The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

For Draftists/TankNation Only: What's a Realistic Well-Thought Out Plan for Next Few Years?

westvandude

This is only for those who consider themselves fans of tanking for high drafts (if this is not you, please don't waste your own time and ours with lame one liners)

I love reading well-thought out analysis... and considering the Canucks' rough start and all the predictions of where we are to end up this season, I wanna see what you guys think of a good plan for the next few years considering our needs and the prospects coming up that we could draft from, and potential realistic trades.

Here's a link to next draft's top prospects to aim for: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/sportsnets-2017-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings-october-jeff-marek/

Looks like the top 4 are C and D, which arguably not what we'll need for our future top lines. And realistically, it's hard to aim that high anyways. 5 to 7 are RW and LW, which is a good place to aim for. 

So basically, please tell us if you have a well-thought out plan that includes:

- Realistic assumptions (so no when we finish last and get #1 pick...)

- Comprehensive analysis (includes drafts, trades and signings)

- Assumption that we are going to be bad for next 2 seasons and finish bottom 5-10

Thanks!

The last two drafts had franchise type of players at the top end. This year is a crap shoot so tanking is not really worth the effort. If we struggle this year it would be wise for management to try and move a D man for a top young forward prospect. Edler or Tanev might score us something worth looking at. 

As the twins slow down or retire we will be drafting quite high and will not have to tank to be drafting high. If the next few years are weak drafts and they don't look great, then we are in a boat load of trouble. 

Lets hope Benning can find a gem or two along the way.

Ideally, we bottom out sooner rather than later to speed up the process. I'm not so sure that will happen with the Sedin's around

Given that I'd say the next two years we pick in the 5-10 range and go for high ceiling players. Potential game breakers. We have more than enough safe two way players to insulate one dimensional talent now. 

Someone like Mittlestadt is who I have my eyes on going into next years draft.

Once the Sedin's retire I'd say three years of bottom feeding to get the top flight center, winger, and number one defenseman is all we need to turn this ship around and build our way back up to contender status.

Winger - Center - Boeser

'17/'18- Horvat - Eriksson

Virtanen- Gaunce - Sutter

Plug - Granlund - Plug

Defenseman - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

'17/'18- Stecher

This isn't even taking into account the potential to hit a home run in the later rounds, which we may very well do. 5 years isn't too bad at all.

I don't think this team will have to tank, they may just be a bad team.

If they are doing badly at trade dealing then I'm fine with some trades. The trick will be finding teams that can trade picks or prospects that would want what the Canucks can trade.

Most of the Canuck forwards are either untradeable due to NTC/NMC, or not the players you want to trade. The few remaining forwards wouldn't get much return, but JB seems to be a good drafter so any picks in the 3-5 rounds would be good.

On the D the same issue rises, those that would get a return are guys you want to keep- Tanev, Hutton, Gudbranson, Stecher and Edler has a NTC.

That leaves the underrated Sbisa and the unproven Big Russian and the rest are bit pieces.

I believe Millers NTC is limited and at trade deadline he may get a 2 or 3 rd rounder.

Perhaps all the mid round picks could then be traded for  few higher picks , but not many teams will give up quality for quantity.

2 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Ideally, we bottom out sooner rather than later to speed up the process. I'm not so sure that will happen with the Sedin's around

Given that I'd say the next two years we pick in the 5-10 range and go for high ceiling players. Potential game breakers. We have more than enough safe two way players to insulate one dimensional talent now. 

Someone like Mittlestadt is who I have my eyes on going into next years draft.

Once the Sedin's retire I'd say three years of bottom feeding to get the top flight center, winger, and number one defenseman is all we need to turn this ship around and build our way back up to contender status.

Winger - Center - Boeser

'17/'18- Horvat - Eriksson

Virtanen- Gaunce - Sutter

Plug - Granlund - Plug

Defenseman - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

'17/'18- Stecher

Juolevi   Stecher

Hutton    Gudbranson

Tryamkin    Subban

Move Edler for picks or prospects.

Move Tanev for a young forward prospect 

1 minute ago, appleboy said:

Juolevi   Stecher

Hutton    Gudbranson

Tryamkin    Subban

Move Edler for picks or prospects.

Move Tanev for a young forward prospect 

Wow, brainfart. Totally forgot about Juolevi. Neither Tryamkin nor Subban will pan out imo.

Defenseman - Tanev

Juolevi - Stecher

Hutton - Gudbranson

I'd rather keep Tanev and Gudbranson. Two vets is ideal.

2 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Wow, brainfart. Totally forgot about Juolevi. Neither Tryamkin nor Subban will pan out imo.

Defenseman - Tanev

Juolevi - Stecher

Hutton - Gudbranson

I think Tryamkin will turn out but this year will tell us.

If Larsen can play at this level then Subban is a shoe in.

4 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Defenseman - Tanev

Juolevi - Stecher

Hutton - Gudbranson

You think Gudbranson and Hutton are third pairing players?  Why is that?

we have a very god, and well balanced top four: Edler, Stecher, Gudbranson, and Hutton.  Juiolevi looks to be taking Edler's spot in a couple years.  

We trade Tanev now and Edler in a year or much needed young forwRds.  

I'm not a tank fan but this team /organization lacks the talent,skill,scoring to compete now and in the future so it won't be hard to have good draft positions for the next 3-5 years. And if benning and ownership continue down this short sighted win now garbage mandate it'll be more like 5-10 years. 

So start by playing the kids, a lot. see what we actually have to work with. Make sure coaching is onboard with the development. Trade guys like tanev (I like him but) if a Larson in Edmonton can get Hall  then look for deals like that. Take more no risk moves on waiver guys that are still very young. Also college  seems to be producing good Ufa prospects, with more opportunity to play it might be easy to entice more to come to Vancouver. 

don't focus so much on "character" speed skill size that's what wins. 

DON'T TRADE ANY DRAFT PICKS instead acquire as many as possible.  

Stay away from older  ufas they serve no purpose at this point. 

If we draft Timothy Liljegren then all Benning needs to do to solidify us is to draft a first or second line centre, depending on how BoHo turns out. 

Next year:

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Baer-BoHo-Sutter

Granny-Gaunce-Hansen

Dorsett-Zalewski(Really think this guy can make the big leagues next year)-Boeser(Start him low and make him earn his minutes ie/BoHo)

Hutton-Tanev

Edler-Stetcher

Gudbranson-Sbisa/larsen/Tryamkin

Stacked on D next year.

Baer-Horvat/New centre-Boeser

Granny-Sutter-Eriksson

???-Zalewski-Gaunce

???????????????

Juolevi-Liljegren

Hutton-Gudbranson

Tanev-Edler

Subban/tryamkin/larsen

I believe we are almost there. 

2 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I wonder how different our team would be if we had traded Tanev for Hall? Hindsight is 20/20 but that's exactly the kind of trade our organization needs right now. Edmonton probably wouldn't have done it though. Best to have Hall playing out east. 

I wonder if Hall would work with the Twins?

2 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I wonder how different our team would be if we had traded Tanev for Hall? Hindsight is 20/20 but that's exactly the kind of trade our organization needs right now. Edmonton probably wouldn't have done it though. Best to have Hall playing out east. 

Tanev is still here and there are still good, young fwds out there.

Created an earlier thread about this and this is how I saw the 2018/2019 lineup shaping up (with the understanding that there is no way of determining how various aspects will develop i.e. Sedins retire, which draft pick flop/succeed, etc.):

2018/2019:

xxx  xxx  Brock (21)                                              

Baer (26) Horvat (23) Virt (22)                                                                                                                                      

xxx   Sutter (29) Eriksson (33)                                                                                                                                            

xxx Gaunce xxx                                                                                                                                                                    

Juolevi (20) Tanev (28)

Hutton (24)  Guddy (25)

Tryamkin (24)/Pedan (25)  Stecher (24)

Markstrom (28)/Demko (22)

Key Take Aways:

1) Nothing earth shattering here but the obvious #1 challenge will be how to acquire a #1 center. Benning's ability, or failure, to do so could likely determine his legacy with the Canucks. The one caveat is that he may not need a traditional #1 centre as I feel he just needs a true offensive #1 centre - a player that can drive play and create offensively. A player like that would compliment Bo Horvat, who I believe has the ability to be a #1B NHL center. 

2) The Baer - Horvat - Jake line needs to show progress and become a top second line. This team needs and will need secondary scoring, with or without the Sedins.

3) Despite not tanking, look at the ages of the foundational players moving forward. If Benning can draft like he believes he can, the team has a good foundation on which to add top end talent. They also should be in a good position salary wise to add a top end FA (or trade for a top end player) in the next couple of years. Given the prospect depth Benning is building, the team should have the pieces to acquire more significant talent moving forward (not like the last couple years due a the lack of quality prospects in the system).

4) It is important that they maximize the trade pieces in their current lineup in order to acquire a true offensive forward. Benning may not be willing do so but I hope he makes a significant move for a young, offensive player - players like Edler and Hansen (love them as players) need to be used to acquire young offensive talent.

6 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

If we draft Timothy Liljegren then all Benning needs to do to solidify us is to draft a first or second line centre, depending on how BoHo turns out. 

Next year:

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Baer-BoHo-Sutter

Granny-Gaunce-Hansen

Dorsett-Zalewski(Really think this guy can make the big leagues next year)-Boeser(Start him low and make him earn his minutes ie/BoHo)

Hutton-Tanev

Edler-Stetcher

Gudbranson-Sbisa/larsen/Tryamkin

Stacked on D next year.

Baer-Horvat/New centre-Boeser

Granny-Sutter-Eriksson

???-Zalewski-Gaunce

???????????????

Juolevi-Liljegren

Hutton-Gudbranson

Tanev-Edler

Subban/tryamkin/larsen

I believe we are almost there. 

That's an absolute best case scenario lineup (2019). It will mean that all of our prospects reach their ceilings. 

IMO Baertschi and Granlund are still huge question marks. They still haven't shown enough that we can say they're going to be NHL regulars in 2019, let alone 1st/2nd players. I think it's safe to say that if one them is a legit top 6 player in 2019, that would be considered a win for us. 

Same thing with your 3rd line. It's 50/50 if Zalewski even becomes an NHL player. Gaunce should be ok but he has a long way to go. I expected more out of him this season. Maybe my expectations were a little unrealistic? The season is still young though. 

Archived