The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

For Draftists/TankNation Only: What's a Realistic Well-Thought Out Plan for Next Few Years?

westvandude

Just now, VIC_CITY said:

That's an absolute best case scenario lineup (2019). It will mean that all of our prospects reach their ceilings. 

IMO Baertschi and Granlund are still huge question marks. They still haven't shown enough that we can say they're going to be NHL regulars in 2019, let alone 1st/2nd players. I think it's safe to say that if one them is a legit top 6 player in 2019, that would be considered a win for us. 

Same thing with your 3rd line. It's 50/50 if Zalewski even becomes an NHL player. Gaunce should be ok but he has a long way to go. I expected more out of him this season. Maybe my expectations were a little unrealistic? The season is still young though. 

1. I agree that this is a little best case scenario but I think that there are some backup plans in store, just in case a prospect falters. And there are always trades, free agency and future drafts

2. Granlund has exceeded my expectations so far and seems to have improved mightily over the coarse of the summer. Baertschi is probably the most electrifying player on the team IMO, when he gets going. He has started off slowly but by the end of the year he can be in the top three in points on our team. TAKE THAT LAMES!

3. I think that Zalewski is completely capable of making the team next year. From what I've seen of him, he is a very nice looking prospect that can be a top nine centreman. Gance should be ok but you never know what can happen.

I'm not a big fan of the whole tanking situation but if we do we tank this year and most likely get #1 overall, we can pick Patrick or Liljegren. Preferably Patrick because we need another centre next to Horvat when we retire. I really believe Patrick is the real deal. He will be that playmaker and point producer we have needing for years. I want this team to be a playoff team this year because we have the Sedins, Edler, Burr, Miller who are capable of posting good numbers. If we tank like last year and notch Patrick expect a lineup like this for next year:

Sedins-Hansen

Granlund-Sutter-Eriksson

Baer-Patrick-Virt

Dorsett-Horvat-Rodin

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Guddy

Try-Stecher

Sbisa and Larsen traded or lost due to expansion next year. Rodin will need some time to adjust to the NA style of play.

1 hour ago, westvandude said:

This is only for those who consider themselves fans of tanking for high drafts (if this is not you, please don't waste your own time and ours with lame one liners)

I love reading well-thought out analysis... and considering the Canucks' rough start and all the predictions of where we are to end up this season, I wanna see what you guys think of a good plan for the next few years considering our needs and the prospects coming up that we could draft from, and potential realistic trades.

Here's a link to next draft's top prospects to aim for: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/sportsnets-2017-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings-october-jeff-marek/

Looks like the top 4 are C and D, which arguably not what we'll need for our future lines. And realistically, it's hard to aim that high anyways. 5 to 7 are RW and LW, which is a good place to aim for. 

So basically, please tell us if you have a well-thought out plan that includes:

- Realistic assumptions (so no when we finish last and get #1 pick...)

- Comprehensive analysis (includes drafts, trades and signings)

- Assumption that we are going to be bad for next 2 seasons and finishWhat's the trans colonial railway? bottom 5-10

Thanks!

2f7.png

facepalm.jpg-c200

The strategy is simple: over the next two years we throw everything we can at 1st overall unless we already have it (Odds are not good) or the consensus pick isn't that great,

What this means in practice is that we can't have ANY untouchables when shooting for that top line talent ANYBODY is expendable, any less and we won't get it. 

Think Brian Burke with the Sedin, Chris Pronger and Phil Kessel trades, even if they don't work out you have to go for it. And as you can see, with Burke it worked 2 out of 3.

That's what it will take.,

All of you "Horvat, Virtanen, Joulevi, Sutter, Gudbransson, Demko, Boeser are untouchable" Types, still don't understand what it will take to get out of this

Peripheral moves accomplish nothing,and you don't get to have your cake and eat it too, we need to make a full-scale exchange of our middling talent for top line offensive talent,

Once you have that THEN you can go looking for two-way footsoldiers, but if you don't have the starpower you've got nothing,

And right now, we've got NOTHING, 

Also, I hope the Sedins have their sights set on another city, It would be great fun to watch them try for a cup while Vancouver rebuilds. Much like with Trev, I always said, even if they won a cup somewhere else it would probably be just as good

I'm not really excited about this year's draft class. Aside from Nolan Patrick, the only other top end prospect with offensive flare is Owen Tippett. I'd rather us trade down for some known top-line talent if we score a top 5 draft pick if neither of those players are available to us by our pick. 

This team needs to find two young top-line forwards. Whether that is through the draft or by making a trade for a known player - I don't really care so long as we get a true top line player.

Best case scenario for us is obviously the 1st overall pick. But knowing the odds puts us much likely closer to the 3rd-5th range (assuming this team does in fact suck and end up at the bottom of the table in the 30th-28th range). 

Aside from the draft this year, I'm hoping we trade Tanev. Tanev is worth a 1st line player. His stock around the league is high and we could pick up a player with a "Hall-like" pedigree for him. I'd aim for something like Sam Reinhart, Boone Jenner (+ a pick), or something along those lines. 

50 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Who other than the guys I keep pushing?  

Dylan Strome

Tanev is a fancy stat's darling. Those are the teams to focus on. Tanev is a great young D man with a good contract. I wonder if he will be durable over the long hall.

The Sedins and ownership are the reason we haven't tanked completely like Toronto.

1. Trevor convinces ownership that the plan of staying competitive while rebuilding needs to be modified to doing a full rebuild to start selling season tickets sooner than later.

2. Trevor and JB have the meeting with the Sedin's to explain their 4 year plan from this year on which "may" include resigning the Sedins in 2018-2019 to 1 year deals for 2-3 mil each per year if they're still on board. The Sedins need to be convinced this is the best plan for the franchise which could very well include them when they retire. If the Sedins are not on board, management still moves forward with the following changes.

a. Force a trade on Edler. he will still fetch a top 6 forward IMO or low first / high 2nd rounder

b. Trade Sbisa for 3rd-4th rounder and unload his contract- replace with Tryamkin/ Pedan on left side

c. Trade Miller at deadline for 2nd - 3rd rounder

d. Draft 1st-  3rd spot for a 1st line centre in 2-3 years

e. Replace Willie with Green end of 2017- this will give Travis 1-2 years to get to know the team / instill systems before we're contenders again

2018-2019 we would have

Comtois(top3 pick) Tavares(FA 10Mil)- Boeser

Eriksson- Horvat - Virtanen

Sedin- sedin- Sutter- sedin salary 2-3 mil each

Granlund - Gaunce - Plug

Hutton - Tanev age 26-28

Tryamkin- Gudbranson- age 23-26

Joulevi- Stecher age 21-25

Pedan -

Marky- Demko

We would have excellent depth at centre, solid defense and goaltending to make us a contender, but we have to get that top 3 pick this year this year and maybe a top 5-8 next year.

Sounds pretty simple !

10 minutes ago, Fateless said:

I'm not really excited about this year's draft class. Aside from Nolan Patrick, the only other top end prospect with offensive flare is Owen Tippett. I'd rather us trade down for some known top-line talent if we score a top 5 draft pick if neither of those players are available to us by our pick. 

This team needs to find two young top-line forwards. Whether that is through the draft or by making a trade for a known player - I don't really care so long as we get a true top line player.

Best case scenario for us is obviously the 1st overall pick. But knowing the odds puts us much likely closer to the 3rd-5th range (assuming this team does in fact suck and end up at the bottom of the table in the 30th-28th range). 

Aside from the draft this year, I'm hoping we trade Tanev. Tanev is worth a 1st line player. His stock around the league is high and we could pick up a player with a "Hall-like" pedigree for him. I'd aim for something like Sam Reinhart, Boone Jenner (+ a pick), or something along those lines. 

The expansion draft could be a problem unless the forward is someone who is exempt. 

26 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Dylan Strome

Tanev is a fancy stat's darling. Those are the teams to focus on. Tanev is a great young D man with a good contract. I wonder if he will be durable over the long hall.

I'd take Strome for Tanev.  God, that would be super great, and Double Bouble.  Tanev is an EXTREMELY high Q player.  He will adapt his game in order to survive and still keep the fancy stats people fawning.

16 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Not Tanev straight up. If they move they need to get a kings ransom. + draft picks

Tanev > Strome.

I'd do straight up but I'd sooner expect them to add before us. Tanev is a bona fide top-pairing defenceman. Strome is currently a top six player with top line potential. As we saw with the Larrsson and Hall trade - defenceman are at a premium right now.

Drastic remodeling = Drastic moves

Sam Reinhart is a 3rd line center in Buffalo right now. Buffalo having Ryan O'Reilly and Jack Eichel, can afford to move Reinhart if the return works for them. The question what is the return? The good thing about Sam is he is a 2nd year player and he has shown success in the NHL already. 

Would anyone take ...........Reinhart, Kane...........for ...........Horvat and Virtanen ?

Personally, as much as I love Bo, he doesn't look to be an elite center, which I think Reinhart has the potential to be, and I think Virtanen is a 3rd line player for the most part. I also think this gives us more options going into the next 2 years, because we are not forced to look for that #1 center, or #1 dman, or first line winger, we just take what is up and fill in. I also think it is way easier to find that 2nd line center, either through the draft or free agency.

Yes we take a step back, and yes it hurts, but we get the best player in the trade, and although there is risk, Kane has alot of potential, and he is worth the risk, as was Kassian in Edmonton. 

I would also like to get Michael McCarron out of Montreal, which may mean another drastic move, so I would offer the following....................

Tanev, Jordan Subban and 2017-3rd..............for ........McCarron, Noah Juulsen and 1-2017 2nd rounder and 1-2018 2nd rounder

Lots of moving pieces and again, there is risk, but at the end of the day we have filled our roster with young players and increased tenacity, and increased our chances of a proper tank and prospects.

2018-2019 Roster                                                                                 Prospects/Picks

Kane               Reinhart             Broeser                                                       2017 1st (Van) (1st to 4th)

Grandlund            Sutter                Erikson                                                       2017 2nd (Van) (31st)

Baertschi           McCarron           Hansen                                                       2017 2nd (CBJ) (34th)

XXX                 Gaunce                XXX                                                          2017 2nd (Mtl)  (56th)

2018 1st (Van)  (1st to 4th)

Juolevi               Stecher                                                                   2018 2nd (Van) (31st)

Hutton              Gudbranson                                                             2018 2nd (Mtl) (56th)

Briseboise            Tryamkin                                                                 2018 3rd (Van)  (61st)

Markstrom

Demko

Now when you look at the line up, you are missing Hank, Danny, Edler, and Miller which equals = $25,000,000 + $2,400,000 from this year + rise in Cap? = A lot of money for upgrades, and we still didn't trade the Sedin's and we still have a chance somewhere along the line to move Edler, Hansen, Sbisa, Dorsett, and Miller somewhere along the line for additional picks.

This also does not include any of our late picks that could develope (Lockwood?McKenzie?Neill?Candella?Gaudette?)

My names Jan and I am a Tanker!

Building thru the draft alone  is going to be a tough go ..  DimJim needs to be on the constant look out for elite offensive talent that may become available. 

If a Seguin, Hall, Thorton etc r on the market we must be  all in on the bidding..

This summer will put some teams in awkward positions with the expansion draft and stagnate salary cap.

We still must get lucky with some draft picks and accumulating them should be a priority.

Our 2 years of bottom feeding netted us Virtanen and Juolevi.  Hardly the start of a Stanley Cup core.

We have a serious shortage of offensively talented players(prob worst in the league), and must make every effort to rectify it.

If Landeskog was truly available this summer for Tanev plus...we have to make that kind of trade.

It is a lot easier to develop or get lucky drafting a good d or 2 way player than it is a game breaker.

Our 2017 1st round pick will not become a factor in the league for at least 3-4 years...

17 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Drastic remodeling = Drastic moves

Sam Reinhart is a 3rd line center in Buffalo right now. Buffalo having Ryan O'Reilly and Jack Eichel, can afford to move Reinhart if the return works for them. The question what is the return? The good thing about Sam is he is a 2nd year player and he has shown success in the NHL already. 

Would anyone take ...........Reinhart, Kane...........for ...........Horvat and Virtanen ?

Personally, as much as I love Bo, he doesn't look to be an elite center, which I think Reinhart has the potential to be, and I think Virtanen is a 3rd line player for the most part. I also think this gives us more options going into the next 2 years, because we are not forced to look for that #1 center, or #1 dman, or first line winger, we just take what is up and fill in. I also think it is way easier to find that 2nd line center, either through the draft or free agency.

Yes we take a step back, and yes it hurts, but we get the best player in the trade, and although there is risk, Kane has alot of potential, and he is worth the risk, as was Kassian in Edmonton. 

I would also like to get Michael McCarron out of Montreal, which may mean another drastic move, so I would offer the following....................

Tanev, Jordan Subban and 2017-3rd..............for ........McCarron, Noah Juulsen and 1-2017 2nd rounder and 1-2018 2nd rounder

Lots of moving pieces and again, there is risk, but at the end of the day we have filled our roster with young players and increased tenacity, and increased our chances of a proper tank and prospects.

2018-2019 Roster                                                                                 Prospects/Picks

Kane               Reinhart             Broeser                                                       2017 1st (Van) (1st to 4th)

Grandlund            Sutter                Erikson                                                       2017 2nd (Van) (31st)

Baertschi           McCarron           Hansen                                                       2017 2nd (CBJ) (34th)

XXX                 Gaunce                XXX                                                          2017 2nd (Mtl)  (56th)

2018 1st (Van)  (1st to 4th)

Juolevi               Stecher                                                                   2018 2nd (Van) (31st)

Hutton              Gudbranson                                                             2018 2nd (Mtl) (56th)

Briseboise            Tryamkin                                                                 2018 3rd (Van)  (61st)

Markstrom

Demko

Now when you look at the line up, you are missing Hank, Danny, Edler, and Miller which equals = $25,000,000 + $2,400,000 from this year + rise in Cap? = A lot of money for upgrades, and we still didn't trade the Sedin's and we still have a chance somewhere along the line to move Edler, Hansen, Dorsett, and Miller somewhere along the line for additional picks.

This also does not include any of our late picks that could develope (Lockwood?McKenzie?Neill?Candella?)

My names Jan and I am a Tanker!

How about Gaudette 

Archived