The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ex NHLer Marek Svatos Passes Away

Monty

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/former-avalanche-marek-svatos-passes-away-age-34/

Marek Svatos, who played five seasons with the Colorado Avalanche, has died at age 34.

Svatos was drafted by the Avalanche in the seventh round (227th overall) of the 2001 NHL Draft.

He scored 32 goals in his first full season with the club in 2005-06, though an injury to his right shoulder limited Svatos to just 61 games.

His career in Colorado ended after Svatos put up 11 points in 54 games in the ’09-10 season, afterwhich he signed with Avangard Omsk of the KHL.

"The entire Avalanche organization is extremely saddened by this news. Marek was a tremendous person, a talented hockey player and a great teammate," said Avalanche executive vice president and general manger Joe Sakic. "Our thoughts, prayers and our deepest sympathy to his wife, children and his entire family."

After terminating his KHL contract partway through the '10-11 season, Svatos split 28 games with Nashville and Ottawa, before a concussion ended his season and forced him to sit out the following year as well.

He subsequently rejoined the KHL after a failed tryout with the Florida Panthersahead of the '12-13 season.

The Slovak forward had also represented his country at the under-18, under-20, and senior level.

1 hour ago, Apple Juice said:

Any news on how he had passed away? Very sad to hear at such a young age of 34 to have already been gone... I know a couple of people who's favourite Avs player was Svatos and are gonna be devastated to hear this.

If I'm not reading into this too much, I think it might be self-inflicted, whereas if he was battling some form of mainstream disease (ala cancer), it would be more readily published.

Whatever the reason is, 34 is far too young.

Archived