The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

65 points! Magic number thread

alt kilgore

Now only 59 points to go!

USA today:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/columnist/allen/2016/10/07/nhl-point-record-projections-explanation/91734284/

Question: Are the Vancouver Canucks (65 points) really going to be worse than the Maple Leafs (69 points) were last season?

This prediction is only 10 fewer points than the Canucks managed last season. They won 31 games last season, and I’m saying they will win 28 this season and have less luck in the shootout.

People are getting too hung up on the points. History says there might be unexpected fluctuations in points near the bottom because we can’t be sure how many extra points we will see because of overtimes and shootouts.

While the Canucks made moves in the offseason, I believe the Flames, Arizona Coyotes and Edmonton Oilers are more improved.

ESPN:

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/17761628/nhl-power-rankings-pittsburgh-penguins-begin-top-perch

30. Vancouver Canucks

Everyone else seems to be moving forward while the Canucks, most charitably, seem to be going sideways -- or is that in circles?

nhl-standings-projections-2016-v2.jpg

I thought it might be good to keep track of how we are doing through the season.  Gee, I sure hope we get to 65!  Maybe even 70!  Lets see.

4 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

EASports had us at 63. That is my measuring stick. Manage to the lowest expectations ::D 

So only 57 more points to go!

Yeah the EA was the lowest....not only that they have 29th place Colorado 74 points....we are last by 11 points!

Just now, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Nice to see the way this fanbase has embraced underdog status and is rallying behind the idea of this team proving the predictions wrong. :) 

We have too, the McDavids and Mathews are gone...probably won't be anything like them for several years now...

19 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

EASports had us at 63. That is my measuring stick. Manage to the lowest expectations ::D 

Considering they make the game in Burnaby, they sure are absolute idiots setting player overalls for our team. 

Had they advised me or countless other Cdc members, they wouldn't look like absolute idiots. 

Seriously that one really grinded my gears... I know guys that work on these games are probably full on nerds and don't know anything about hockey, but to miss grade your hometown team... That's pathetic and just shows these guys have 0 hockey knowledge. 

Definitely won't be buying their garbage game this year :) 

18 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Nice to see the way this fanbase has embraced underdog status and is rallying behind the idea of this team proving the predictions wrong. :) 

It seems like the players are as well. They hear all the same bits from the media we do whether they admit it or not.

32 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

I did see that but decided to go with the number from a paper that has actual so-called sports writers as opposed to a video game company.

Do you know how bad we'd need to be for 65 or 63?

Well, last season was worse than the Torts season point wise with 75 points.

But also last season, the Oilers were worse with 70.

The Torts year in 2013-14 - which wasn't long ago - we finished with 83 points. That's the end result of what was deemed a disastrous season.

That same year, though, the Oilers finished worse with 67 points. 

So, this season we'd not only have to be worse than the disastrous Torts year and last season but EVEN WORSE than the Oilers in both of those previous seasons.

Think about that for a second. 

Archived