The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Suggestions for jumpstarting the Power Play

*Buzzsaw*

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So Gudbranson misses once and now you know he can't play on the powerplay? Pretty sure Edler misses the net constantly.

Gudbranson probably has one of the hardest shots on the team, but who needs a hard shot on the point right? If this team knew what a one timer was maybe it would be more effective.

Tryamkin played bottom pairing stay at home minutes and no powerplay time in KHL just so you know. His point totals there mean nothing. Putting him on the point with good passers like the Sedins would change things quite a bit.

Again, if you can one time it you create a threat from the point which forces pkers to respect the point. Right now the other teams pkers don't even have to worry about any shots getting through from the point. All you need is a guy that release it fast and hard for it to be effective. Larsen is doing nothing to get the puck on net right now.

I just explained all of this. Gudbranson's shot is hard and really really wild. As I have stated many times before arguing with you is pointless. Most times I can secretly see your point but this time you are really out to lunch. Gudbranson and Tryamkin are not threats at the point. I'm going to graciously walk away so you stop posting this nonsense because I like you. 

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

And again how is that Willies fault? 

Rushing Jake is crippling, sheltering him is what he needs until Rodin is healthy and he could go to the AHL. 

Either play him minutes that are going to help him or don't play him at all.

If he goes to Benning and tells him Jake isn't ready I need someone from the farm, he'll do it.

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No simple minded would be to think two different players development should be handled the same way.

And where did I say that again?

All I've said is Tryamkin is not a pp player at this stage. 

And neither Tryamkin or Jake have proven they deserve much more minutes than anyone else on the roster. 

At this stage Tryamkin is a 6/7 dman and Jake is a 13th forward with the odd flash of brilliance. 

Jake needs AHL seasoning and Tryamkin needs bottom pair duty...

Call up Labate, get him to stand in front of the net.

The one thing I noticed about Brent Burns on SJ and Team Canada's PP is that he shoots snap shots right away, even with no one screening. I believe he's top 10 in shots. I thought I saw Larsen do it one game but he's back to passing back and forth with the Twins or going for the big windup. Of course, he no Burns

And neither Tryamkin or Jake have proven they deserve much re minutes than anyone else on the roster. 

At this stage Tryamkin is a 6/7 dman and Jake is a 13th forward with the odd flash of brilliance. 

The players who are failing to get it done on the powerplay and the scoresheet are the ones who don't deserve their minutes. That's usually when you give younger guys the opportunity to show what they can do.

No argument that Jake needs to be in the AHL or that Tryamkin is a bottom pairing D-man. I was arguing that if a powerplay continually doesn't work you try new things.

Nobody knows Tryamkin can't produce on the powerplay because he hasn't been given a shot. He couldn't do worse than what their production is right now. What's the harm?

Just now, DeNiro said:

The players who are failing to get it done on the powerplay and the scoresheet are the ones who don't deserve their minutes. That's usually when you give younger guys the opportunity to show what they can do.

No argument that Jake needs to be in the AHL or that Tryamkin is a bottom pairing D-man. I was arguing that if a powerplay continually doesn't work you try new things.

Nobody knows Tryamkin can't produce on the powerplay because he hasn't been given a shot. He couldn't do worse than what their production is right now. What's the harm?

Trying new things isn't a bad thing however our options aren't better than plan A.

Just need to go back to basics quick shots and traffic would be a better option than trying to put square pegs in round holes. 

1 hour ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

The situation is simple...  in the past the Sedins were great players and scored bundles... unfortunately they think they can continue to live in that past.

Until someone tells them their style is no longer successful, they will continue to follow their old habits.

These guys are being paid a lot of money... if they can't adapt to new conditions, then they should have their ice time reduced.

I think if they are challenged, they might respond by learning some news styles and skills.

This is early in the season to say that... but something is different for sure.  I just hope it's not age... cuz there's no going back.

Trying new things isn't a bad thing however our options aren't better than plan A.

Just need to go back to basics quick shots and traffic would be a better option than trying to put square pegs in round holes. 

I would say Edler is the square peg in the round hole. How many years has it been since he was an effective powerplay QB?

Our other option Larsen was brought in for his ability to get the puck on net, yet hasn't looked any better than Weber in that capacity.

If plan A hasn't worked for years, go to plan B. You can say those options won't work, but in reality they don't know till they try it. At the very least try something new. Rolling out the same predictable strategy night after night makes this team very easy to defend against.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I would say Edler is the square peg in the round hole. How many years has it been since he was an effective powerplay QB?

Our other option Larsen was brought in for his ability to get the puck on net, yet hasn't looked any better than Weber in that capacity.

If plan A hasn't worked for years, go to plan B. You can say those options won't work, but in reality they don't know till they try it. At the very least try something new. Rolling out the same predictable strategy night after night makes this team very easy to defend against.

I'm sure they've looked at it in practice which would be why they don't go to it in games.

Also strange coincidence that Edler's production dropped off after Salo/Ehrhoff left. 

Like a 1 line team it's easy to shut down 1 point threat on the PP. 

We've lacked a second line and 2nd pp threat since 2012. 

Since we don't have any d-men who can actually walk the line and get the pucks on the net, I suggest the following:

Loui should be in front of the goalie (that's where he scores the most). Put Hank and Baertschi  in the corners, Horvat up at the blue line (good/responsible defensively) and last Stecher.

We will score! ;-)

I'm sure they've looked at it in practice which would be why they don't go to it in games.

Also strange coincidence that Edler's production dropped off after Salo/Ehrhoff left. 

I'm not so sure they have. I think this team plays politics with the Sedins. Willie wouldn't wanna do anything to rock the boat, doubt he would have the balls to take the Sedins or Edler off the first unit.

Powerplays are actually pretty simple when you break down the good ones. It involves one shooter on the point, one D-man that is good at dispensing the puck, a couple shooters on the half walls, and a net front presence. Everything should revolve around getting the puck to a shooter with a lane. 

I feel like the Sedins cycle complicates the powerplay way too much. They constantly pass up the shooting lanes for the perfect back door passes. Pkers are way too good now for that to work, so they end up just being "hoper" passes that end up giving up possession. Getting the puck to a shooter with a lane should take no more than 3 passes.

The problem is nobody on the team one times it. They have the personnel to run a powerplay but the strategy is lacking. You need shooters on the powerplay, right now they have a bunch of players that pass. They need to have designated shooters with good shots that know that when the puck comes to them, fire it. Virtanen actually has a great shot and could have been utilized in that role, but the coach doesn't seem to wanna reward him with any ice time.

We will not likely be able to make a trade to improve the on ice personal. Rodin is coming back soon, no real injuries and our best prospects not on the roster are in Juinor or the NCAA so are unavailable. 

So unless Rodin is our missing link, we have to get more out of our current group. There is the only correctable problem. Coaching. 

The only way to improve is a fresh coaching prespective.  I don't believ the problem Jarvis. What we need is a coach that will mix up the line up and having the magic ability to get more than the sum of the parts out of the roster. WD seems to do the opposite.  

EW

5 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

And neither Tryamkin or Jake have proven they deserve much more minutes than anyone else on the roster. 

On one of the worst teams in the NHL right now. Those 2 wouldn't even be on the roster of 90% of NHL teams today.

The biggest problem that NO ONE wants to talk about is the Sedins. They are too old, too slow, and cannot move fast enough to have their effective cycle game. If your best players don't play their best, you're not going to win much.

Even putting Hansen with them, with his speed is NOT ENOUGH to prop them up. They are declining and fast.

An even bigger problem is there is no one to take over the Sedins minutes, not on the team and not on the farm. This team is in big trouble and will not compete for at least 2 more years of hopefully high draft picks and good development. 

P.S. The development of Virtanen scares me.

5 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Actually we have lacked a true 1st line since 2012 and 1pp threat since 2011. The Sedins are good players but since 2011 they are regressing and should be and would have been a very good 2nd line from that time moving forward, but due to very poor drafting and GM skills from 2006 or 7ish (not sure exactly, I did see somebody put up our draft record up a little while back but I can't remember it off the top of my head) the Sedins have to stay as #1 line (not their fault). We also know that as a PP threat we have  sucked since half way thru the 2011 season and it has hurt us ever since (predictable and slow). It is unfair to put all the blame on this management team. Since we can't go back we have no other option than to start with some changes now, move the Sedins to the 2nd unit or split them up (I prefer the later) and give some of the other players a chance and don't say they have because 30-40 seconds (sometimes less) of PP time doesn't cut it, especially when it starts going back into your end to retrieve the puck, the Sedins are too slow to be out there that long (too many shorthanded chances against as they lumber to get off the ice or heaven forbid try to back check). So take the rose coloured glasses or the beer goggles off and see it for what it is, a rebuild/tool that should have started a long time ago not just the last couple years. Sorry for the rambling rant but come on people have some patience, please.

Give Trymakin a shot at the front of the net.  It couldn't get much worse.  He'd be tough to move and a big presence in front of the goalie.  Even Semenko got his best years having Gretzky bounce the puck off him and into the net.  At least try it for a few games at this point there is nothing to lose.

6 hours ago, JAVA-1 said:

Actually we have lacked a true 1st line since 2012 and 1pp threat since 2011. The Sedins are good players but since 2011 they are regressing and should be and would have been a very good 2nd line from that time moving forward, but due to very poor drafting and GM skills from 2006 or 7ish (not sure exactly, I did see somebody put up our draft record up a little while back but I can't remember it off the top of my head) the Sedins have to stay as #1 line (not their fault). We also know that as a PP threat we have  sucked since half way thru the 2011 season and it has hurt us ever since (predictable and slow). It is unfair to put all the blame on this management team. Since we can't go back we have no other option than to start with some changes now, move the Sedins to the 2nd unit or split them up (I prefer the later) and give some of the other players a chance and don't say they have because 30-40 seconds (sometimes less) of PP time doesn't cut it, especially when it starts going back into your end to retrieve the puck, the Sedins are too slow to be out there that long (too many shorthanded chances against as they lumber to get off the ice or heaven forbid try to back check). So take the rose coloured glasses or the beer goggles off and see it for what it is, a rebuild/tool that should have started a long time ago not just the last couple years. Sorry for the rambling rant but come on people have some patience, please.

1st line is nowhere near the issue as lack of secondary scoring until last season when both dried up. 

• 2 months later...

So it seems as though WD is going to keep the PP consistent in terms of which players are on it. We also know that every team can draw up our strategy with a blindfold on. What if, wait for it, instead of cycling on the right wing the Sedins cycle on the left wing? Perhaps a subtle change like that would be enough to throw off our opponents defending?

53 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

So it seems as though WD is going to keep the PP consistent in terms of which players are on it. We also know that every team can draw up our strategy with a blindfold on. What if, wait for it, instead of cycling on the right wing the Sedins cycle on the left wing? Perhaps a subtle change like that would be enough to throw off our opponents defending?

That's madness. Utter madness.

The personnel is fine......it'll come.....just have to be patient........

einstein.jpg

Archived