The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where do I start? I want to start playing ice hockey

apollo

Hi all, hoping to get some useful info and advice... 

Long story short, we didn't have much money growing up and never got into playing ice hockey. Only skated a bunch of times... And hundreds of road hockey games. I can kind of skate, went today and it was a blast so I definitely want to start now that I'm stable in life. Edit: I'm in my 20s if that matters 

So a few questions, if there's any other useful info, please let me know :) 

A) where can I play? Without having to break the bank to the arbutus club? My work schedule is 7am to 7pm Monday-Fridays, can sometimes get off by 4-5 if necessary.  Then completely free on weekends. I live on the north shore and work in Richmond... Drive thru dt most days. The rec centre by my place which I skated at today doesn't have beginner adult hockey drop in during hours that would work for me. They are thru the work day hours. 

B)where do I buy gear, I want them to make sure I have my skates perfectly fitted, I've got pronation and achy feet if I don't have enough support /cushion 

C) do I have to buy super expensive sticks? 

Thanks in advance! 

EDIT: Updated Post on page 4 seeking more advice, pasted below as well 

So I had some health issues from Mid January that dragged almost to May and I fell off the rails with my training. Went to some public skates and stick and pucks during the summer but not many as there wasn't that many rinks to chose from considering my schedule.  

I've been back at it all September going to as many public skates and stick and pucks as possible... I think I'm ready to join a beginner league. I've learned how to stop pretty well on both sides... to the point I can't contain my smile when I shred and see the snow shower... SO EXCITING! I can't believe I can finally do it. My passing I think is decent... my shots are 75% of the time bad... 22% of the time decent, and 3% off the post and in (best feeling on the planet). I can skate forward pretty fast... I'm still a donkey when it comes to skating backwards but I think I'm ready for a beginner league? 

Does anyone have any recommendations where I might be able to play? Vancouver or North Shore would be ideal... but I could always do Richmond, New West or Burnaby if need be. 

Or are there any drop in games? I had someone at one of the rinks I go to, tell me Richmond had drop in hockey in the morning but I haven't seen that guy in a while... 

5 minutes ago, apollo said:

Long story short, we didn't have much money growing up and never got into playing ice hockey. Only skated a bunch of times... And hundreds of road hockey games. I can kind of skate, went today and it was a blast so I definitely want to start now that I'm stable in life. Edit: I'm in my 20s if that matters 

A) where can I play? Without having to break the bank to the arbutus club? My work schedule is 7am to 7pm Monday-Fridays, can sometimes get off by 4-5 if necessary.  Then completely free on weekends. I live on the north shore and work in Richmond... Drive thru dt most days. The rec centre by my place which I skated at today doesn't have beginner adult hockey drop in during hours that would work for me. They are thru the work day hours. 

B)where do I buy gear, I want them to make sure I have my skates perfectly fitted, I've got pronation and achy feet if I don't have enough support /cushion 

Thanks in advance! 

hockeycommunity.com is a place were people post drop ins, I suggest you start out with drop in hockey, and play at a place that allows all levels of hockey. 

If you go right into a league is quite unforgiving. 

3 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

hockeycommunity.com is a place were people post drop ins, I suggest you start out with drop in hockey, and play at a place that allows all levels of hockey. 

If you go right into a league is quite unforgiving. 

Hmmm so how much gear would I need initially? Or should I just get it all? 

Lots of places have Can Skate or Learn 2 Play for adults. I suggest starting there.

A buddy of mine started playing a few years ago in his late 20's, Went to one of those programs and put his time in playing at drop-in and has come a long way since then.

Just now, apollo said:

If you are just starting, I would only recommend getting a new bucket, everything else you can buy at a Sports Traders for a fraction of the cost.

3 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

If you are just starting, I would only recommend getting a new bucket, everything else you can buy at a Sports Traders for a fraction of the cost.

Hmmm is this the place? I see one in maple ridge and Duncan's too but they are a little farther than I'd like  https://www.google.ca/search?ie=UTF-8&client=ms-android-rogers-ca&source=android-browser&q=sports+traders&gfe_rd=cr&ei=_gfWOH_OK3P8gf6nJTwBA#gfe_rd=cr&istate=lrl:iv&rlimm=15801854783392246554

It's encouraging to hear 20s isn't too late! 

Just now, apollo said:

Hmmm is this the place? I see one in maple ridge and Duncan's too but they are a little farther than I'd like  https://www.google.ca/search?ie=UTF-8&client=ms-android-rogers-ca&source=android-browser&q=sports+traders&gfe_rd=cr&ei=_gfWOH_OK3P8gf6nJTwBA#gfe_rd=cr&istate=lrl:iv&rlimm=15801854783392246554

It's encouraging to hear 20s isn't too late! 

Do you live in Courtenay?

If so, I do, too lol....and Blue Toque is a good spot, they have lots of used stuff, good selection of skates.

1 minute ago, apollo said:

ohhh boy, you will need everything,

for facial protection is up to you if you want to go with visor, or cage, or none at all, but its required for ice hockey to be fully geared up.  Hockey is an expensive sport buddy, decent pair of skates is 200 bucks, a decent stick is 150, if your strong enough, you might be able to pull up a 90 dollar stick.  if your in Vancouver, theres a place called cheapskates or something like that, where its used equipment....

but if your not interested in used gear, sportchek is your best bet for deals on equipment.   Do you know ANYONE at work, a friend that plays hockey?  I originally started because I knew someone that ran drop ins on friday, and I too started in my early 20's. 

feel free to join those trainning programs, I never actually joinnned any trainning program, kinda learned on my way.  Not a great player, but I am for some reason a talented skater, which really helped .

8 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

Do you live in Courtenay?

If so, I do, too lol....and Blue Toque is a good spot, they have lots of used stuff, good selection of skates.

Nope, north shore =/

I googled sports traders and closest one was this address in the link I sent 

Sports junkies clearance 102 W Broadway, Vancouver, BC V5Y 1P3

8 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

ohhh boy, you will need everything,

for facial protection is up to you if you want to go with visor, or cage, or none at all, but its required for ice hockey to be fully geared up.  Hockey is an expensive sport buddy, decent pair of skates is 200 bucks, a decent stick is 150, if your strong enough, you might be able to pull up a 90 dollar stick.  if your in Vancouver, theres a place called cheapskates or something like that, where its used equipment....

but if your not interested in used gear, sportchek is your best bet for deals on equipment.   Do you know ANYONE at work, a friend that plays hockey?  I originally started because I knew someone that ran drop ins on friday, and I too started in my early 20's. 

feel free to join those trainning programs, I never actually joinnned any trainning program, kinda learned on my way.  Not a great player, but I am for some reason a talented skater, which really helped .

I think I'll just go to SportChek then, I assume one of their hockey guys should know exactly what I need? 

Do I specifically need to gear up entirely, like all the body padding? I can't do drop ins with just skate, helmet, stick and gloves can I? 

Hoping people don't hit right off the bat... 

You can actually get outfitted for a pretty decent amount of money.  Don't let people tell you you need $200+ skates and $150+ sticks to play.  Keep an eye on the classifieds and ask friends you know that play hockey.  Usually they'll have some old gear they won't mind getting rid of.  Sport chek has decent gear for the level of hockey you'll be playing, spending lot's of money isn't going to help you early on. 

46 minutes ago, apollo said:

Nope, north shore =/

I think I'll just go to SportChek then, I assume one of their hockey guys should know exactly what I need? 

Do I specifically need to gear up entirely, like all the body padding? I can't do drop ins with just skate, helmet, stick and gloves can I? 

You'll want to gear up tip to toe. I say if you could afford it and are serious buy yourself some good new equipment. I bought used crap and it fell apart on me. I then bought new and its still in good shape 20 years later. Pants, shoulder and shin guards last quite a while and they really don't cost all that much

40 minutes ago, apollo said:

Nope, north shore =/

You'll need the full gear not so much for hitting but for when you hit the ice, it really is unforgiving.  

You'll probably need the following:

skates

shin pads

hockey socks

garter belt

jock

hockey pants

shoulder pads

elbow pads

gloves

helmet

mouth guard (unless going full cage)

jersey (if you don't feel like soiling one of your doubtless many Canuck jerseys)

I'd try to get most of it used at first, particularly the shoulder pads, elbow pads, hockey pants, and shin pads.  I wouldn't break the bank on a stick at first either (but I'm a goalie so what would I know).

Good luck and have a blast!

3 hours ago, apollo said:

Thanks in advance! 

Hurry up, get'er done! We need a winger on the top line Apollo. :) They made Carter a star, why not Apollo.

Check out the adult coed hockey lessons through north van rec. Every weekend on Sundays, it's for beginners, but you basically go through a 45 min practise and then scrimmage for 15. That's how I started on North Shore at age 22. I couldn't skate or stick handle very well though in the beginning. Skating has come a long way and I keep my head up way more from practising doing that. 

Might be too low level for you with your history, but there's also a drop in on Sunday nights later too I think for anyone to come and play. Usually around $15-$20 per session.

Hockey schools buddy,

Every rink has adult hockey schools, go sign up then show up

But DO NOT buy any gear, until you are a confident skater and have completed the 6-8 weeks of hockey school,

"sort of " being able to skate doesn't cut it . I've skimmed some responses and you are getting some bad advice in this thread

Don't show up for any drop in games, don't go and buy hockey equipment, it starts with the fundamentals and you have no business carrying a stick onto the ice until you have those down, this is for your safety and everyone else's.

Do it right and you could be in for a lifetime of fun, do it wrong and you could get hurt and disappointed and so could your bank account. Hockey is extremely difficult and the ice is extremely hard. Do this the right way.

One more piece of advice, as you are learning the basics in class, skate on your own every chance you get, 

Follow my advice and in two months you'll be blown away by what you can do, and  ready to suite up for some casual games

Archived