The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nintendo Switch

Mimerez

Nintendo has confirmed the console is not backwards compatible with 3ds cartridges or Wii/Wii U games - probably a good thing, as that suggests the hardware isn't based on weird mechanics or whatever

Nintendo went quiet on whether or not its compatible with phone gaming. Of course they did. And of course it will be compatible with phone gaming: they are about to release their first proper phone game with Mario on iPhone, and Pokemon Go will surely be tied into the new Pokemon title so some extent, I bet.

http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-confirms-no-physical-backwards-compatibility-for-switch-no-comment-on-mobile-games/

Edited by GLASSJAW
  • Upvote 1

I am going to wait at least a year and see what the game catalogue looks like and exactly how much 3rd party support it has.

And who knows, by that time the "next next gen" systems could be announced. The release schedule for new generations is getting crazy.

10 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Perhaps they think the power of a simple blunt suggestion will win over some PS/Xbox gamers?

At first thought this looks very cool. once I started to think about it I realized it's going to be difficult to play this while I drive, or work. fact is I'm an adult.  I work when it's time to work and when it's time to game I do so in front of my 50" 4k tv not in the back seat of a car. 

Its target market is clearly below the age of 18. I don't fit in it. 

They'll be making some money on me for the Nintendo classic though.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

At first thought this looks very cool. once I started to think about it I realized it's going to be difficult to play this while I drive, or work. fact is I'm an adult.  I work when it's time to work and when it's time to game I do so in front of my 50" 4k tv not in the back seat of a car. 

Yeah, same.

But I have 2 little kids who are starting to understand what guns are, so I may have to get this just to have something kid-friendly to play on.

1 hour ago, Gooseberries said:

I would say the concept was targeted for people who live in places where driving isn't the primary transportation.

Eg. Japan, where majority of the population takes public transportation.

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

Yeah, same.

But I have 2 little kids who are starting to understand what guns are, so I may have to get this just to have something kid-friendly to play on.

What's not kid friendly about this?

IMG_0682.PNG

3 hours ago, Gooseberries said:

But you don't have to play this in the back seat of a car. You can play it at home on your 50" TV. It simply gives the options of mobility. 

3 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

But you don't have to play this in the back seat of a car. You can play it at home on your 50" TV. It simply gives the options of mobility. 

But that's what you're paying for though. the gimmick is the mobility. if you don't have the opportunity to game on the go other consoles offer more I find.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Gooseberries said:

I don't even see the under 18 crowd taking along something that can't fit in a pocket. Cell phones have more than enough games to keep them entertained.

Instead of a gimmick,  I would have rather seen them focus on a true livingroom console with enough oomph to play third party titles at the quality of at least the current generation console's for next few years. Would've been a guaranteed buy for me. Not now. 

I honestly see this being another flop for Nintendo unfortunately. 

19 hours ago, Gooseberries said:

But that's what you're paying for though. the gimmick is the mobility. if you don't have the opportunity to game on the go other consoles offer more I find.

you and I obviously come from different markets. when I look at the current generation of consoles, to me the XB1 and PS4 have basically the same hardware, the same mediocre lineup of multiplatform games, the same features, the same everything. instead of continuing or creating the brand identity from previous generations, these consoles created a homogenous market that seems massively shortsighted. 

anyway, i do agree that Nintendo has a gimmick, but i don't agree that it's mobility. I don't care about mobility, so saying that it's "what I'm getting" when I buy the console seems fundamentally incorrect. I don't know a SINGLE person who cares about the Switch's mobility. I'll play it on my TV, and I'll play it, maybe, in bed. that's it. the console's gimmick is, IMO, 100% nostalgia. the console is going to sell massive amounts of units because of nostalgia. the fact that parents can have their kids play it in the back of a car is just a cherry on top for them - but the sundae for the big-spending, late-millennial market is undoubtedly the murderer's row of Pokemon, Mario, Zelda, and so on. 

maybe the console will flop eventually, but I think it'll sell a boatload of units unless there is some terrible revelation in January. Nintendo has all the potential in the world right now. and because mobility is simply an added bonus rather than a hardware/software requirement/gimmick (re: wii), then there is no reason to believe developers would shy away from it. and since developers will release anything to any console for a buck (see: xb1, ps4), there's no reason to believe Switch will fail just yet.

• Upvote 1

Another rumour has arrived.  The Nintendo Switch may have only 4gb of RAM (half of what the XB1 and PS4 have) and 32 GB of on-board storage. :picard: 

The 4gb rumour is probably true since that's all Nintendo's Switch dev kits have.  I would be surprised though if the 32gb on-board rumour was true.  Being that small would be ridiculous even with memory card support.

It looks like they are going to be doubling down on the portable part of the system rather than go head-on with the other consoles.  Only time will tell if this will affect what games 3rd party developers bring to the Switch.

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

Another rumour has arrived.  The Nintendo Switch may have only 4gb of RAM (half of what the XB1 and PS4 have) and 32 GB of on-board storage. :picard: 

The 4gb rumour is probably true since that's all Nintendo's Switch dev kits have.  I would be surprised though if the 32gb on-board rumour was true.  Being that small would be ridiculous even with memory card support.

It looks like they are going to be doubling down on the portable part of the system rather than go head-on with the other consoles.  Only time will tell if this will affect what games 3rd party developers bring to the Switch.

What does this mean?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

What does this mean?

On a portable system, you can try and get away with lesser specs like half of the RAM of your competitor.  The handheld part is 720p which is much less demanding.  I know they have 3rd party commitment for now but I think that they are going to run into problems if they are skimping out on memory chips.  I'm really hoping the rumours about it turn out wrong, but Nintendo has a history of being arrogant and doing what they want. 

• 2 weeks later...