The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal/Discussion] J.Subban for forward depth

21 hours ago, Ojibwa72 said:

If everyone in the league is looking for defence then why not have excess of what the market wants and trade for what you need. Develope a plethora of defensemen and trade for your up front. The  2 most important positions I feel are the Goalie and the D.

I like this develop great Dmen in Utica get them established, trained properly then trade from strength.

It's good to have extra  Lamborghini's in the garage. In Green we trust.

Well a lot needs to be said about growing your own talent at home. Everyone wants the bigger better FASTER deal to build the team. While I believe trades can be beneficial to any team, growing your own talent really needs to be your first and foremost. Costs less in the long run, your team develops that ever elusive chemistry and your team on ice has a tendency towards consistency. As we have seen with the Sedins and others the team gets a hometown discount, meaning the team saves money.

Sorry getting long winded here. So trading Subban at this point I'd have to say no. Won't get enough in return for him at this point. Develop him and then perhaps re-visit this idea.

2 hours ago, bertuzzi4eva said:

Well a lot needs to be said about growing your own talent at home. Everyone wants the bigger better FASTER deal to build the team. While I believe trades can be beneficial to any team, growing your own talent really needs to be your first and foremost. Costs less in the long run, your team develops that ever elusive chemistry and your team on ice has a tendency towards consistency. As we have seen with the Sedins and others the team gets a hometown discount, meaning the team saves money.

Sorry getting long winded here. So trading Subban at this point I'd have to say no. Won't get enough in return for him at this point. Develop him and then perhaps re-visit this idea.

+1 people want a young dynamic defenceman with high offensive upside, then first year of pro he produces a high rate offence but has defensive deficiencies... So instead of letting him fester and learn the defensive game they want to ship him out or change him to forward position. o.O

Silly... Idiotic... Call it whatever it's just flat out impatient when most are calling for a rebuild...

I'm hoping that Subban sees the little things Stecher does in the defensive end. He has all the hockey sense, speed and hands to do the same things Stecher does.

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I like this develop great Dmen in Utica get them established, trained properly then trade from strength.

It's good to have extra  Lamborghini's in the garage. In Green we trust.

Unless you can find a 'Charelli', who is willing to trade you his Lamborghini for a Toyota! :shock:

Kapanen and Leipsic could probably play in the NHL this or next season but the Leafs are stacked up front with young talent and probably don't want to over-do it with rookies. Subban for one of those two makes perfect sense actually.

However I'd be really interested to see how Subban develops and would be scared that if we trade him away we end up losing a Forsling-type player. Late pick, slick puck mover and Subban is racking up AHL points right now in only his second season. If he can play even a little bit of defence, we can pair him with a shutdown defenceman of any sort (not necessarily Tryamkin but also thinking Edler ,Sbisa on the left) and he'd be a very valuable weapon. Thinking Tyson Barrie-type defenceman. Undersized, not great physically but a point machine which is what the Canucks desperately need on the back-end.

Give him another year, see how he looks next training camp then decide. If he can't crack the 7th spot next season we might as well trade him, but he'd be a nice addition to the NEXT wave of Canuck defencemen (Juolevi, Tryamkin, Subban, Stecher - a fantastic mix)

Archived