The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nintendo Switch

Mimerez

I've been playing around with it for a while, and I quite love the thing. It's tactility and purpose is both more complex yet more obvious and defined than a Wii U. 

Games run well, and the screen is very vibrant. Battery life is reasonably long. The functionality comes literally as advertised regarding being able to switch between modes of play. 

Mario Odyssey so far has just been brilliant. I can't get enough of the game. My current impression has it as maybe the best Mario game there is.

If it can get more on board with Western RPGs and similar third party releases, I can dig having this as the thing that replaces PC gaming for me. I need something to.

On 12/7/2017 at 11:45 AM, g_bassi13 said:

I've been playing around with it for a while, and I quite love the thing. It's tactility and purpose is both more complex yet more obvious and defined than a Wii U. 

Games run well, and the screen is very vibrant. Battery life is reasonably long. The functionality comes literally as advertised regarding being able to switch between modes of play. 

Mario Odyssey so far has just been brilliant. I can't get enough of the game. My current impression has it as maybe the best Mario game there is.

If it can get more on board with Western RPGs and similar third party releases, I can dig having this as the thing that replaces PC gaming for me. I need something to.

Not sure I'd put Odyssey at the top of the Mario pile for me, personally, but I just finished it and have almost nothing but positive things to say about it

My only real gripe would be that I wasn't super into the enemy character designs at all, and I did find it a little too easy. Granted, I haven't caught all the stars or completed the game 100% (i think there's a bonus level or two?), but I felt like I was able to pick it up for 10-15 minutes a night and play through a small chunk of the game without much of a challenge. Don't get me wrong though, that's exactly what I like about the Switch -- but, at the same time, maybe a bit more of a challenge would have been nice?

Anyway, glad you're enjoying the console. I don't have as much time/interest in gaming as I used to, so I feel like this thing is literally the best thing that could happen to me for games. 10-20 minutes here and there before bed and I'm good. I still haven't even played it when it's hooked up to a TV.

Edited by GLASSJAW

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/12/2017 at 4:21 PM, GLASSJAW said:

Not sure I'd put Odyssey at the top of the Mario pile for me, personally, but I just finished it and have almost nothing but positive things to say about it

My only real gripe would be that I wasn't super into the enemy character designs at all, and I did find it a little too easy. Granted, I haven't caught all the stars or completed the game 100% (i think there's a bonus level or two?), but I felt like I was able to pick it up for 10-15 minutes a night and play through a small chunk of the game without much of a challenge. Don't get me wrong though, that's exactly what I like about the Switch -- but, at the same time, maybe a bit more of a challenge would have been nice?

Anyway, glad you're enjoying the console. I don't have as much time/interest in gaming as I used to, so I feel like this thing is literally the best thing that could happen to me for games. 10-20 minutes here and there before bed and I'm good. I still haven't even played it when it's hooked up to a TV.

Mario Odyssey is easy, but still rewarding, which is important.

I'm kind of half and half with playing on TV at home, bit the portability has been especially nice on vacation.

• 2 months later...

I really hope this announced Super Smash Bros game is actually a new game and not just another Wii U port. They're going from every game from A to Zombi U before they create anything original. Feels like I can go through all the original Switch games on one hand.

Granted I bought Skyrim and I've been enjoying it (because it's Skyrim), and there's a couple of other things I can see myself buying on sale. But I want to see it as more than just a platform for old ports. It's not even like there are new ports with concurrent releases so far besides like FIFA and NBA.

It's pretty much Mario Odyssey, Arms, and a bunch of highly overpriced rereleases (why are all these 3-6 year old games $80? It's silly)

2 hours ago, g_bassi13 said:

I really hope this announced Super Smash Bros game is actually a new game and not just another Wii U port. They're going from every game from A to Zombi U before they create anything original. Feels like I can go through all the original Switch games on one hand.

Granted I bought Skyrim and I've been enjoying it (because it's Skyrim), and there's a couple of other things I can see myself buying on sale. But I want to see it as more than just a platform for old ports. It's not even like there are new ports with concurrent releases so far besides like FIFA and NBA.

It's pretty much Mario Odyssey, Arms, and a bunch of highly overpriced rereleases (why are all these 3-6 year old games $80? It's silly)

i understand the complaint, but i'm also not super opposed to it in the meantime. like, i'm excited to play the donkey kong game even though you, and most others, weren't super crazy about it (IIRC)

just gives me an opportunity to catch up on stuff i didnt' play before. in fact, i wish they'd port the entire nintendo back catalogue. why hasn't there been a word about the old library!? it honestly seems like Nintendo could be doing this stuff way, way faster. instead they're trying to revolutionize gaming with.. cardboard?

anyway, with games like mario kart and smash brothers i can get why people would rather have something new. but come on, just give some pokemon ports or something already.

On 2018-03-16 at 9:19 PM, MikeyBoy44 said:

Can someone tell me from experience if this arms game is any good? Wondering if this bundle is worth it or if I should wait for a better one.

can't tell you from personal experience, but I haven't heard it's good at all - maybe for an hour or so, but ultimately proves to be a really shallow/empty game without replay value

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

can't tell you from personal experience, but I haven't heard it's good at all - maybe for an hour or so, but ultimately proves to be a really shallow/empty game without replay value

I actually got that feeling just from the cover :lol:

But anyways appreciate the info. I will definitely not waste my dollars on that bundle

On 15/03/2018 at 2:08 PM, GLASSJAW said:

i understand the complaint, but i'm also not super opposed to it in the meantime. like, i'm excited to play the donkey kong game even though you, and most others, weren't super crazy about it (IIRC)

just gives me an opportunity to catch up on stuff i didnt' play before. in fact, i wish they'd port the entire nintendo back catalogue. why hasn't there been a word about the old library!? it honestly seems like Nintendo could be doing this stuff way, way faster. instead they're trying to revolutionize gaming with.. cardboard?

anyway, with games like mario kart and smash brothers i can get why people would rather have something new. but come on, just give some pokemon ports or something already.

That was me, yeah. I didn't much like the first Donkey Kong Country Returns game either, but this was worse than that.

I would like a pokemon port either, but that's only really because I've been waiting over 20 years for a 3D pokemon Blue or Red.

On 3/15/2018 at 11:50 AM, g_bassi13 said:

As annoying as ports are, I'm so glad they're happening since along with the Switch port, there's going to be a 3DS port of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker.

I'm so excited. I wanted to play it and I heard great things but I didn't want to get a Wii U just for that considering how little I played my Wii (waste of a purchase). Now I get to play Captain Toad on my 3DS. 

4 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

As annoying as ports are, I'm so glad they're happening since along with the Switch port, there's going to be a 3DS port of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker.

I'm so excited. I wanted to play it and I heard great things but I didn't want to get a Wii U just for that considering how little I played my Wii (waste of a purchase). Now I get to play Captain Toad on my 3DS. 

I have nothing against the ports on their own at all. Just wish they were alongside, rather than in place of. Because right now it makes the console feel like a retread. The Wii U itself was slow and scant enough on releases as it was. Find it weird that something successful like the Switch is somehow slower. Financially, I get it from Nintendo. It's too bad that this reverse compatibility workaround is just so expensive for the customer as well.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So I'm reading alot on Nintendo bringing in an updated console. I am however having a hard time finding out if they are going to end up doing to the new like they did with the 3ds upgrade and having games that will only play on the new one. I pretty much ended up ditching the 3ds because of the new 3ds exclusive games idea and really hate the idea that they'll do the same with the new updated switch.

• Upvote 1

On 10/10/2018 at 9:44 AM, MikeyBoy44 said:

So I'm reading alot on Nintendo bringing in an updated console. I am however having a hard time finding out if they are going to end up doing to the new like they did with the 3ds upgrade and having games that will only play on the new one. I pretty much ended up ditching the 3ds because of the new 3ds exclusive games idea and really hate the idea that they'll do the same with the new updated switch.

Any idea what the time frame is? I'm really interested in buying a Switch, but not sure if it's the right time to do so.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

not sure if anyone will be interested, but here are my Super Mario Maker 2 course ID's (from oldest to newest.) I will try to update this post whenever I create new courses.

The Sky Castle - W46-F68-5XG

50s Platform Dash! - M2C-1RB-KMG

Spiky Platform Madness (Hard) - 255-1BT-RWG