The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Surrey Creep Catchers Rant

Bunter Shinkorvat

3 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Yes for sure. Pedophiles deserve to be killed. I just find this the wrong way to go about it...kind of seems like entrapment.

Of course it's entrapment, but the kid is still a danger.  Heck, he might not even understand what he's doing is wrong?  Creep Catchers appears to be full of creeps too, of a different kind, but still creeps.  

5 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

That's fair I guess but the Creep Catchers "Man" they caught im the article says he has ADHD not autism.

Phelps has ADHD too and he self medicated and has been a fully functional member of society.

A disability is different from a mental personality defect like a personality disorder.

To say this kid has a disability as if he is handicapped or has special needs is a stretch.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/creep-busters-ambush-of-man-with-mental-disability-called-vigilantism-1.4009147

His father says he has a mental disability, and I think it's clear from the video this guy isn't exactly firing on all cylinders. 

19 minutes ago, Pepe Silvia said:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/creep-busters-ambush-of-man-with-mental-disability-called-vigilantism-1.4009147

His father says he has a mental disability, and I think it's clear from the video this guy isn't exactly firing on all cylinders. 

It's Preet vague though. I know this is semantics bit the dad might think ADHD is a disability when it's not.

It might be a personality disorder but I think handicap and disability as obviously mentally or physically incapable.

He seems a little slow and immature. Nothing that would scream special needs.

From CKNW:

Surrey Creep Catchers president Ryan LaForge is now facing a third lawsuit.

Plaintiff Sean Smith of Campbell River posted a video in December he claims criticized creep catchers vigilante groups in general.

The next day, he alleges LaForge posted a video to 11,000 Facebook followers insinuating Smith was himself a pedophile.

After that, he says LaForge posted pictures of Smith, with captions directly calling him a pedophile such as “I love the smell of kids in the morning.”

“You cannot go online and accuse people of being this heinous thing without evidence, without proof, without the law enforcement and the court system saying you’re guilty of this crime.”

Smith says this carried on for months and nothing has been deleted.

“I continue to get death threats on a fairly regular basis, I get called a goof and a pedophile. As a social media educator that teaches kids, being called a pedophile is not really what you want to have in your marketing.”

None of these allegations have been proven in court.

“Bring it on”

When asked for comment about the lawsuit, Surrey Creep Catchers president Ryan LaForge had three words: “Bring it on.”

“I never once called him a pedophile. I said he looks like one.”

In response to whether that could be interpreted as suggesting Smith was a pedophile, LaForge says had this to say:

“If that’s how he wants to take it, he should stop protecting pedophiles, putting down our group, and trying to cover up the fact that he doesn’t agree with what we do by saying he does agree with what we do – but we should do it in another way. He is a pedophile supporter. And he can sue me, I don’t care.”

LaForge says if anything, Smith is behind the war of words, by going online after Creep Catchers stings to make unfair accusations about him.

“So every once in a while I’ll get annoyed with something that he’s made an accusation of or a claim. And then I’ll go live and I’ll tell him to [expletive] off.”

“He’s put my name out there, he’s defamed me more than I’ve defamed him. He’s made assumptions, accusations, all kinds of things on his little page, more than I’ve done so with him.”

READ MORE: B.C. privacy watchdog investigating Surrey Creep Catchers following complaint

Asked if he would take down any of the allegedly defamatory material from social media, LaForge says “No, Never.”

The Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner is investigating multiple complaints about the Surrey Creep Catchers.

With files from Bailey Nicholson, Simon Little and Emily Lazatin

• 3 weeks later...

Surrey Creep Catchers president arrested after confrontation with alleged target

Ryan Laforge was taken into custody Monday, released on promise to appear

CBC News Posted: Apr 04, 2017 3:01 PM PT Last Updated: Apr 04, 2017 4:58 PM PT

Surrey Creep Catchers posted a video online Monday showing a confrontation with a man they allege targeted a six-year-old girl for sex. The groups' president, Ryan Laforge (left), was arrested on suspicion of assault after the incident.

Surrey Creep Catchers posted a video online Monday showing a confrontation with a man they allege targeted a six-year-old girl for sex. The groups' president, Ryan Laforge (left), was arrested on suspicion of assault after the incident. (Surrey Creep Catchers/Facebook)

Surrey RCMP have confirmed the president of a controversial vigilante group in the city was arrested for allegedly assaulting a target during a "sting" on Monday evening.

Members of Surrey Creep Catchers confronted a man they claimed was trying to solicit a six-year-old girl for sex, according to an online post.

In a video, the group's vice president appears to pose as the girl's mother in order to facilitate the meeting.

RyanLaForge

Ryan Laforge, the president of Surrey Creep Catchers, was arrested on Monday. (Ryan Laforge/Surrey Creep Catchers/Facebook)

The clip later shows president Ryan Laforge appearing to pin the man up against a wall, yelling at him.

On Tuesday, Surrey RCMP confirmed they responded to the scene on King George Blvd at around 6:40 p.m.

Laforge was arrested on suspicion of assault and later released from custody on a promise to appear, according to a statement.

The RCMP said members are also aware of allegations of child luring and have reviewed video showing some of Monday's incident.

Cpl. Scotty Schumann said a "thorough investigation" is ongoing.

Mounties also confirmed Laforge alerted them to his plans to confront a target Sunday. An officer said the group's president was asked to turn over any evidence to police, rather than meet the man himself.

Laforge stated the opposite in an online post in which he said RCMP was "fine with" his plan.

Officials denounce vigilantism

Creep Catchers has several chapters in different cities across Canada.

Group members claim to expose people they allege to be sexual predators by posing as minors online, then messaging them and arranging to meet in public locations.

The confrontations that follow are filmed and posted online, along with previous messages, in an effort to shame the men.

Law enforcement officials across the country have repeatedly denounced vigilantism, saying it "only increases the risk to the public."

"They're not professionals, they don't understand the case law and often it's very hard to obtain the evidence," Insp. Tyler Svendson told CBC News in September. "With the RCMP, we have a very high success rate in all of our investigations because we have highly trained online covert investigators."

The Surrey Creep Catchers is currently being investigated by B.C.'s privacy watchdog after the office received a complaint.

No details about the complaint of the investigation have been released.

Since February, Laforge has been sued twice for defamation. None of the allegations have been proven in court.

CBC News has reached out to Laforge for comment on Monday's incident.

Man this guy just makes a bigger fool of himself by the minute. 

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

I sometimes wonder if Laforge and some others that do this creep catcher stuff actually get their sexual joy by pretending to be kids that are being "procured" for perhaps sexual purpose?

Does Laforge make money through this "Creep Catchers" website or in any other way from his Creep Catchers activity?  I'm wondering if this is more about money, and less about getting creeps off the streets?

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

link to their facebook page.https://www.facebook.com/surreycreepcatcher/?ref=page_internal&hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE&fref=nf

seems they sell  Creep catcher apparel.

Would an entity like Creep Catchers have non-profit status?  Laforge getting arrested might (ironically) be good for his business.  The more I read (learn) about these guys, the more it looks like they are (likely) just about making money.  

15 hours ago, Alflives said:

Would an entity like Creep Catchers have non-profit status?  Laforge getting arrested might (ironically) be good for his business.  The more I read (learn) about these guys, the more it looks like they are (likely) just about making money.  

Laforge himself is a former drug dealer. He was arrested in 2009 for possession with the intent of trafficking and found guilty of a lesser included offence in March of 2011. I seriously doubt anyone is granting him any kind of non-profit or law enforcement status. I also seriously doubt that he wants non-profit status, as he is clearly running a business for profit. 

Once again, the CC are not doing anything that law enforcement isn't already doing, their just doing whatever they can do to increase social media hits on top of that. The police have confirmed that their actions have already pushed actual pedophiles underground resulting in lost police cases and more assaults. They might be doing more harm than good. 

Edit:

https://gangstersout.blogspot.ca/

This guy makes a pretty great point. Given the ties between drug dealing and prostitution in Surrey (a lot of prostitution is under aged), it's a bit rich that LaForge is now going after people for wanting to meet up with 14 and 15 year old girls. The Gangsters Out guy, seems equally politically motivated and everything he says should be taken with a large grain of salt. He jumps to some relatively unfounded conclusions against LaForge himself. 

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

At the end of the day they are exposing some of the sickest people in society.

The really sick ones, the ones that need to be caught, are not the ones that these people are catching. Those ones are not stupid enough to fall for their tactic.

Like a previous poster mentioned, these guys are just pushing the real sicko deeper underground and ruining actual police investigations. Let the professionals do their jobs.

50 minutes ago, DJSkingz said:

these guys are just pushing the real sicko deeper underground.

And what is that entail exactly?  Sounds like they are making it harder for them to reach their victims.  I am not defending CC but at the end of the day they are making some sort of difference either by exposing them or being a deterrent. 

2 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

And what is that entail exactly?  Sounds like they are making it harder for them to reach their victims.  I am not defending CC but at the end of the day they are making some sort of difference either by exposing them or being a deterrent. 

I don't agree with what they're doing. In the perfect world it makes sense and is a great idea. Perhaps it's just the people that are currently running the show...

What bothers me most is they're now showing it on Facebook Live while a bunch of crazed people yell for him to hurt who they meet. At least when they were recording the videos and posting them later there was some chance they would not post it if they realized the encounter wasn't what they thought. With their current strategy that is not an option.

1 minute ago, Tre Mac said:

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/creep-catchers-vigilante-efforts-against-child-predators-hinders-investigations-police-officer-says

Edmonton police say a vigilante group out to expose child predators are “reckless” and doing “more harm than good” after reports surfaced that a woman targeted in a sting by the group committed suicide.

“We can’t do anything when a vigilante group comes in and completely implodes or disrupts everything. Even if we wanted to go after this person that they just exposed, there’s no way,” Camp said. “In a practical sense, if someone has just been caught in a civilian sting, they’re not going to engage with an undercover operator online.”

He said he has seen instances when people being investigated by the ICE unit were approached by Creep Catchers. They then left the city and went on to commit crimes in other jurisdictions.

Basically, what's going on is the police are already doing exactly what CC is doing and setting up sting operations. When CC gets involved they typically interfere with investigations. 

There was also the specific confirmed incidents of the developmentally challenged woman who committed suicide and the pedophile who was under investigation, fled, and was charged in another city with molesting a baby and toddler:

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/02/18/canadas-self-proclaimed-pedophile-hunters-doing-more-harm-than-good-police-say.html

Insp. Dave Dubnyk of Alberta’s Integrated Child Exploitation unit says the evidence collected in stings by the Creep Catchers is rarely usable in court, and that the group has interfered with police operations, including one case where a man police were ready to arrest was confronted by the vigilantes.

That man cut off ties with investigators and disappeared to Winnipeg. Court documents show he’s now charged with molesting a toddler and a baby.

“What they’re doing is absolutely not protecting children in any way,” Dubnyk said.

They are trying to do a good thing. However they could get in the way of real police investigations and jeopardise potential future charges.

If they want to be real vigilantes they should go underground, stop taking credit and anonymously release the 'creeps' identity/video if possible.

Anyone suggesting that these guys are anywhere close to the criminals that they target need to get their head checked, but I do think they are going about it in the wrong way.

Archived