The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal/discussion] Top 6 forward

The only teams that I can see being interested in our wares are Ottawa and Philadelphia.  They also have good scoring wingers.  Hoffman/Stone/Schenn/Read.  Nobody is trading us Voracek or Simmonds.  

I don't think this is too crazy:

tanev and gaunce

for

schenn and sanheim.

they have so many LHD.  Tanev would be their number one guy.  Sanheim is not likely to ever play for them, and they desperately need a quality shut down guy on the right side.  Schenn is an awesome two way guy who would fit up and down the lineup and he is young and on a decent contract.  Gaunce is a LW/C who is young, so they instantly replace the spot.  They get the best player, and we get the best prospect in the deal.  Both teams improve from the trade.

the Ottawa trade is a little trickier, but I would do tanev for either Hoffman or stone and a pick.

Lastly, I would also do landeskog and a 2nd for tanev and Virtanen.  Fair deal for both teams.  I also think you would see both teams improve after the trade.  I think this is the least likely to happen as Colorado has both Johnson and Barrie on the right side.  Both are not great defensively though.  At the risk of getting hung by the lynch mob,  I would also do Hutton and Virtanen for landeskog and a 2nd.  They probably don't value tanev and Hutton as the same though.

I would also have interest in Duchene as I think his wheels would have a lot of chemistry with Horvat.  I can't see how we can make a deal happen for him as either side would see any combination as an overpayment.  He lacks the intangibles to justify giving the limited quality that we have.

Philly and Colorado are really in need of defensive depth.  Either would also be a good landing spot for our depth D like Sbisa and Biega in a minor deal.  

I would also love to see what we could get for Markstrom.  I am not saying we do it, but Miller looks good enough to stay relevant for another 2 years which is when Demko and Garteig will be ready.  If Markstrom plus spare parts or later picks gets you into a conversation for any of these players how do you not do it?

We do need a physical scoring forward for the top 6.  I have confidence Virtanen will be that, but I also think he is 3 years away from that.  Winning and confidence develop players a lot better than losing, so I would rather continue with what Jim is doing by reducing the average age of the roster by picking up mid twenties NHL ready players.

2 hours ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

The only teams that I can see being interested in our wares are Ottawa and Philadelphia.  They also have good scoring wingers.  Hoffman/Stone/Schenn/Read.  Nobody is trading us Voracek or Simmonds.  

I don't think this is too crazy:

tanev and gaunce

for

schenn and sanheim.

they have so many LHD.  Tanev would be their number one guy.  Sanheim is not likely to ever play for them, and they desperately need a quality shut down guy on the right side.  Schenn is an awesome two way guy who would fit up and down the lineup and he is young and on a decent contract.  Gaunce is a LW/C who is young, so they instantly replace the spot.  They get the best player, and we get the best prospect in the deal.  Both teams improve from the trade.

the Ottawa trade is a little trickier, but I would do tanev for either Hoffman or stone and a pick.

Lastly, I would also do landeskog and a 2nd for tanev and Virtanen.  Fair deal for both teams.  I also think you would see both teams improve after the trade.  I think this is the least likely to happen as Colorado has both Johnson and Barrie on the right side.  Both are not great defensively though.  At the risk of getting hung by the lynch mob,  I would also do Hutton and Virtanen for landeskog and a 2nd.  They probably don't value tanev and Hutton as the same though.

I would also have interest in Duchene as I think his wheels would have a lot of chemistry with Horvat.  I can't see how we can make a deal happen for him as either side would see any combination as an overpayment.  He lacks the intangibles to justify giving the limited quality that we have.

Philly and Colorado are really in need of defensive depth.  Either would also be a good landing spot for our depth D like Sbisa and Biega in a minor deal.  

I would also love to see what we could get for Markstrom.  I am not saying we do it, but Miller looks good enough to stay relevant for another 2 years which is when Demko and Garteig will be ready.  If Markstrom plus spare parts or later picks gets you into a conversation for any of these players how do you not do it?

We do need a physical scoring forward for the top 6.  I have confidence Virtanen will be that, but I also think he is 3 years away from that.  Winning and confidence develop players a lot better than losing, so I would rather continue with what Jim is doing by reducing the average age of the roster by picking up mid twenties NHL ready players.

Sorry, all of these proposals sounds like a big NO for us... Just bad trades. 

3 hours ago, Type R said:

Who would you propose replaces Tanev in our lineup?

I like elder better with Stetcher or Larsen.  Tryamkin and Sbisa wouldn't be too bad as a third pair with either Larsen or Stetcher available as alternatives.  This also may push Pedan into a 7th-8th role which everyone wanted.  I definitely think the overal improvement would be worth it.

Yeah, I have to disagree, giving up a strong defensive defenseman and replacing him with a 5-6 defenseman with little NHL experience doesn't work for me.  I'm still questioning Larsens current position on this team. 

Archived