The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[article] Kuzma - Sbisa's good start

Ted Lasso

You are only as good as your d partner.  Sbisa is finally playing with someone who is decent.  He's had some pretty terrible defensively responsible partners in the past in Bartowski and Bieska.  Hopefully he keeps it up as he has the tools to be a good defender

4 minutes ago, mpt said:

You are only as good as your d partner.  Sbisa is finally playing with someone who is decent.  He's had some pretty terrible defensively responsible partners in the past in Bartowski and Bieska.  Hopefully he keeps it up as he has the tools to be a good defender

Sbisa also became the poster-boy for hacks like Travis Yost to claim statistical superiority over. He has been very unfairly roasted by the fancy stats folks. 

I will be the first to admit that I've been down on Sbisa ever since he arrived here.  Between his frequent bonehead defensive plays, lack of ability to drive any offensive play, and somewhat physical (but not enough to be considered a physical threat) play, I just didn't see the benefit to having him here.

For about half of last season, he seemed to turn a corner in regards to his defensive play.  His decision making seemed to be simplified and he caused fewer scoring opportunities for the opposition.  Still, I didn't really notice him much.  I considered this a good thing, since I had previously noticed him for all the wrong reasons.

This season, I'm noticing him.  And for GOOD reasons.  Some good defensive plays, some good movement of the puck.  I will stop short of saying he is as useful as some of our other defensemen, but I am starting to change my mind as to him being a detriment to our team, as well as being well overpaid for what he brings to the table.  I truly hope for him that he can continue travelling down this track of improvement.

27 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Yah but all D guys have at least one per night, even guys like Erik Karlsson cough one up occasionally. But that was the shift where he really just tried to do too much puck handling... gets him every time. If he tones that down he's looking really good so far. 

Agreed.  Look at how Austin Matthew's schooled Karlsson on his first goal of 4.  If Sbisa did that cdc would have imploded.

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

As long as Willie keeps Sbisa on the 3rd pair, he'll be fine.

I hope this wasn't a shot at Willie.. As clearly Sbisa was playing above his pay grade when Edler and Tanev went down last year.  No coach in their right mind would play sbisa in the 3 slot.. But injuries happen

18 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Sbisa also became the poster-boy for hacks like Travis Yost to claim statistical superiority over. He has been very unfairly roasted by the fancy stats folks. 

Personally sick of the fancy stat folks.. Personally don't know anybody that played at a high level that spews the kind of garbage that nerd Jost does.  Why? cause ppl who played know it's only a tool.. Not the be all and end all.  Gimme the "eye" test any day.

2 hours ago, nzan said:

Has he ever been able to play with a legit partner long enough to solidify the pairing?

I mean, has he ever been the weak link on a defensive pairing, and gotten to round into form in that position?

Or have his defensive liabilities been magnified by having to continually play with guys like Weber?

I guess I'm just wondering if his continued improvement could look even better if he got ten games with someone like Tanev...

I have noticed that too. He has never really had a good defensive partner. When you play with a partner who doesn't belong in the NHL, it will hurt your play. When he has a halfway decent defensive partner, he is forced to play on his offside. Almost everything was working against Sbisa.

I thought Sbisa got better and better in first season here, and then was totally derailed (as was the whole team) last year by injuries. He can be a great 3rd pairing D man if you can keep him in that 15-17 minute range. Should not be deployed in the last minute of games. 

What people have to realize about Sbisa is that he has 386 games of NHL experience at the age of 26!! That's a lot for a defenseman at that age.  He has done a lot of his learning and maturing in the NHL rather than the minors.  You pickup a lot playing nearly 400 games regardless of how smart you are.  Development is never a straight line though.  It goes in spurts.  There is a very real possibility that he ends up a quality top 4 guy for 1000 NHL games.  He is a great skater with size.  He will have an NHL job pizzas or not.  Too me he is a good 5.  People just want him be a 2 or 3 because he is young and a great skater.  I am almost 100% sure that he will be a Las Vegas Black Knight come expansion draft.  We don't have a slot for him, and he is miles better than all the other players we are going to leave unprotected.  I am really surprised by all this need to keep Alex Biega because of expansion.  He is a solid 7-8, but there are better players that we will leave unprotected.

2 hours ago, apollo said:

No surprise here... Move along folks. 

Great goal against the blues too. You can bet your life if he was wearing a Chicago jersey or some Cali team, that goal counts. 

Yea I felt like the only reason there was a "kicking motion" was because he was getting dragged down. It should have stood.

2 hours ago, cbdoubleu said:

I thought Sbisa got better and better in first season here, and then was totally derailed (as was the whole team) last year by injuries. He can be a great 3rd pairing D man if you can keep him in that 15-17 minute range. Should not be deployed in the last minute of games. 

Had to smile when I saw him out there to close the game out. Sbisa and Sedin! I don't see it either but they managed. Been a Sbisa defender for some time because of his physical play which the Canucks have had no where near enough. Now we have Sbisa-Gudbranson-Edler. Biega and Tryamkin can do the same with opportunity. IMHO it changes the whole look of the club.

It's great to see Sbisa playing so well.  I have always loved the physicality of his game.  Sure he had a poorly timed giveaway, but if that was his only negative play that game I'll take it.  Seeing him lay down to block shots on the shift shows just how much he cares.  Love seeing that kind of effort.  For the record he wasn't the only D man to give away the puck last game.  His giveaway is only highlighted by the timing.  

9 hours ago, TheOgRook said:

I hope this wasn't a shot at Willie.. As clearly Sbisa was playing above his pay grade when Edler and Tanev went down last year.  No coach in their right mind would play sbisa in the 3 slot.. But injuries happen

I don't see Sbisa as a top 4 player.  On the bottom pair, he has been doing quite well.  

Last year, when Edler went down long term, Sbisa played up and was exposed.  I think that he can play up for short periods but not for 30 games.

No, I'm not taking a shot at Willie.  I'm not one for piling on.  There's more than enough criticism out there already.  I was a little nervous that he'd play Sbisa above his level.  When Sbisa keeps it simple and doesn't try to do too much, he can be effective

I am very happy to see how well Sbisa is doing this year... but let's understand there is a reason.

Sbisa is playing better because Gudbranson is now anchoring the 3/4.

All the pressure is off... and Sbisa's 5/6 is playing against less skilled opponents.

Gudbranson has changed the equation completely for the Canuck's defense.  He has given stability and physical presence to the 3/4... Hutton and him in that position is now a lock.

Gudbranson trade is paying off big time...  Benning should be very happy.

Archived