The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

For Draftists/TankNation Only: What's a Realistic Well-Thought Out Plan for Next Few Years?

westvandude

23 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Drastic remodeling = Drastic moves

Sam Reinhart is a 3rd line center in Buffalo right now. Buffalo having Ryan O'Reilly and Jack Eichel, can afford to move Reinhart if the return works for them. The question what is the return? The good thing about Sam is he is a 2nd year player and he has shown success in the NHL already. 

Would anyone take ...........Reinhart, Kane...........for ...........Horvat and Virtanen ?

Personally, as much as I love Bo, he doesn't look to be an elite center, which I think Reinhart has the potential to be, and I think Virtanen is a 3rd line player for the most part. I also think this gives us more options going into the next 2 years, because we are not forced to look for that #1 center, or #1 dman, or first line winger, we just take what is up and fill in. I also think it is way easier to find that 2nd line center, either through the draft or free agency.

Yes we take a step back, and yes it hurts, but we get the best player in the trade, and although there is risk, Kane has alot of potential, and he is worth the risk, as was Kassian in Edmonton. 

I would also like to get Michael McCarron out of Montreal, which may mean another drastic move, so I would offer the following....................

Tanev, Jordan Subban and 2017-3rd..............for ........McCarron, Noah Juulsen and 1-2017 2nd rounder and 1-2018 2nd rounder

Lots of moving pieces and again, there is risk, but at the end of the day we have filled our roster with young players and increased tenacity, and increased our chances of a proper tank and prospects.

2018-2019 Roster                                                                                 Prospects/Picks

Kane               Reinhart             Broeser                                                       2017 1st (Van) (1st to 4th)

Grandlund            Sutter                Erikson                                                       2017 2nd (Van) (31st)

Baertschi           McCarron           Hansen                                                       2017 2nd (CBJ) (34th)

XXX                 Gaunce                XXX                                                          2017 2nd (Mtl)  (56th)

2018 1st (Van)  (1st to 4th)

Juolevi               Stecher                                                                   2018 1st (?) (25th) Edler Trade

Hutton              Gudbranson                                                             2018 2nd (Van) (31st) 

Briseboise            Tryamkin/Juulsen                                                   2018 2nd (?) (54th) Miller Trade

2018 2nd (Mtl) (56th)

Markstrom                                                                              2018 3rd (Van)  (61st)

Demko

Now when you look at the line up, you are missing Hank, Danny, Edler, and Miller which equals = $25,000,000 + $2,400,000 from this year + rise in Cap? = A lot of money for upgrades, and we still didn't trade the Sedin's and we still have a chance somewhere along the line to move Edler, Hansen, Sbisa, Dorsett, and Miller somewhere along the line for additional picks.

This also does not include any of our late picks that could develope (Lockwood?McKenzie?Neill?Candella?Gaudette?)

My names Jan and I am a Tanker!

I have added trades for Edler, Miller and Dorsett to the accumilation of picks for 2018 just to make my point

Trade Edler at the TDL of 2017 - 2018...........................value late 2018 -1st (for illistration purposes (2018 - 25 OA)

Trade Miller at the TDL of 2016 - 2017...........................value late 2018 -2nd (for illistration purposes (2018 - 54 OA)

Trade Dorsett at the TDL of 2017 - 2018........................value late 2018 bag of pucks

Again, IMHO, this is the way to rebuilt Quick, and on the fly..........we didn't sell the Sedin's, We got younger, quicker, a whole S#&t load of cap, picks galore, and all in a very short time........is it all going to happen, no!

Should something like this happen, well yes! Think of the fact that with the suggested moves we still have the cap savings, talent and picks for huge upgrades, if you are going to rebuild, this is the way you do it........will they all turn out? Probably not, but if 50% do, you are still adding a tremendous  amount of talent to your system, while still building a very young talented pro team.

This also leaves the Sedin's, Hansen, and Erikson remaining on the team if wanted/needed ? Or for later trades

All for a 2 year investment!

Hb this as next year's lines...

Baertschi horvat eriksson

Sedins hansen 

Virtanen patrick boeser 

Granlund Sutter gaunce 

Year after: 

Eriksson patrick boeser 

Baertschi horvat virtanen 

Sedins hansen 

Granlund sutter gaunce

THAT IS A BEAST LINEUP... MIGHT AS WELL JUST PLAN THE PARADE!!!

The draft to tank for was last year. Anyone that has watched 3 hockey games in their life could see that. Apparently not the management team here though. There is no perfect plan now. I'd deal Hansen at deadline for a 1st. (Would have last year) Deal Miller. See what a return on Tanev would bring. If it's a top 6 younger forward do it.

Outside that not many chips to play...

On 11/2/2016 at 2:27 PM, S'all Good Man said:

I just can't see this happening.

Miller didn't do well being traded to St. Louis and I can't see getting a big return, or really any interest for him at the TDL. Best hope here is for LA to want him with us retaining 1/2 his salary now. All the other contenders should be fine in goal, and Miller only gets moved if there's some kind of injury.

Edler will have 2 more years at 5 mil - that's not a guy that gets moved at the TDL.

Hansen.... maybe. We might not be able to protect him from Vegas but he's the kind of player you want to keep - big effort, small salary. 

Vrbata - who the heck was going to pick him up? He said himself he gave Benning a crap list so he wouldn't be moved! 

Hammer - same thing, Hammer gave 2 teams, Dallas passed. Just what was Benning supposed to do?

Don't set this year up for the same kind of disappointment, we won't be cashing in on picks this TDL. 

Miller - It doesn't need to be a big return, even a 5th-7th pick means we are recouping something rather than letting a UFA walk for nothing.

Edler - Yup 2 years left, so prime candidate for the 2018 trade deadline

Hansen - Best asset to move IMO, we can easily get a 1st for him. He's an elite 3rd liner/energy player that every contender needs

Vrbata - Totally possible, if management had told him at the beginning of the season they would explore options for him. As per Vrby, Management approached him late in the season and he purposely gave them a list of teams who wouldn't take him because he didn't want to move his family on short notice.

Hamhuis - same thing, benning didn't really approach Hammer until a week or 2 before the deadline. This is a huge lack of foresight especially since we were so close to being mathematically elimiated from playoffs at that time.

Some great analysis work here. Good reads, thanks all!

With the loss streak and state of the team, it is becoming more and more clear that we should rebuild, and while purposely tanking is generally a bad idea, you can certainly put a team on the ice that is full of future potentials who are likely going to finish bottom of the league to get you more future potentials. And if they do well enough to  make the playoffs or even just miss it, at least it's a good sign for the future. Just missing the playoffs or losing in the first round with a bunch of oldies/rentals while giving up future assets is what really pisses people off.

The worst idea is to try to load up on short-term guys (and give up future potentials in return) just because we want to make the playoffs for ticket revenues, or to hopelessly try to get another run with the Sedins. The Sedins' value is their leadership and support they can provide to the young future potentials. And if they prefer to compete for the cup instead somewhere else, they should be traded. They've earned that choice.

• 2 months later...
On 01/11/2016 at 8:29 PM, the_impersonator13 said:

Keep your eye on this kid from South Surrey named Michael Rasmussen. He's actually my buddies brother in law. 6'5 200lb center playing for the TriCity Americans. Leads the WHL in goals right now. Currently ranked to go 12th and moving up the charts. Not sure he'll go top 5 which we look like we'll be picking in. 

Kids been lighting the lamp recently. Im going to the TCA game vs Giants in Feb, looking forward to seeing him.

Ugh.  Double ugh.  To all those that wish we just suck and suck and suck enough to draft our star players.  Do some research.  Check with experts.  Read what players have to say about this. And find out that in the history of this league the idea of tanking as a strategy is just ludicrous.  Find out how Buffalo and Edmonton played down the stretch.  Look into Mario Lemieux.  Tanking is myth not a strategy it is never going to happen so let it go.

I agree with what most think here which is this is not the year to tank. Patrick isn't anything special though could be a gold mine if he drops where we are projected to draft. i think we're in for a pick between 5-10 and if we finish in the bottom bottom with the Avs and the Yotes there's a chance we could win the lottery but there is also a chance we could drop which was the case last year. Right now the team isnt worried about wins or losses. its about how they are going to develop the next gen of Canucks with players like Horvat, Hutty, Stecher, Tram, Guddy.. so my plan is basically play every game to win even with the roster we have. its not the best which is pretty evident but eh there are still ways to win. no tanking this season. only apply to teams like the Yotes, Avs who are absolutely miserable. 

On 2 November 2016 at 1:07 AM, Mathew Barzal said:

Ideally, we bottom out sooner rather than later to speed up the process. I'm not so sure that will happen with the Sedin's around

Given that I'd say the next two years we pick in the 5-10 range and go for high ceiling players. Potential game breakers. We have more than enough safe two way players to insulate one dimensional talent now. 

Someone like Mittlestadt is who I have my eyes on going into next years draft.

Once the Sedin's retire I'd say three years of bottom feeding to get the top flight center, winger, and number one defenseman is all we need to turn this ship around and build our way back up to contender status.

Winger - Center - Boeser

'17/'18- Horvat - Eriksson

Virtanen- Gaunce - Sutter

Plug - Granlund - Plug

Defenseman - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

'17/'18- Stecher

This isn't even taking into account the potential to hit a home run in the later rounds, which we may very well do. 5 years isn't too bad at all.

Where is Tryamkin and Juolevi? 

And Baertschi? He really starts to look like a solid top 6 LW

Also Im pretty sure we wont be worse without the Sedins (especially the Sedins in one and a half years from now)

18 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

I agree with what most think here which is this is not the year to tank. Patrick isn't anything special though could be a gold mine if he drops where we are projected to draft. i think we're in for a pick between 5-10 and if we finish in the bottom bottom with the Avs and the Yotes there's a chance we could win the lottery but there is also a chance we could drop which was the case last year. Right now the team isnt worried about wins or losses. its about how they are going to develop the next gen of Canucks with players like Horvat, Hutty, Stecher, Tram, Guddy.. so my plan is basically play every game to win even with the roster we have. its not the best which is pretty evident but eh there are still ways to win. no tanking this season. only apply to teams like the Yotes, Avs who are absolutely miserable. 

JB will find us another Boeser level player:)

Agreed this is not the year to purposely tank to the extent of mcdavid or Matthews. 

But the team should be aiming to acquire more than the 5 picks they have heading into the draft.  Preferaby in rounds 1-3. 

I'd put feelers out for Hansen for expansion purposes to keep from exposing Granlund. Burr. Even Guds now that tryamkin and stetcher have stepped up.

The comets are near dead last in the AHL. Any team that aspires to creating a winning environment should seek to do the same for the farm and acquire more quality prospects.

13 minutes ago, DSVII said:

The comets are near dead last in the AHL. Any team that aspires to creating a winning environment should seek to do the same for the farm and acquire more quality prospects.

I thought the canucks had one of the best prospect pools of any NHL club....  LOL   as  thats what @sOiLeD  News told me 

16 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I thought the canucks had one of the best prospect pools of any NHL club....  LOL   as  thats what @sOiLeD  News told me 

You thought?  That's New/z.

Look who's chirping - it's the guy that repeatedly mocked the idea that the Canucks have a team that's capable of competing for a playoff spot, but went into hiding since eating crow and doesn't have the integrity to just @oldnewsme, instead opting for this weaksauce.

Hey, if you want a whiff of credibility, just quote a post where I told you this team has the best prospect pool in the NHL.  Good luck with that.   You'll have better luck with the imaginary strawfigures you shadow box with.

On 01/11/2016 at 4:39 PM, westvandude said:

This is only for those who consider themselves fans of tanking for high drafts (if this is not you, please don't waste your own time and ours with lame one liners)

I love reading well-thought out analysis... and considering the Canucks' rough start and all the predictions of where we are to end up this season, I wanna see what you guys think of a good plan for the next few years considering our needs and the prospects coming up that we could draft from, and potential realistic trades.

Here's a link to next draft's top prospects to aim for: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/sportsnets-2017-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings-october-jeff-marek/

Looks like the top 4 are C and D, which arguably not what we'll need for our future top lines. And realistically, it's hard to aim that high anyways. 5 to 7 are RW and LW, which is a good place to aim for. 

So basically, please tell us if you have a well-thought out plan that includes:

- Realistic assumptions (so no when we finish last and get #1 pick...)

- Comprehensive analysis (includes drafts, trades and signings)

- Assumption that we are going to be bad for next 2 seasons and finish bottom 5-10

Thanks!

Lets trade Sedins, Burrows, Edler, Tanev, Hansen, Dorsett, Eriksson, Gubranson & Miller by trade deadline. Get back all 1st & 2nd round picks without taking on bad contracts cause every team in the cap era has MillionZ in cap space for our so called washed up vets.... :blink:

Fire WD.

Fire JB.

Get new owners.

Tell Bo, Baer, Tryamkin, Stecher, etc. to stop trying so hard so we can finish dead last. :wacko:

Then lose the lottery pick & then watch the best players in the draft come from middle of the draft...:wacko: (Ehlers, Nylander, Pastranek, Getzlaf, Perry, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, LeClair, Bergeron, Benn, Karlsson, Weber, Subban, Kieth, Seabrook, Kopitar, Lidstrom, Gudreau, Chara, Horvat, Hull, Neely, Primeau, Pavelski, Lundquist, Guerin, Robitaille, Fleury, Bure, Bondra, Alfredsson, Roy, Hasek, Selanne, Sakic, etc., etc., etc.....

But no risk of picking in the top 5...:blink:   Here's some of your top 5 guaranteed game changers that Tankers dream of since 1993...:shock:

Dal Colle, Yakupov (#1), R. Murray, RNH (#1), Huberdeau, Larson, Ryan Strome, Gubranson, Niederrieter, E. Kane, Bogosian, L.Schenn, JVR, Hickey, Alzner, E.Johnson (#1), J.Staal, J.Johnson, Pouliet, B.Ryan, Barker, Ladd, Horton, Zherdev, Vanek, Nash (#1), Lehtonen,  Bouwmeester, Pikanen, Whitney, Svitov, Weiss, Chistov, Dipietro (#1), Klesla Torres, Stefan (#1), Brendl, T.Conolly, Legwand, Stuart, Bryan Allen, Vishnevsky, Brewer, Phillips (#1), Zyuzin, Dumont, Volchkov, Jackman, Berard (#1), Wredden, Berg, Kilger, Langkow, Tverdovsky, Bonk, Bonsigmore, O'niel, Gratton, Daigle (#1)... :towel:

So sell off ALL the vets, Fire WD & JB & let's lose for 2 years & draft #1 cause we will win lotteries both years as well & draft the next 2 McJesus & Mathews because that's a guarantee, then we will be Cup Contenders just like that. So 2 years away from CUP...:wacko::huh:  Right Tankers....:towel:

16 minutes ago, oldnews said:

You thought?  That's New/z.

Look who's chirping - it's the guy that repeatedly mocked the idea that the Canucks have a team that's capable of competing for a playoff spot, but went into hiding since eating crow and doesn't have the integrity to just @oldnewsme, instead opting for this weaksauce.

Hey, if you want a whiff of credibility, just quote a post where I told you this team has the best prospect pool in the NHL.  Good luck with that.   You'll have better luck with the imaginary strawfigures you shadow box with.

Canucks need more organizational depth in pretty much all positions.   Secret is to increase our number of draft picks by moving a few pieces at the TDL.

Growing up on the sometimes  cruel streets of Surrey Central has tought me  the importance of honour  / integrity / and the will to win.

Canucks are moving in the right direction. I congratulate our management.  Now it is time to finish the job.  

We need a Jim Nill or a Ron Delorme in our lineup......

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Canucks need more organizational depth in pretty much all positions.   Secret is to increase our number of draft picks by moving a few pieces at the TDL.

Growing up on the sometimes  cruel streets of Surrey Central has tought me  the importance of honour  / integrity / and the will to win.

Canucks are moving in the right direction. I congratulate our management.  Now it is time to finish the job.  

We need a Jim Nill or a Ron Delorme in our lineup......

or a Tiger Williams or Gino Odjick or Jack McIlhargey or Harold Snepst or Stan Smyl.... The list is long but it's pretty much all in the past.

Archived