The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nintendo Switch

Mimerez

I can't see myself picking this up right away, as they haven't given me a reason to. I could and probably will just end up getting Zelda for the Wii U on launch.

It's exactly what I did for Twilight Princess and the Game Cube/Wii.

They have little at launch, and even the promised lineup within the year feels very Wii U-ish at the moment. Unique first party games and a bunch of 3rd party ports. And that being without the benefit of a Zombi U type 3rd party exclusive.

But the Wii U had nothing beginning to resemble Zelda, and this Mario odyssey game makes that New super Mario Bros Wii U game look even lazier.

And at least there's a promised trickle through the year. There just needs to be more announcements.

I think the biggest barrier is a $400 CAD starting point for me. I know that is fair conversion from USD to CAD, but it doesn't factor in the standing price points for the XBox One and the PS4. If those are direct competition, then they're kind of pricing themselves out of the market here. Should have taken that into bigger consideration.

It's a bit too rich for my blood, with the aforementioned lack of reason to even immediately need it in the first place.

Edited by g_bassi13
  • Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

definitely going to pick up a switch now that Disgaea 5 has been announced so early after its release (May 23). that's a game/series i've been wanting to get into for a long time now. 

grabbed a BOTW special edition yesterday too, after a few more were added to bestbuy's preorder availability.

still have reservations about the console, but there's already enough coming out this year that should keep me busy and give me my money's worth

1 hour ago, Nbanhl said:

Walmart Canada not doing pre orders, BOTW isn't even up on their site to pre order, the system and the game will be available on their site sometime on the 3rd

i feel like EB and BestBuy were the only major chains around here that were doing pre-orders? only ones i can find, anyway

3 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

i feel like EB and BestBuy were the only major chains around here that were doing pre-orders? only ones i can find, anyway

Did you pre order? I wasn't able to get one, hoping I can buy one at launch or shortly after online

1 hour ago, Nbanhl said:

Did you pre order? I wasn't able to get one, hoping I can buy one at launch or shortly after online

nope, i didnt. im hoping for the same, but i think i'll try smaller shops at opening time before going to bestbuy or walmart - i imagine there will be lineups there

although i heard a lot of walmarts have midnight openings? im not 100% sure if any BC ones do though

Buying a console at launch is such a waste. With all the corners gaming companies cut these days to meet deadlines and targets the Early Adopters become quality control. They get to find and deal with all the bugs that the company then patches out with UI and system updates.

However, were it not for the sheep buying all of these electronics at launch, there would not be new generations of machines being produced. it's the early adopters that set the benchmark.

So thank you to everyone that will be buying this questionable console at launch. I will know in a couple of years if this is worth spending $100 on when there is a plethora of used consoles for sale.

• 2 weeks later...

i bought one today on a whim. was surprised to see so many in stock at EB games, but I'm sure they're all gone at my local place now. can't believe so many people are charging 600-700 online for them when stores have them IN STOCK

anyway. haven't played anything yet (Zelda is in the mail), but my first impression is that the console AS A HANDHELD feels absolutely fantastic. it doesn't feel cheap, too heavy or too light. the screen is great. the width of it could take some getting used to (moving from a 3ds), but its surprisingly small.

anyway, not sure how this would work as a home TV console for someone, but for me and my very limited gaming needs/wants, i expect this will definitely keep me happy for a while.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Mimerez said:

Feels bad when Amazon still hasn't shipped its first batch of pre-orders 

brutal. do you know where the amazon warehouse is? my pre-order of SE zelda was shipped from bestbuy and should be delivered this morning

what's up with amazon?

3 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

brutal. do you know where the amazon warehouse is? my pre-order of SE zelda was shipped from bestbuy and should be delivered this morning

what's up with amazon?

I always just assumed it was in the Amazon rainforest.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

what's up with amazon?

It's in Mississauga, which is weird since I live 45 minutes away in Waterloo. 

Basically, I won't be getting my Switch and BoTW SE for another week according to the rep I spoke with <_<

6 minutes ago, Mimerez said:

It's in Mississauga, which is weird since I live 45 minutes away in Waterloo. 

Basically, I won't be getting my Switch and BoTW SE for another week according to the rep I spoke with <_<

damn dude, I would just go buy one or order from a difference source then cancel your pre-order.

i called around this morning and two stores (walmart, london drugs) both said new shipments should arrive by wednesday at the latest. no point in waiting at least a week for a pre-order shipment IMO.

I ordered one very early this morning on walmart.ca, it has yet to ship, should be here sometime next week...

Zelda was ordered from bestbuy and it is scheduled to arrive on monday

btw im mainly using this as a handheld.

Edited by Nbanhl