The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Suggestions for jumpstarting the Power Play

*Buzzsaw*

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Willie is the head coach. He's responsible for all play on the ice as well as working with his assistants.

If somethings not working he has complete authority to step in and try and make it work.

Still pp coaches call for pp personnel, otherwise why do they have a job?...

Sure WD can bounce ideas but its still up to the pp coach to deploy the unit. 

31 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Has he even tried anyone but Edler and Larsen in that spot? How do we know Tryamkin or Gudbranson can't one time them from the point? 

Stecher had 5 shots playing with Edler against the Caps. Seems to me they have a guy that has looked good in that role, but he's in the AHL.

Until he tries different looks on the PP he doesn't get a free pass. 

I can't remember the exact moment but I remember seeing a Gudbranson shot tonight that missed the net by a net and a half. The only guy in the league with a worse slap shot happens to be another guy on our team called Ben Hutton. I love those guys but they just can't drive an offence either. 

If anything, WD is trying to showcase Stecher by playing him 22mins a game  to force management to keep him. If you gotta beef with Stecher being sent town WD is probably right there with you. 

Tryamkin?!.. seriously. The guy scored like 3 goals in the KHL. He has absolutely 0 offensive ability. And you can't just have a shot. You gotta be mobile and deceptive to get your shot through. 

Their timing to the net is pathetic. They should get there at the same time or slightly before the puck. When they get there late, the puck is already frozen or cleared. When they stand in front, they get tied up. We don't have anyone big enough to create their own space. They could try a big d-man in front I guess.

We also need more motion. The guys need to keep their feet moving. All the stopping and starting makes them easier to cover. More speed, which creates momentum, and better timing to the net.

Oh, and the Sedins should attack the net more and the corners less.

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Pretty sure it's a collaborative effort.

Jarvis is responsible for alot more than just the powerplay. I'm sure Willie works with him.

9 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Sure WD can bounce ideas but its still up to the pp coach to deploy the unit. 

I remember him blaming WD for too many men on this ice penalties. Like Willie stands there and says "reeeeaaaaady aaaaaaannnnnd DEPLOY!!!" Ref blows whistle " F$&&!!!! I did it again. 

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Pretty sure it's a collaborative effort.

Jarvis is responsible for alot more than just the powerplay. I'm sure Willie works with him.

Still getting tiresome with all the blame to the head coach on here. 

We've seen 2 GM's and 3 head coaches play out the same script since 2012 at some point you have to look beyond the coach and GM.

The core needs a major change and as evidenced by your posts and the majority of threads on here, this fan base clearly can't handle it. 

2 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I can't remember the exact moment but I remember seeing a Gudbranson shot tonight that missed the net by a net and a half. The only guy in the league with a slower slap shot happens to be another guy in our team call Ben Hutton. I love those guys but they just can't drive an offence either. 

If anything, WD is trying to showcase Stecher by playing him 22mins a gain to force management to keep him. If you gotta beef with Stecher being sent town WD is probably right there with you. 

Tryamkin?!.. seriously. The guy scored like 3 goals in the KHL. He has absolutely 0 offensive ability. And you can't just have a shot. You gotta be mobile and deceptive to get your shot through. 

So Gudbranson misses once and now you know he can't play on the powerplay? Pretty sure Edler misses the net constantly.

Gudbranson probably has one of the hardest shots on the team, but who needs a hard shot on the point right? If this team knew what a one timer was maybe it would be more effective.

Tryamkin played bottom pairing stay at home minutes and no powerplay time in KHL just so you know. His point totals there mean nothing. Putting him on the point with good passers like the Sedins would change things quite a bit.

Again, if you can one time it you create a threat from the point which forces pkers to respect the point. Right now the other teams pkers don't even have to worry about any shots getting through from the point. All you need is a guy that release it fast and hard for it to be effective. Larsen is doing nothing to get the puck on net right now.

4 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I remember him blaming WD for too many men on this ice penalties. Like Willie stand there and say "reeeeaaaaady aaaaaaannnnnd DEPLOY!!!" Ref blows whistle " F$&&!!!! I did it again. 

Yep because a rookie coach leading the league for bench minors two years in a row is a coincidence. :lol:

Not gonna point out the obvious flaw in that thinking. There's a reason why he holds a clipboard. Guy can't even remember his lineup.

So Gudbranson misses once and now you know he can't play on the powerplay? Pretty sure Edler misses the net constantly.

Gudbranson probably has one of the hardest shots on the team, but who needs a hard shot on the point right? If this team knew what a one timer was maybe it would be more effective.

Tryamkin played bottom pairing stay at home minutes and no powerplay time in KHL just so you know. His point totals there mean nothing. Putting him on the point with good passers like the Sedins would change things quite a bit.

Again, if you can one time it you create a threat from the point which forces pkers to respect the point. Right now the other teams pkers don't even have to worry about any shots getting through from the point. All you need is a guy that release it fast and hard for it to be effective. Larsen is doing nothing to get the puck on net right now.

So Tryamkin wasn't good enough to man the PP unit in the kontinental beer league but he's the saviour for our PP? Right...

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Yep because a rookie coach leading the league for bench minors two years in a row is a coincidence. :lol:

Not gonna point out the obvious flaw in that thinking. There's a reason why he holds a clipboard. Guy can't even remember his lineup.

Maybe we should have hired a math tutor to teach our players how to count. 

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

So Tryamkin wasn't good enough to man the PP unit in the kontinental beer league but he's the saviour for our PP? Right...

I guess you don't know how the KHL works then. They keep younger players minutes lower to let them develop. And it's the second best league in the world FYI.

Hey maybe Willie will have success in the KHL!

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

We've seen 2 GM's and 3 head coaches play out the same script since 2012 at some point you have to look beyond the coach and GM.

The core needs a major change and as evidenced by your posts and the majority of threads on here, this fan base clearly can't handle it. 

You nailed it. Our problems are 100% player driven. I don't see us being dominated and heavily outshot or confused. I don't see odd man rushes or miscues. If you can look past the lack of offense they are actually playing the system to a T.

We are just in a really tough spot. We don't have the skill to run and gun or play puck possession. We don't have the size to play our dump and chase. We don't have net presents or an effective 4check. We have no identity. 

I guess you don't know how the KHL works then. They keep younger players minutes lower to let them develop. And it's the second best league in the world FYI.

Hey maybe Willie will have success in the KHL!

:rolleyes:

but when Willie limits minutes it's crippling to development amirite? 

See you tout it as a good thing when it suits your narrative then spin it to be a bad thing to further your stupid simple minded anti WD agenda. 

8 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Well we're not shipping out the Sedins, so either Willie figures out how to work with them or bye bye!

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

:rolleyes:

but when Willie limits minutes it's crippling to development amirite? 

See you tout it as a good thing when it suits your narrative then spin it to be a bad thing to further your stupid simple minded anti WD agenda. 

No simple minded would be to think two different players development should be handled the same way.

Archived