The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nazim Kadri wont be suspended for his hit on D.Sedin

AriGold

Good thing the NHL is doing everything in their power to ensure discipline is met and bad things never happen again.  As well as ensuring repeat offenders see the punishment they earn

See you December 3rd.  I am sure nothing bad will happen.

Nope.  nothing bad at all

Image result for bertuzzi punch gif

Kadri IS a repeat offender.  Would this suspension be too heavy for little precious?  Kadri is one of those entitled untouchables.  Good going NHL.  That's how you get predatory play out of the league.  If justice isn't seen to be done, you're asking for vigilantism.  Thumbs up Bettman.  You're in charge.  

Well, I'm guessing the NHL is hoping for high viewership for the rematch. Otherwise, they would have nipped this in the bud. Rematch looks like it could get even nastier now. Good job NHL. Could have taken some control and given some discipline to help out the next contest. Another blown opportunity.

1 minute ago, hatedkid666 said:

why dont you take the screen shot where he is hitting his head?

Because in the nhl's mind a subsequent head shot doesn't matter because if it wasn't hit first then it's not deemed principle head contact . Matthews will be a marked man December cause of this though . 

Just now, Warhippy said:

Good thing the NHL is doing everything in their power to ensure discipline is met and bad things never happen again.  As well as ensuring repeat offenders see the punishment they earn

See you December 3rd.  I am sure nothing bad will happen.

Nope.  nothing bad at all

Image result for bertuzzi punch gif

That not only ended a player's career, but ruined their life. You really want to wish this on someone? 

14 minutes ago, Patrick Kane said:

It was a clean hit...

The NHL's 10-member Competition Committee Friday voted to propose a five-minute major penalty and a game misconduct be given to any player guilty of delivering a lateral or blindside hit where the head is the intentional point of contact. 

This follows the general managers' unanimous 30-0 vote taken earlier this month at their meeting in Philadelphia to implement the same penalty starting next season.

Before the proposed rule becomes official, however, the NHL Players' Association’s board and the NHL’s Board of Governors have to approve. Both will meet next week, with the NHLPA’s 30 union reps convening Monday and the Board of Governors meeting in Los Angeles Thursday.

NHL Senior Executive Vice President and Director of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell told NHL.com the NHLPA’s reps have to give approval that the five players on the Competition Committee are authorized to propose such a rule to the Board of Governors. He is told that should be a mere formality.

The players in the Competition Committee meeting Friday were Mathieu Schneider, Mike Commodore, David Backes, Chris Clark and Ryan Miller.

"We jumped a hurdle, but we have to get around the puddle before we jump the last hurdle," Campbell said. "[The players at the meeting] said it should be no problem, we just have to get it rubber stamped. The PA has to accept it and I understand it has to go back to their whole group of 700 players (to get approval)."

The Board of Governors has the authority to make rule changes no matter if they are recommended by the GMs or the Competition Committee, but the feeling is that as long as the NHLPA goes forward on this and the GMs remain steadfast in wanting the rule that the Board will grant its final approval Thursday, putting the rule into effect starting next season.

The Board already approved in March making these blindside hits to the head punishable by supplemental discipline. 

Hits to the head became a topic during the season stemming from Mike Richards' hit on David Booth on Oct. 24 and Matt Cooke’s shot on Marc Savard on March 7. Nothing written in the rulebook suggested Campbell could take action on such hits, but with approval those types of hits would now be penalized by the on-ice officials and subject to supplemental discipline.

"My hope and my expectation is that the Competition Committee would recommend this on behalf of the players and that it would receive Board approval," said Toronto GM and President Brian Burke, who attended the Competition Committee Friday, along with fellow GMs Ken Holland, Jim Rutherford and David Poile, plus Flyers owner Ed Snider.

If approved, Campbell said the League will have to "instruct the referees and the players on what we’re doing now. They need to know before the first exhibition game."

In other business, the Competition Committee approved new rules on form-fitting goaltender equipment and playing the Heritage Classic at McMahon Stadium in Calgary on Feb. 20 between the Flames and Montreal Canadiens, but that is also subject to approval by the NHLPA. 

The NHL will release the schedule for the 2010-11 season on Tuesday.

Soooooowhat is your definition of a blindside or lateral hit again?

1 minute ago, GoBoGo53 said:

That not only ended a player's career, but ruined their life. You really want to wish this on someone? 

The smart didn't fall on you when you were born did it?

If you missed the point of my post, don't respond to it.  

8 minutes ago, Patrick Kane said:

8d343c26112da31a056fd50896944a20bb259bec

Clean hit. No suspension also proves this. Daniel needs to tighten up his helmet.

Puke Kadri  charged across the ice to blindside a vulnerable player with a dangerous hit.

This act should not be reduced to stills captured at 1/100th of normal speed in order to reach a verdict here.

The intent was to do maximum damage on a player that was vulnerable, if this bush league wants to reduce this down to a forensic science and let players off of the hook because the shoulder was touched 1/10th of second before the head was snapped then it will have plenty of ugly retaliation incidents to deal with.

Bush League

There's a distinction to be made between a clean hit and a hit that isn't suspension worthy.

The Kadri hit might not have been suspendable but he did receive a 5 minute charging major and a game misconduct. Hardly what I would call clean. You wouldn't call Kadri pushing Daniel into the boards clean, either, and players often don't get suspended for doing that.

None of this surprises me. I can't figure out what the NHL considers a suspension-worthy hit and my guess is neither can anyone else.

9 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

The NHL deserves a complete and utter goon show December 3rd.  The blood will be on their hands.  This is a guy with a record that took advantage of a future hall of famer in a vulnerable position.  How much easier does it get for a suspension.  SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not like this scenario has ever played out before in Vancouver. 

Archived