The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks 4-0-0

TheRussianRocket.

Bit of a sloppier game defensively, you can see the mistakes starting to creep in, but unlike last season when we make defensive mistakes we don't compound them - someone's always there to mop up someone else's mistakes and if not, Markstrom is there to save the day at the end. That sort of layered defence is how you win games, especially in the playoffs.

1) Eriksson really hasn't done much and the Sedins were pretty average once again 5-on-5. All powerplay long they struggled and finally put together a pretty important game winning goal on the PP. They've been quiet all season long except for when it counts most and that's just great leadership. The Sedins piling up the game winning goals. Still, we need to chance this PP desperately and Eriksson really needs to start to get going and scoring some goals.

2) Hansen, Granlund and Sutter are yet again our best line, especially 5-on-5. They do it all, great PKing, great defence, great speed and a great goal. Sutter is IMO this team's MVP right now and we're seeing him do exactly what Kesler did for this team in it's prime. They're undoubtedly our best all-round line so far, Hansen looks like he's taking his game to a new level without the Sedins, we're seeing what Sutter can actually do when healthy which is scary good and Granlund is slowly starting to emerge and really complements the line nicely. Without these 3 we don't win many of the first 4 games.

3) Horvat had little bursts of good play here and there but is struggling to generate offence with his linemates. Baertschi has REALLY struggled so far, I think expectations of him scoring 20 were a bit high and we need to be patient with him, hoppefully like Eriksson he'll start scoring more and generating more offence soon. Skille is a tough linemate to have for both, but as a trio they were decent defensively (except for the own goal against). I really think having Rodin in there instead of Skille will completely change the line and give Baertschi and Horvat more to work with offensively.

4) Gaunce has been decent so far, we haven't asked much from him and he's done it all, and Burrows and Dorsett were a bit more quiet tonight but did all they needed to do. Obviously for 7M for two 4th liners you expect a lot more but for their ice-time they're doing a good job. Not their best game, not their worst.

5) Edler and Tanev were huge tonight, very tidy defensively and our best pairing. Nothing flashy tonight but they didn't get embarassed by a red-hot Buffalo offence that has recently exploded against Edmonton and was flying high with confidence. Great job by these 2 tonight.

6) Gudbranson and Hutton really struggled against the Buffalo forwards tonight, they came a bit unravelled. Gudbranson took a completely unecessary, stupid penalty late in the game that could have cost us the win and was a bit of a retaliation hit. Hopefully he gets a talking to after that. As for Hutton, he was really challenged by the big strong Buffalo forwards. This was a great game to see how this pairing would go shutting down physical, strong forwards and they were exposed a few times so hopefully they can clean up that side of their game before the matches against the Sharks, Kings and Ducks because it'll be a lot more of the same there.

7) Sbisa and Larsen both had strong games IMO. Larsen looks amazing defensively skating the puck out and around the defensive zone, and obviously has some quick hands and feet on the PP to keep the play going when often in the past Edler would miss it or let it go. He's by no means a complete defender but putting him with Sbisa has been magic, they're one of the best 3rd pairings in the league. Sbisa had a strong game tonight as well, another game with a few big hits, he was great on the PK and wasn't a liability defensively at all all night long.

8) Our special teams finally comes through with a nice PP goal, despite very few A-grade chances. Even the goal was a sharp angle shot. We need to work on getting that point shot through a bit more and I think we need to take out one of Eriksson or Sutter because two of them is a bit superfolous, especially if we can't get point shots through two screens in front. I say take Eriksson or Sutter out, throw in Edler on the point and take more point shots with screens. Regardless, that was a clutch Sedin goal on the PP.

The PK has been brilliant so far and apart from the one goal we let in a few days ago, they've done fantastically. Buffalo had a red-hot PP and didn't get a sniff, mainly thanks to goaltending.

9) Markstrom has been brilliant in the last 2 games, our best player, and the final safety net. He's had to stop a couple A-grade chances at key moments in both the last 2 games and only really let in an own goal tonight so really does deserve the shutout. Brilliant clutch game by him, we'll see if he can keep it going over longer stretches but hopefully we don't burn him out too early in the season.

TL;DR - Another great defensive effort against a very good Buffalo offence, Hutton and Gudbranson showed some cracks but clutch goals by our top 2 lines and fantastic goaltending wins the game. Markstrom is really emerging but he's been hit a few times in the last couple of games and really needs Miller to come back and give him a break soon.

1 minute ago, Vanisleryan said:

Look at Edmonton's GA and GF compared to ours...that run and gun no defense wont provide success for long. Fun to watch but you nothing to watch come playoff time.

Other pundits would say our low scoring affairs isn't sustainable either. Yet here we are. One thing is for sure we need to put away some of the grade A chances.

7 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Just off the top of my head I don't think he's ever played an injury free season. He always misses quite a few games.

Fingers crossed

82 games first season

82 games second season

48 games third season  (lockout)

81 games fourth season

80 games fifth season

I would say the top of your head is broken

The team played brilliant tonight. Although we didn't get the shutout, though we should've,  the boys played well and fought hard all night long. Congrats to Hansen yet again for scoring his 100th career goal. Daniel finally ended the PP drought. Still disappointed Eriksson hasn't scored his first yet but it will eventually come. Markstrom was brilliant as well. Should've gotten a shutout. Overall, this is a team that deserves to be undefeated because of their great offensive and defensive play, their awesome goaltending tandem and also because they play with all their heart out there. Go Canucks Go!

it is quite rare for me to look at the standing of the entire league's view. Last year, I used to look at it in division view, and see hey we are not that bad, even though we sucked hard last year. But can you believe it??? Edmonton always behind Vancouver but they are now the second in the entire league. McDavid much

4 minutes ago, Barry_Wilkins said:

It's actually the opposite. Before he came to the Canucks he missed about 3 games the previous 5 years. Just unlucky last year.

Great. I have no idea why i believed that but I think it's since last year when he was injured. Pbby from someone on here. Just looked it up to confirm and he's very durable. 

Good news, well,,, it's news to me anyways... lol.

Just now, Tavrohorvat53 said:

Other pundits would say our low scoring affairs isn't sustainable either. Yet here we are. One thing is for sure we need to put away some of the grade A chances.

they are struggling to score, but a solid d and goaltending will take them a long way. They are much better in D as a team compared to last yr.

I think in time, the lines will gel and start to score more.

Just now, DownUndaCanuck said:

Bit of a sloppier game defensively, you can see the mistakes starting to creep in, but unlike last season when we make defensive mistakes we don't compound them - someone's always there to mop up someone else's mistakes and if not, Markstrom is there to save the day at the end. That sort of layered defence is how you win games, especially in the playoffs.

1) Eriksson really hasn't done much and the Sedins were pretty average once again 5-on-5. All powerplay long they struggled and finally put together a pretty important game winning goal on the PP. They've been quiet all season long except for when it counts most and that's just great leadership. The Sedins piling up the game winning goals. Still, we need to chance this PP desperately and Eriksson really needs to start to get going and scoring some goals.

2) Hansen, Granlund and Sutter are yet again our best line, especially 5-on-5. They do it all, great PKing, great defence, great speed and a great goal. Sutter is IMO this team's MVP right now and we're seeing him do exactly what Kesler did for this team in it's prime. They're undoubtedly our best all-round line so far, Hansen looks like he's taking his game to a new level without the Sedins, we're seeing what Sutter can actually do when healthy which is scary good and Granlund is slowly starting to emerge and really complements the line nicely. Without these 3 we don't win many of the first 4 games.

3) Horvat had little bursts of good play here and there but is struggling to generate offence with his linemates. Baertschi has REALLY struggled so far, I think expectations of him scoring 20 were a bit high and we need to be patient with him, hoppefully like Eriksson he'll start scoring more and generating more offence soon. Skille is a tough linemate to have for both, but as a trio they were decent defensively (except for the own goal against). I really think having Rodin in there instead of Skille will completely change the line and give Baertschi and Horvat more to work with offensively.

4) Gaunce has been decent so far, we haven't asked much from him and he's done it all, and Burrows and Dorsett were a bit more quiet tonight but did all they needed to do. Obviously for 7M for two 4th liners you expect a lot more but for their ice-time they're doing a good job. Not their best game, not their worst.

5) Edler and Tanev were huge tonight, very tidy defensively and our best pairing. Nothing flashy tonight but they didn't get embarassed by a red-hot Buffalo offence that has recently exploded against Edmonton and was flying high with confidence. Great job by these 2 tonight.

6) Gudbranson and Hutton really struggled against the Buffalo forwards tonight, they came a bit unravelled. Gudbranson took a completely unecessary, stupid penalty late in the game that could have cost us the win and was a bit of a retaliation hit. Hopefully he gets a talking to after that. As for Hutton, he was really challenged by the big strong Buffalo forwards. This was a great game to see how this pairing would go shutting down physical, strong forwards and they were exposed a few times so hopefully they can clean up that side of their game before the matches against the Sharks, Kings and Ducks because it'll be a lot more of the same there.

7) Sbisa and Larsen both had strong games IMO. Larsen looks amazing defensively skating the puck out and around the defensive zone, and obviously has some quick hands and feet on the PP to keep the play going when often in the past Edler would miss it or let it go. He's by no means a complete defender but putting him with Sbisa has been magic, they're one of the best 3rd pairings in the league. Sbisa had a strong game tonight as well, another game with a few big hits, he was great on the PK and wasn't a liability defensively at all all night long.

8) Our special teams finally comes through with a nice PP goal, despite very few A-grade chances. Even the goal was a sharp angle shot. We need to work on getting that point shot through a bit more and I think we need to take out one of Eriksson or Sutter because two of them is a bit superfolous, especially if we can't get point shots through two screens in front. I say take Eriksson or Sutter out, throw in Edler on the point and take more point shots with screens. Regardless, that was a clutch Sedin goal on the PP.

The PK has been brilliant so far and apart from the one goal we let in a few days ago, they've done fantastically. Buffalo had a red-hot PP and didn't get a sniff, mainly thanks to goaltending.

9) Markstrom has been brilliant in the last 2 games, our best player, and the final safety net. He's had to stop a couple A-grade chances at key moments in both the last 2 games and only really let in an own goal tonight so really does deserve the shutout. Brilliant clutch game by him, we'll see if he can keep it going over longer stretches but hopefully we don't burn him out too early in the season.

TL;DR - Another great defensive effort against a very good Buffalo offence, Hutton and Gudbranson showed some cracks but clutch goals by our top 2 lines and fantastic goaltending wins the game. Markstrom is really emerging but he's been hit a few times in the last couple of games and really needs Miller to come back and give him a break soon.

Love the write ups you post!

3 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

82 games first season

82 games second season

48 games third season  (lockout)

81 games fourth season

80 games fifth season

I would say the top of your head is broken

I agree. atleast for today. I think it needs a tune up. 

7 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

He's a lot more similar to Mitchell than Bieksa imho.

Not as stupid and aggressive as Juice in terms of jumping up in a play. More of a calming influence just hovering and guarding the blueline like Willie used to B) 

Agreed, he is definitely not as hot headed and random as Juice. But he is the first defenceman we have had since him,  that the opposition definitely looks to keep their head up against. (Doesn't hurt that he is way more steady in the defensive zone either!) You have no idea how much I grinned when he went out of his way to knock Larsson down.

Hey, it's almost like Willie mentored both Bieksa and Gudbranson when they were rookies. :ph34r: I'm just really happy to have him here!

Archived