The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nintendo Switch

Mimerez

It's been almost a year and a half since Nintendo announced the NX, and now the gaming giant has finally dropped the codename and secrecy in favor of something more official: Switch. Like the countless rumors previously asserted, it's indeed a hybrid mobile and home console with a tablet element and detachable controllers.

The tablet itself (which Nintendo calls "the Switch Console" is thin and pretty attractive. It looks to have a screen measuring around 7 inches, of unspecified resolution. At home, it'll plug into the "Switch Dock," which in turn plugs into your TV, while out and about you can either hold it or use the built-in kickstand to prop it up. In the trailer, a gamer plugs in what looks to be an SD Card-style cartridge, meaning games are likely to distributed both digitally and physically.

It's powered by an unspecified custom Nvidia Tegra processor, which is "based on the same architecture as the world's top-performing GeForce gaming graphics cards." Whether that means Pascal -- the architecture underpinning the 1000 series of GeForce cards and the yet-to-be-announced Tegra X2 -- or just that Tegra chips in general are based on the GeForce architecture, is not clear. But the question of which SoC is powering the Switch -- and whether it's based on newer or older architecture -- is important to answer if we're to work out what exactly it's capable of.

The controllers are just as we expected. Nintendo is calling them "Joy-Con." They can be attached to a central unit called the "Joy-Con Grip" to behave like a single game controller, but also slide onto the side of the tablet for a more Wii U-like experience. Oh and, as rumored, they can also be used independently like two miniature gamepads.

If none of this sounds like your thing, Nintendo will once again offer a "Pro Controller" option laid out more traditionally. The trailer shows off lots of multiplayer gaming, either with multiple controllers connected to one system, or many Switch consoles connecting together wirelessly. We assume it'll have online play as well.

Gallery: Nintendo Switch first look | 11 Photos

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fs.blogcdn.com%2Fslideshows%2Fimages%2Fslides%2F424%2F052%2F2%2FS4240522%2Fslug%2Fl%2Fnintcvn5n33waaalaelms800-1.jpg

So what will you be able to play on it? As well as the usual first-party suspects, Nintendo says it has the support of many developers and publishers, including Activision, Atlus, Bethesda, Capcom, EA, Epic Games, Konami, PlatinumGames, Square Enix, Take-Two and Ubisoft. In the trailer you can see third-party games like The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and NBA 2K alongside what look to be a new Mario and Mario Kart games and Splatoon. In Nintendo's bold future, Splatoon will be an e-sport watched live by tens of thousands of people.

"Nintendo Switch allows gamers the freedom to play however they like," Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime said, "it gives game developers new abilities to bring their creative visions to life by opening up the concept of gaming without boundaries."

The Switch will be released worldwide in March 2017.

Timothy J. Seppala contributed to this report.

How long until this one fails?  We should start a pool.

At least they dropped the "Wii" moniker.  If the rumours are true and they are using the older-ish Nvidia Tegra chips then it will be a next-gen console that is less powerful than the already under-powered plain vanilla PS4's and Xbox 1's.

If the handheld portion of the console is as rumoured at 900p resolution, that could be something that could turn it into a moderate success as long as they don't charge $300-$400 for the whole console.

I'm not sure about this thing.

They already have the handheld market so what's the point of this. My kids rarely use their 3DS's as it is. Every other game they play is on their phones, phones that go with them everywhere. I don't see them bothering to carry around more pieces of hardware. So what we'd have essentially is a new living room based piece of hardware. and without knowing it's specs, I can only conclude based on it's size that it will be underpowered compared to the XBOX 1 and PS4 when it comes to "next gen" games.

While I commend Nintendo for "innovation" here, it's not what I expected and leaves me a little disappointed. Based on what we know today, this is another generation of Nintendo hardware I won't be buying.

8 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

I'm not sure about this thing.

They already have the handheld market so what's the point of this. My kids rarely use their 3DS's as it is. Every other game they play is on their phones, phones that go with them everywhere. I don't see them bothering to carry around more pieces of hardware. So what we'd have essentially is a new living room based piece of hardware. and without knowing it's specs, I can only conclude based on it's size that it will be underpowered compared to the XBOX 1 and PS4 when it comes to "next gen" games.

While I commend Nintendo for "innovation" here, it's not what I expected and leaves me a little disappointed. Based on what we know today, this is another generation of Nintendo hardware I won't be buying.

It's been rumoured for months that even though it is supposed to be next-gen hardware, that it will indeed be less powerful than current gen.  That doesn't even include PS4 Pro or Xbox Scorpio.

Unless the handheld part of the console picks up steam, the Nintendo Switch will fail miserably.

• Upvote 1

Actually looks really cool. If they can consistently release triple A games and have at least enough power to compete with the competition (the Wii U wasn't even close) then this could be a really good console.

As long as I can sneak this into class somehow :ph34r:

I just don't see this being successful. Nintendo has had a large disconnect with gamers for a long time. They focus too much on "innovation" and "future of gaming" without realising that gamers just want to game. They don't care about gimmicks or innovation. Just give them the games on a console powerful enough to keep up with what is currently out.

I can honestly see Nintendo going the way of Sega if this console flops as hard as WiiU. They will start releasing their IP's on Playstation and Xbox. Now imagine the revenue stream that would produce.

Nintendo is no longer a competitor in the console race. Sony and Microsoft are still running, Nintendo took a detour and can't be found.

• Upvote 2

I think I'm probably a lot more hopeful than a lot of you. With the Wii U lowering everyones expectations to rock bottom for the Switch, I definitely would not be surprised if it is really well received. Chances are that I'm going to get one too, looks too promising.

All I wanted from Nintendo is a normal console that's as powerful as a PS4, with a good online system. That's it. 

Edit: Most people I've seen on IGN and Reddit seem to love this thing though. For Nintendo's sake I hope it does well. But damn, am I sick of gimmicks. 

Maybe @SabreFan1 has been right about PC gaming all along >.>

Edited by Guest

5 minutes ago, Incursio said:

All I wanted from Nintendo is a normal console that's as powerful as a PS4, with a good online system. That's it. 

Edit: Most people I've seen on IGN and Reddit seem to love this thing though. For Nintendo's sake I hope it does well. But damn, am I sick of gimmicks. 

Maybe @SabreFan1 has been right about PC gaming all along >.>

Console peasants should be excited for the upcoming PS Pro and Xbox Scorpio.  The Scorpio is going to be a powerhouse.  The PS4 Pro will be what the original PS4 should have been to begin with.

PC gaming will still always be superior though.  We aren't called the PC Master Race for nothing!!  :lol:

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, DJSkingz said:

I just don't see this being successful. Nintendo has had a large disconnect with gamers for a long time. They focus too much on "innovation" and "future of gaming" without realising that gamers just want to game. They don't care about gimmicks or innovation. Just give them the games on a console powerful enough to keep up with what is currently out.

I can honestly see Nintendo going the way of Sega if this console flops as hard as WiiU. They will start releasing their IP's on Playstation and Xbox. Now imagine the revenue stream that would produce.

Nintendo is no longer a competitor in the console race. Sony and Microsoft are still running, Nintendo took a detour and can't be found.

Probably true. However, the Wii was very different and extremely successful, and that wasn't that long ago. You never know, something like this could take off.

At least it looks cool. The Wii U looked like a flop right from the get go.

As a hybrid system, will be too heavy and cumbersome to drag around with you on the go, and as a living room console will be short on the grunt power required to drive next gen games. I'm really having a hard time seeing how this thing will succeed. I don't think I'll be buying it.

But I wish Shigeru & Company all the best.

11 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

As a hybrid system, will be too heavy and cumbersome to drag around with you on the go, and as a living room console will be short on the grunt power required to drive next gen games. I'm really having a hard time seeing how this thing will succeed. I don't think I'll be buying it.

But I wish Shigeru & Company all the best.

What?  It's a tablet, smaller than most people's ipads these days.  

Nintendo's top selling games have always been their exclusives, all the way back to the original NES, so I'm not sure why most people's first reaction to a new system is that it doesn't match the power of xbox/ps4/PC and that it won't be able to play games like call of duty etc.. (kind of a moot point since the trailer shows someone playing Skyrim...)  In any case, if you're buying a Nintendo for it's raw gaming power then you are doing it wrong.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Good thing Nintendo's market isn't spec obsessed super gamers!

Nintendo's market hasn't been much of anyone with this generation of consoles in comparison with their competition. 

I want them to do well though.  It would just be sad to see Mario and Zelda on anybody else's consoles in the future if Nintendo fails with 2 consoles in a row.

I think the idea looks like it works, but I would need to get into the specs of it all before I could deem anything about it one way or the other. The video does a good job selling the functionality of it, at least.

edit: Having that massive third party support to start with was the biggest thing. Looks like they have it. Portable Fallout 4 on the way. Gotta love it.

Edited by g_bassi13
  • Upvote 1