 2 more years we will have an excess of forward depth to balance it out. He needed to focus on defense first, you can be a good team with good defense but if you focus on forwards first, you might score lots of goals but you will still lose games 5-4 because you can't keep the puck out of your net. 

It took him 2 years to make the defensive core that we have, so give him two years and cut him some slack this year because of the expansion. After that, we will have our team. The Sedins will be at the end of their contract and will get that final chance at a cup as 2nd liners.

That's my prediction. So let it be written, so let it be done!

It's obviously apparent our forward depth coming through the ranks is boeser...and that's about it...maybe cassels? But he's still adjusting to the ahl let alone the nhl

We need to flip a dman maybe pedan, subban or brisebois for some young forward talent. I like pedan but I don't think he has an NHL home here with Sbisa, tryamkin, biega and stetcher and joulievi as the next wave for the 3rd pair

Subbans and brisebois value can't be very high so i wouldn't count on a big return

Thing is, most of our up-and-coming guys (aside from Juolevi, Boeser and Demko) are "no-name" players.

Though we see progress in guys like Tryamkin/ Pedan/ Brisebois/ Subban as local fans, what will other teams know about them?  I mean if he's on the verge of scoring his way into the league while Stetcher holds his own too then I'd be down to move him for a similar young scoring forward, but until then the face value might just be due to the fact that he's a Subban, not really about what he's done in the league.

Hopefully our current young guys like Rodin and Virtanen can blossom into scoring forwards to fill the transition gap once the Twins are outta here, then by trading one of the then-ready D-men we could get a respectable center with more offensive touch and hopefully be good to trend upwards again.  Til then, let's not deal them too soon.

12 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Yes, I have a feeling that in 2 more years we will have an excess of forward depth to balance it out. He needed to focus on defense first, you can be a good team with good defense but if you focus on forwards first, you might score lots of goals but you will still lose games 5-4 because you can't keep the puck out of your net. 

It took him 2 years to make the defensive core that we have, so give him two years and cut him some slack this year because of the expansion. After that, we will have our team. The Sedins will be at the end of their contract and will get that final chance at a cup as 2nd liners.

That's my prediction. So let it be written, so let it be done!

Every year there are good and sometimes elite forwards available in free agency.  Defensemen (and goalies) on the other hand are a lot harder to come by.  JB is doing this right.

1 hour ago, The Sedge said:

Every year there are good and sometimes elite forwards available in free agency.  Defensemen (and goalies) on the other hand are a lot harder to come by.  JB is doing this right.

If everyone in the league is looking for defence then why not have excess of what the market wants and trade for what you need. Develope a plethora of defensemen and trade for your up front. The  2 most important positions I feel are the Goalie and the D.

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

Stecher is a better player than Tanev, or soon will be.  Trade Tanev

In 4 yrs

hutton -Tanev

juolevi - Guddy

tryamkin- Stretcher

Brisebois - Subban

olsen, Carl both have some degree of NHL potential 

that's good depth but our forward depth is hurting - I think that d corps could rival the 2011 corps

3 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

In 4 yrs

hutton -Tanev

juolevi - Guddy

tryamkin- Stretcher

Brisebois - Subban

olsen, Carl both have some degree of NHL potential 

that's good depth but our forward depth is hurting - I think that d corps could rival the 2011 corps

How about Tanev and Hansen get traded for an young center, like Leon Draisatl?  

Archived