Canucks Community

Nintendo Switch

Mimerez

2 hours ago, Nbanhl said:

Looks like Zelda won't be a launch title

what a let down 

9 hours ago, Incursio said:

I assume this also means the death of the 3DS

i thought i read some higher-up at Nintendo say it isn't, and the 3DS will still be a big market for them, or a different market, or something.

i wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo released a different handheld console at some point. too much money in that department not to.

Seems like it could have done for the Switch what Twilight Princess did for the Wii, but as the game has already been delayed like a year and a half, I can't say whatever extra time gets added is going to particularly bother me too much.

Without in their launch lineup though, they're going to need a game or two that has a big punch behind them. Look at the Gamecube and the Wii U vs. the SNES, Wii, and N64. You don't want to start by playing catch up. The 3DS was able to catch up, but with the kind of competition/market Nintendo is facing, they can't afford to give people reasons not to buy in.

47 minutes ago, g_bassi13 said:

Seems like it could have done for the Switch what Twilight Princess did for the Wii, but as the game has already been delayed like a year and a half, I can't say whatever extra time gets added is going to particularly bother me too much.

Without in their launch lineup though, they're going to need a game or two that has a big punch behind them. Look at the Gamecube and the Wii U vs. the SNES, Wii, and N64. You don't want to start by playing catch up. The 3DS was able to catch up, but with the kind of competition/market Nintendo is facing, they can't afford to give people reasons not to buy in.

yeah, so much of my excitement was based on the (rumoured) great launch titles. now i do have a bit of skepticism in me.

that said, i'd still be interested in trying out the Dragon Quest MMO that I believe is already complete? and of course I'd give Skyrim a proper go. but would rather have some Nintendo-specific titles, like Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, now we're talking. These are just rumours mind you, but this would definitely make me buy the system, even with a GPU that wouldn't be able to make third party titles look as good running on current gen consoles.  Not a deal breaker though for the chance to play my gamecube (and hopefully Wii) collection of games.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/12/07/nintendo-switch-will-run-gamecube-virtual-console-games-says-report

NINTENDO SWITCH WILL RUN GAMECUBE VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAMES, SAYS REPORT

Sh

BY WESLEY COPELAND  The Nintendo Switch may be getting GameCube Virtual Console support.

Three separate sources have confirmed the existence of GameCube titles running via the Switch’s Virtual Console to Eurogamer.

The site says three games have already been prepared and already run on the Switch, the games in question being Super Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion and Super Smash Bros. Melee. A fourth game, Animal Crossing, is also apparently currently being tested.

The number of past platforms to run on Switch is yet to be confirmed by Nintendo. Eurogamer also heard rumblings of an upgrade program similar to what’s been seen on Wii U, whereby owners of the previous games can purchase the game on Switch for a discounted price.

The compatibility work is seemingly being handled by Nintendo European Research and Development (NERD), the same team responsible for the NES Mini.

Finally, Eurogamer reports that Nintendo is also currently working on a way to utilise the Wii U GameCube controller adaptor on Switch, but a decision about the reality of this is yet to be finalised.

Both the Switch and Nvidia Shield share a common GPU – the powerful mobile gaming Tegra chip. The Shield, in fact, is capable of emulating up games up to the quality of the Wii – meaning the Switch's chip is notionally powerful enough to run GameCube and Wii titles.

With Nintendo allowed full access to the Switch’s Tegra chip, it’d be easy to see how the House of N would be able to get GameCube, and perhaps even Wii titles, running smoothly.

On 07/12/2016 at 8:34 PM, MJDDawg said:

OK, now we're talking. These are just rumours mind you, but this would definitely make me buy the system, even with a GPU that wouldn't be able to make third party titles look as good running on current gen consoles.  Not a deal breaker though for the chance to play my gamecube (and hopefully Wii) collection of games.

You do realize that it would be through the Virtual Console meaning you would have to purchase a digital copy of the games you already own on a physical disc?

So you get to buy the games again to play them on the switch? Why? Just play them on a Wii or Gamecube. No extra cost if you already own the games and one of those consoles.

43 minutes ago, DJSkingz said:

You do realize that it would be through the Virtual Console meaning you would have to purchase a digital copy of the games you already own on a physical disc?

So you get to buy the games again to play them on the switch? Why? Just play them on a Wii or Gamecube. No extra cost if you already own the games and one of those consoles.

Ooops, Yeah you're right. I kind of glossed over that. Not sure what I was thinking. 

Well, I'm back to not purchasing. 

• 4 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

even more price leaks pretty much confirming all the earlier price leaks: it'll be 249.99 USD, so about $950 CDN

lots of rumours that Mother 3 (Earthbound 2) will be released as a VC game for Switch as well. 

I really don't like that game though. There's a fan made translation online for it. Was hard to get into. And Earthbound is possibly my favourite game on the SNES.

32 minutes ago, g_bassi13 said:

I really don't like that game though. There's a fan made translation online for it. Was hard to get into. And Earthbound is possibly my favourite game on the SNES.

I figured it must not be good because I've never heard a single person praise it, but still I have hope that I will find something in it worth my time 

If the Switch is over $300 in Canada, it could be a tough sell up here, personally I'm looking very forward to it as I travel a lot and will be great to play all my fav Nintendo franchises when I'm away from home and hope it gets NBA 2k series on it as well.

2 hours ago, AppleJack said:

So unless they are going to make this the actual handheld device they release new pokemon games for I would rather just buy a new 3ds.

Won't know for sure until their reveal announcement in a couple of days. The exact extent of where they want this system to go will be evident. But with the rumour that they won't be killing their handheld line of systems for this thing (which they probably shouldn't), it will be highly unlikely that the pokemon series on the whole will be moved to the Switch.

What they could do, and what they really should do if they like money, is remake the Red/Blue series one more time for this thing. With Pokemon Go being as popular as it is, in large part because of how it tickled a very particular nostalgic cord, it would be printing money to make another game with those 150 pokemon in those same familiar cities with an insane graphical upgrade.