The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nintendo Switch

Mimerez

1 hour ago, The Sedge said:

What?  It's a tablet, smaller than most people's ipads these days.  

Nintendo's top selling games have always been their exclusives, all the way back to the original NES, so I'm not sure why most people's first reaction to a new system is that it doesn't match the power of xbox/ps4/PC and that it won't be able to play games like call of duty etc.. (kind of a moot point since the trailer shows someone playing Skyrim...)  In any case, if you're buying a Nintendo for it's raw gaming power then you are doing it wrong.

That's because unless they are going with the very latest Nvidia chip, the Switch will be weaker than the current PS4, Xbox.  That also unfortunately means that it's going to be horribly under-powered when it is compared to the upcoming PS4 Pro and Xbox Scorpio.  

Skyrim is already a few years old now.  It doesn't need a lot of power to run these days.

However, you're right though.  People who buy Nintendo are usually more interested in Nintendo's first party titles which don't really need 4-6 terraflops/sec. to be very good games. 

That said, unless the handheld portion of the console takes off, the system will do poorly.  Nintendo is off to a good start on that front though with the 900p graphics that it will run on the portable handheld portion. 

I'll buy it.

Am I going to carry it around with me wherever I go and start playing games on the bus, walking down the street, etc.? No. I know a few places I would definitely take it, though. Places where I currently take play on my phone or 3ds. But who cares about that, since you don't NEED to take it places?

If the console has fun games I couldn't care less about its specs. And is there any doubt it will have good games? Look at its lineup of developers: Bethesda, Nintendo itself, ATLUS, Square. For me, personally, that's a murderer's row of game companies. When you have EA, Capcom, etc. there too, then I have no reason to complain.

• Upvote 2

Like SabreFan, I'm a PC gamer. I don't play a ton, but I hardly use console games. I bought a Wii a while after they came out and used it for a bit but went back to my PC to play old favourites and some new ones.

This does look interesting from an application standpoint (controllers and multi-player) but I do tend to play a lot of mobile games now. I'm not sure they can win the war on both fronts (mobile and console) if they try and spread it too thin to keep costs reasonable.

3 hours ago, DJSkingz said:

I just don't see this being successful. Nintendo has had a large disconnect with gamers for a long time. They focus too much on "innovation" and "future of gaming" without realising that gamers just want to game. They don't care about gimmicks or innovation. Just give them the games on a console powerful enough to keep up with what is currently out.

I can honestly see Nintendo going the way of Sega if this console flops as hard as WiiU. They will start releasing their IP's on Playstation and Xbox. Now imagine the revenue stream that would produce.

Nintendo is no longer a competitor in the console race. Sony and Microsoft are still running, Nintendo took a detour and can't be found.

Calling it a gimmick is so dismissive, and kinda weird. And what's that based on? Because it's a handheld and a home console, if you want it to be? Like, if you watch the trailer you see the console can basically just be a home console no different than any other.

And handheld gaming is not a gimmick. The DS is the second-best selling "console" of all time, only behind PS2. 3ds has sold 60m units itself. Not exactly a niche market. 

I think what makes the Switch great, judging by the trailer, is that it has OPTIONS. Play on the go, play at home, play in bed, play on your big tv, whatever. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

I'll buy it.

Am I going to carry it around with me wherever I go and start playing games on the bus, walking down the street, etc.? No. I know a few places I would definitely take it, though. Places where I currently take play on my phone or 3ds. But who cares about that, since you don't NEED to take it places?

If the console has fun games I couldn't care less about its specs. And is there any doubt it will have good games? Look at its lineup of developers: Bethesda, Nintendo itself, ATLUS, Square. For me, personally, that's a murderer's row of game companies. When you have EA, Capcom, etc. there too, then I have no reason to complain.

The main take away for me is that they have those developers/publishers with them, at least for the launch.

Wii U had them as well, but lost them right away when the system failed to take off. The main thing holding back the Wii U was its backwards ass architecture that made it difficult to even port games onto it, if they wanted to. Made having a Playstation, Xbox, or PC alternative necessary for big games.

I remember while they were doing PR for the Switch, a few months ago, they mentioned that one their most important goals was to make games easy to develop for it. So as to not scare away third party development. So I assume they did some work on that front.

The only thing I see missing was Ubisoft, but maybe I'm blind.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Lillooet_Hillbilly said:

The Nintendo bait and switch? I was thinking about getting a wii u thingy but now should I just hold out?

Yes.  Get the Switch.  The Wii U never took off in popularity and is going to be abandoned in favour of the Switch.  Plus if you buy the Switch, it will help keep Nintendo alive in the console making/developing market.

Also, you can use a Wii U PC emulator if you want to play those games.

*edit* Forget the PC emulator.  I thought Cemu was farther along than it actually is.

Edited by SabreFan1
Edited to make my point clearer.

42 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

That's because unless they are going with the very latest Nvidia chip, the Switch will be weaker than the current PS4, Xbox.  That also unfortunately means that it's going to be horribly under-powered when it is compared to the upcoming PS4 Pro and Xbox Scorpio.  

Skyrim is already a few years old now.  It doesn't need a lot of power to run these days.

However, you're right though.  People who buy Nintendo are usually more interested in Nintendo's first party titles which don't really need 4-6 terraflops/sec. to be very good games. 

That said, unless the handheld portion of the console takes off, the system will do poorly.  Nintendo is off to a good start on that front though with the 900p graphics that it will run on the portable handheld portion. 

The handheld part is intriguing, so we'll see where it goes.  At the same time, I don't think it is the number one factor to its success.  The main thing Nintendo needs to focus on is having a good selection of their own unique games, not ports of existing PS4/XBOX/PC games (those never do well).  That is and always has been the key to their success.  

Just now, The Sedge said:

The handheld part is intriguing, so we'll see where it goes.  At the same time, I don't think it is the number one factor to its success.  The main thing Nintendo needs to focus on is having a good selection of their own unique games, not ports of existing PS4/XBOX/PC games (those never do well).  That is and always has been the key to their success.

I want them to do well because they are unique and there's a nostalgia factor with them for me, but I definitely think that they are going to live or die with the success of the handheld portion of that console.

• Upvote 1

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

I want them to do well because they are unique and there's a nostalgia factor with them for me, but I definitely think that they are going to live or die with the success of the handheld portion of that console.

It's definitely the nostalgia factor that has me interested.  I use my PC mostly, but it's nice to have a system that favours same screen multiplayer, whereas the xbox/ps4 have all but entirely moved to online multiplayer only.

Just now, The Sedge said:

It's definitely the nostalgia factor that has me interested.  I use my PC mostly, but it's nice to have a system that favours same screen multiplayer, whereas the xbox/ps4 have all but entirely moved to online multiplayer only.

I'm not going to buy the Switch but I will be on the sidelines watching to see how it does.

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

In Nintendo's bold future, Splatoon will be an e-sport watched live by tens of thousands of people.

...Seriously? Currently they have trouble finding tens of thousands to play it.

Agreed. Splatoon is (imo) far from an e-sport, especially with games like Overwatch on the rise.

Now I'd love to see Nintendo back more Super Smash Bros tournaments, views have been growing considerably within just the last year for Melee and Sm4sh. 

Edited by Mimerez
  • Upvote 1

The only thing that concerns me is the battery life (They haven't released any info on it). How long will it last if it's playing a 3D high end graphics game (Skyrim etc)?

Anyways, I'm definitely intrigued. I've only been playing Overwatch lately, with the occasional game of Smash when I'm hanging out with friends. I definitely like the idea of a portable yet powerful console, so honestly I think I'm probably even going to get one (Especially since it has fixed the biggest issue with the Wii U - lack of game developers). 

28 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Yes.  Get the Switch.  The Wii U never took off in popularity and is going to be abandoned in favour of the Switch.  Plus if you buy the Switch, it will help keep Nintendo alive.

Nintendo will not die, even if it's business of making consoles does. The games will continue on as 3rd party games on other consoles.

...For some/many of us, it finally will give us the chance to play them without having to shell out hundreds on a different, inferior box.

Just now, D-Money said:

Nintendo will not die, even if it's business of making consoles does. The games will continue on as 3rd party games on other consoles.

...For some/many of us, it finally will give us the chance to play them without having to shell out hundreds on a different, inferior box.

I misspoke.  Like I said in an earlier post, its titles like Mario and Zelda would end up on Sony and Microsoft's machines.  It would be sad to see.

Sega fell on hard times after they gave up on consoles, but Nintendo's first party games always did better than Sega's.

Nintendo is also sitting on a boatload of cash.

2 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I misspoke.  Like I said in an earlier post, its titles like Mario and Zelda would end up on Sony and Microsoft's machines.  It would be sad to see.

Sega fell on hard times after they gave up on consoles, but Nintendo's first party games always did better than Sega's.

Nintendo is also sitting on a boatload of cash.

Nintendo are still the kings of hand held gaming (3ds). Are they not?

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

Calling it a gimmick is so dismissive, and kinda weird. And what's that based on? Because it's a handheld and a home console, if you want it to be? Like, if you watch the trailer you see the console can basically just be a home console no different than any other.

And handheld gaming is not a gimmick. The DS is the second-best selling "console" of all time, only behind PS2. 3ds has sold 60m units itself. Not exactly a niche market. 

I think what makes the Switch great, judging by the trailer, is that it has OPTIONS. Play on the go, play at home, play in bed, play on your big tv, whatever. 

My gimmick comment was more on past ideas and peripherals that were not well received.

How many of those 60m units are used daily? I have a DS myself but I haven't powered it up in over a year. 

The problems I foresee for the Switch are:

1. Battery life

2. True 3rd party support (guarantee all you will see is under powered ports of older games or remasters, no new triple A games will make it to this console/portable if the specs and architecture are too different from PS4 or XBONE)

3. Cartridge based (name a current gen Triple A game that could fit on a 32GB cartridge; also how would you add patches and updates to the game?)

4. Internal memory (which goes back to #3 because most of the big releases will be pushed as digital only because they won't fit on a cartridge)

5. No backwards compatibility with Wii or WiiU games due to no disc drive

6. Wait time between major Nintendo 1st party titles (WiiU looking at you)

I am going to be waiting and watching. I do hope this does well because I have been gaming since the early 80's and grew up on NES and SNES. I am rooting for Nintendo but their current track record has me sceptical.

That said if there is a true main Metroid released for this thing I may have to pick one up. Lol!