The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Putin Aide's E-Mail Gets Hacked

SabreFan1

Over 1 GB of emails belonging to a top Putin aide were hacked. 

The emails show that despite the claims of the Russian government, Putin and company have been intimately involved in the Ukrainian separatist movement (in other news, water is wet).

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ukraine-crisis/payback-russia-gets-hacked-revealing-putin-aide-s-secrets-n673956

Karma, it turns out, is a borscht.

A Ukrainian group calling itself Cyber Hunta has released more than a gigabyte of emails and other material from the office of one of Vladimir Putin's top aides, Vladislav Surkov, that show Russia's fingerprints all over the separatist movement in the Ukraine.

While the Kremlin has denied the relationship between Moscow and the separatists, the emails show in great detail how Russia controlled virtually every detail of the separatist effort in the Russian-speaking regions of the Ukraine, which has torn Ukraine apart and led to a Russian takeover of Crimea.

And unlike the reported Russian hack of the Democratic National Committee, the Ukrainian hack reached deep into the office of the Russian president.

"This is a serious hack," said Maks Czuperski, head of the Digital Forensic Research Lab of the Atlantic Council (DFRL), which has searched through the email dump and placed selected emails on-line.

Sabrefan1 Edit: There's more to the story but this part gives the general idea.  Click the link if you're interested in reading about it.

oh weird, I literally have Surkov's wikipedia page open in the tab next door

he's pretty fascinating. I'd actually be much more interested in reading his emails than either Clinton or Trump

edit a few random snippets

On 17 March 2014, the day after the Crimean status referendum, Surkov became one of the first eleven persons who were placed under executive sanctions on the Specially Designated Nationals List (SDN) by President Obama, freezing his assets in the US and banning him from entering the United States. Surkov responded to this by telling: "The only things that interest me in the US are Tupac Shakur, Allen Ginsberg, and Jackson Pollock. I don’t need a visa to access their work."

In 2013 Surkov has been characterized as the engineer of 'a system of make-believe', 'a land of imitation political parties, stage-managed media and fake social movements'.[50] British film maker Adam Curtis has said that Surkov has imported ideas from the avant-garde art world into politics in order to undermine the Western perception of the world, to make politics a piece of theatre, and create confusion.

Surkov wrote the preface to the 2009 pseudonymous bestselling satirical novel Almost Zero. The author was "Natan Dubovitsky", which is the male form of his wife's last name. Conflicting statements in the preface added to the speculation that Surkov was the author of the novel.[12] Proceeding on that assumption, The Economist wrote that the novel "expos[ed] the vices of the system he himself had created"

13 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Over 1 GB of emails belonging to a top Putin aide were hacked. 

The emails show that despite the claims of the Russian government, Putin and company have been intimately involved in the Ukrainian separatist movement (in other news, water is wet).

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ukraine-crisis/payback-russia-gets-hacked-revealing-putin-aide-s-secrets-n673956

Wha????????????

You mean all those guys wearing balaclavas wearing Russian army uniforms (minus the logos) and using Russian weapons and tanks, weren't random mercenaries as the Russian government was claiming. I am absolutely shocked that Putin would do something like this.

4 minutes ago, taxi said:

Wha????????????

You mean all those guys wearing balaclavas wearing Russian army uniforms (minus the logos) and using Russian weapons and tanks, weren't random mercenaries as the Russian government was claiming. I am absolutely shocked that Putin would do something like this.

Like I said, "in other news, water is wet".  :lol:

Just now, Art Vandelay said:

I think they need make a more secure email servers. Hacked emails everywhere.

Did you come up with that all by yourself?  :huh:

Anything what-so-ever that gets connected to the internet will never be completely secure.  Welcome to the digital age.

1 hour ago, The Bookie said:

oh weird, I literally have Surkov's wikipedia page open in the tab next door

he's pretty fascinating. I'd actually be much more interested in reading his emails than either Clinton or Trump

edit a few random snippets

I need to get my hands on that novel, lmao

11 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

I need to get my hands on that novel, lmao

Wiki said it had been translated into english but according to google it seems hard to track down. There were a few reddit posts asking where to find it and nobody seemed to have suggestions. If you find it anywhere let me know.

Here's a long review of it though

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v33/n20/peter-pomerantsev/putins-rasputin

edit found a sci fi short story by him

http://www.bewilderingstories.com/issue582/without_sky.html

12 minutes ago, The Bookie said:

Wiki said it had been translated into english but according to google it seems hard to track down. There were a few reddit posts asking where to find it and nobody seemed to have suggestions. If you find it anywhere let me know.

Here's a long review of it though

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v33/n20/peter-pomerantsev/putins-rasputin

edit found a sci fi short story by him

http://www.bewilderingstories.com/issue582/without_sky.html

I wonder when it was translated? I can't find anything online elsewhere saying it was translated - but I do see reviews on plenty of English websites. I don't understand why something that controversial WOULDNT be translated, but maybe the controversy is what prevents it. Who knows.

4 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Did you come up with that all by yourself?  :huh:

Anything what-so-ever that gets connected to the internet will never be completely secure.  Welcome to the digital age.

Welcome to cheating out on infrastructure more than anything all they have to do is direct connect all computers and then done.

5 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

I wonder when it was translated? I can't find anything online elsewhere saying it was translated - but I do see reviews on plenty of English websites. I don't understand why something that controversial WOULDNT be translated, but maybe the controversy is what prevents it. Who knows.

...or possibly this is just a little taste of the media games he plays?

3 hours ago, Violator said:

Welcome to cheating out on infrastructure more than anything all they have to do is direct connect all computers and then done.

Their own intranet in other words.  Those aren't 100% secure either unless they are all in the same room/building.

Archived