The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nintendo Switch

Mimerez

1 minute ago, DJSkingz said:

My gimmick comment was more on past ideas and peripherals that were not well received.

How many of those 60m units are used daily? I have a DS myself but I haven't powered it up in over a year. 

The problems I foresee for the Switch are:

1. Battery life

2. True 3rd party support (guarantee all you will see is under powered ports of older games or remasters, no new triple A games will make it to this console/portable if the specs and architecture are too different from PS4 or XBONE)

3. Cartridge based (name a current gen Triple A game that could fit on a 32GB cartridge; also how would you add patches and updates to the game?)

4. Internal memory (which goes back to #3 because most of the big releases will be pushed as digital only because they won't fit on a cartridge)

5. No backwards compatibility with Wii or WiiU games due to no disc drive

6. Wait time between major Nintendo 1st party titles (WiiU looking at you)

I am going to be waiting and watching. I do hope this does well because I have been gaming since the early 80's and grew up on NES and SNES. I am rooting for Nintendo but their current track record has me sceptical.

That said if there is a true main Metroid released for this thing I may have to pick one up. Lol!

They sell 128GB Micro SD cards on Amazon for 60$...  I wouldn't worry too much about the cartridges.

I'm happy to see there's a sort of come back of cartridge games here. I don't know what media they're using, but the convenience factor of having a 3DS type loading system was probably the only way to go if they wanted a portable system.

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

I want them to do well because they are unique and there's a nostalgia factor with them for me, but I definitely think that they are going to live or die with the success of the handheld portion of that console.

I think you're thinking of it from your own gaming needs and not realizing there more to the gaming market.  When I (a casual gamer) am going to play a game with my wife Nintendo and it's genre of games is always the preferred system. 

I think most people are looking at this wrong.  Nintendo realized that they aren’t going to be major competitors with Xbox and PS, so they found an alternative.  I think most people don’t have a Nintendo systems as their main or only system.  I think that most online multi-player games are strictly for the hard core gamer.  I feel like if you take two weeks of from those games you fall so far behind.  Nintendo is mostly focussed on the casual fan.  The people that enjoy the slower paced games that all level can enjoy.  When people finally realize that games like Donkey Kong and Mario are Nintendo’s bread and butter, not the COD’s or Battlefields, people will figure out that console specs aren’t extremely important. I have both the Xbox one and Wii U and in my house, far more time is spent on the Nintendo console than xbox. 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I think you're thinking of it from your own gaming needs and not realizing there more to the gaming market.  When I (a casual gamer) am going to play a game with my wife Nintendo and it's genre of games is always the preferred system. 

I think most people are looking at this wrong.  Nintendo realized that they aren’t going to be major competitors with Xbox and PS, so they found an alternative.  I think most people don’t have a Nintendo systems as their main or only system.  I think that most online multi-player games are strictly for the hard core gamer.  I feel like if you take two weeks of from those games you fall so far behind.  Nintendo is mostly focussed on the casual fan.  The people that enjoy the slower paced games that all level can enjoy.  When people finally realize that games like Donkey Kong and Mario are Nintendo’s bread and butter, not the COD’s or Battlefields, people will figure out that console specs aren’t extremely important. I have both the Xbox one and Wii U and in my house, far more time is spent on the Nintendo console than xbox.

We'll see soon enough.  It'll be out in about 5 months which means we'll have an idea of it's success in roughly 8 months from now.

13 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

The Wii U was a massive flop for them financially. I can't see this being a hell of a lot different. It's not a smart idea to cater to the casual gamer and no one else IMO. That's not where the real money is. Mario, DK, and Zelda didn't save the Wii U, so it's hard to believe they will save the Switch. 

I hope it does well though. I never want to see Nintendo die. 

Does it have wireless local play between each Switch? Because their marketing seems to imply you can play with one another if you have multiple Switches at the same location. Which is pretty cool.

Seems you could play it like:

- a home console with multiple controllers on a TV.
- a portable single player tablet/handheld

- a portable local mutiplayer experience with a stand up screen and detachable controllers for 2 player play.

- use of multiple Switches to connect with each other and add more players to the second and third options.

It's kind of like what they were trying to do with the Wii U, with the technology and the functionality that it never had. There's potential here.

Especially if they launch it with more than just the new Zelda game coming out. The Wii U's launch lineup was weak, and it hurt it badly. As was the Gamecube's, relatively speaking. A strong lineup does wonders when getting someone to pick up and stay with your console. Would be cool if that Mario game on the preview was released at launch as well, or that they were able to announce a new Pokemon remake to capitalize on the popularity of Pokemon Go. Or anything along those lines.

I guess we'll find out what is what closer to the launch, but launch titles are very important.

Edited by g_bassi13

2 hours ago, g_bassi13 said:

The main take away for me is that they have those developers/publishers with them, at least for the launch.

Wii U had them as well, but lost them right away when the system failed to take off. The main thing holding back the Wii U was its backwards ass architecture that made it difficult to even port games onto it, if they wanted to. Made having a Playstation, Xbox, or PC alternative necessary for big games.

I remember while they were doing PR for the Switch, a few months ago, they mentioned that one their most important goals was to make games easy to develop for it. So as to not scare away third party development. So I assume they did some work on that front.

The only thing I see missing was Ubisoft, but maybe I'm blind.

Ubisoft is listed on the wiki article as being a developer for the Switch. Unfortunately, Rockstar isn't listed. That's a major drag for me because I think Red Dead Redemption is a top 5 game for me, and I'd be willing to buy a PS4 just to play its sequel.

Anyway, these are all fair points, and I guess I should see what's being developed before I get excited about developers - although Skyrim itself, old as it may be, is a coup all things considered. Is there any reason to think Bethesda would put Skyrim on the Switch but not its next Elder Scrolls project? I certainly can't imagine that being the case, since their objections to the Wii seemed to primarily be about the ridiculous controller requirements. 

I said this in another post, but one thing I like about the ad is the options it suggests. I hope it's possible to switch between controllers easily. Nintendo has some fantastic controllers in its arsenal, and if they were interchangeable then that would be great. I still thing the Nintendo Wii U Pro controller is my favourite one I've ever used. Remarkably similar to other next gen consoles, but something about it just feels better to me. (PS4 controllers feel too slanted or something?) If that, or a similar controller, were a default option, then that alone should nullify most of Bethesda's early reservations for previous gen stuff.

And we all know Square and Atlus both have a good relationship with Nintendo (if DS/3DS are a fair judge) - so I don't see why their top tier series wouldn't move to the main console, barring any absurd hardware issues.

The nerd in me is far more drawn to this stuff than anything else. As much as I enjoyed the first Gears of War games, I have no desire to touch that series again. Same with Uncharted, CoD, and other PS4/XB1 draws. They're just whatever to me now. 4 hours of corridor spamming, copy/pasted stories, and pretty visuals. 

Edited by GLASSJAW

Er, wait:

One of the few third-party games that appeared during the announcement video of Nintendo's new console, the Switch, was The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Despite what you might assume, that doesn't actually mean you'll ever be able to play Skyrim on the system.

"We're happy to have had the opportunity to collaborate with Nintendo on the video," a Bethesda spokesperson told GamesIndustry.biz. "While we are not confirming any specific titles at this time, we are pleased to announce our partnership with Nintendo and support of the Switch. We look forward to revealing specific games and details in the future." Bethesda previously said developing games for what was known at the time as the NX was "definitely something [it] will look at."

Among the games shown during the three-minute video, it's safe to assume we'll eventually see Mario and Mario Kart games on Switch. However, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the only one officially confirmed for the platform at this point.

A press release Nintendo sent out after releasing the video states, "Today's video incorporated short glimpses of representative gameplay to demonstrate the liberating nature of the Nintendo Switch home gaming system."

The video also showed Splatoon, an NBA 2K game, and what could be a new 3D Mario platformer. Skyrim, meanwhile, is currently headed to PC, Xbox One, andPS4 in the form of a remastered version. It's possible Bethesda is looking to avoid stepping on sales of that game--which launches on October 28--by confirming a Switch version today.

For more on Switch, check out our roundup of unanswered questions and look athow accurate rumors about the system turned out to be.

Soooo... maybe no Skyrim, but Bethesda does offer its "partnership with and support" of the console. 

16 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

Ubisoft is listed on the wiki article as being a developer for the Switch. Unfortunately, Rockstar isn't listed. That's a major drag for me because I think Red Dead Redemption is a top 5 game for me, and I'd be willing to buy a PS4 just to play its sequel.

I finally found the logo in the picture as well. I was just a bit blind. But it makes sense, Ubisoft as been partnered with Nintendo for a while now, and were rumoured to be working on this console as well.

As for what you said about Rockstar, it's not necessary that they're missing. They only mentioned Take Two Interactive as a partner, not 2K games or anything. And Rockstar is just a subsidiary of Take Two, even if they're largely independent. That's not a confirmation or anything, but Rockstar's absence in and of itself may not mean too much

• Upvote 1

I mean, they already have Skyrim or the remaster gameplay footage in that video, and that's more Bethesda than Nintendo has got in awhile....so it's already better graphically than the Wii U etc.

Nintendo's main games are games like Mario, Zelda, etc which aren't some powerhouse graphics kind of games. They have their own beautiful looks which don't require the specs that your Uncharteds, etc require.

I think the Switch will be decent. I don't know how much I'll be using the handheld part of it, but it all really boils down to how much support they get by developers. It could be a hit, or it could just fall off. Who knows.

Looks interesting.

I've always associated Nintendo as a gaming console for those casual, family type games.

Where you have a few friends over, and you just kinda chill and have fun.

Nintendo still seems relevant in Japan, albeit its mostly 3DS, Wii games are pretty much non-existent.

Wish there's better game selections internationally though.......

1 hour ago, Kakanucks said:

Looks interesting.

I've always associated Nintendo as a gaming console for those casual, family type games.

Where you have a few friends over, and you just kinda chill and have fun.

Nintendo still seems relevant in Japan, albeit its mostly 3DS, Wii games are pretty much non-existent.

Wish there's better game selections internationally though.......

Casual? No way. Nintendo is tops in my book. sure, the wii is a little kiddish, but they are hands down my favourite console company of all-time. 

Edited by The Weasel

6 minutes ago, The Weasel said:

Casual? No way. Nintendo is tops in my book. sure, the wii is a little kiddish, but they are hands down my favourite console company of all-time. 

Well probably casual compared to the full out gaming consoles.

Nintendo is still my favourite too, wish I still had my SNES