The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Old Rumour) Seems the decision has been made to free Willie

ShakyWalton

Once again this is a rumour but from a reliable source.....

We have an unconfirmed rumor and it's a big one.

According to a French language report out of Montreal from DLC, the first National Hockey League head coach to be fired this season will be Vancouver Canucks coach Willie Desjardins, and furthermore according to the report the decision has already been made.

DLC claims that they have been informed by a very reliable source in Vancouver that not only will Desjardins be fired, but also that the man who will take over behind the Canucks bunch is American Hockey League coach Travis Greene, who is currently behind the bench for the Utica comets.

DLC is usually a very reliable source, but seeing as they are currently the only source reporting this information it is a rumour

1 minute ago, apollo said:

Why Green? Can we please get a proven Winner? 

Bob Hartley please.

This. IF the Canucks fire Willie, I think it's best for us to wait until the end of the season to see what other coaches are available. Green is great and all, but what else is he going to pull out of this roster that Willie hasn't besides handling a few players ice time better? 

"Very reliable source"  wouldn't be the Province by any chance lol.

I'm not buying this.  Canucks made a recent statement refuting this - I doubt that's changed in the past few days, or that they were blowing smoke - not their style.

If this were Renaud Lavoie I might take it more seriously. 

7 minutes ago, apollo said:

Why Green? Can we please get a proven Winner? 

Bob Hartley please.

Hartley was let go because he plays dump & chase when the league is trending towards possession.  Also Burke felt that some of their key players was not getting the ice time they wanted them to get.  

9 minutes ago, SwedeHockey said:

This. IF the Canucks fire Willie, I think it's best for us to wait until the end of the season to see what other coaches are available. Green is great and all, but what else is he going to pull out of this roster that Willie hasn't besides handling a few players ice time better? 

I think it would be more of a case of Green becoming an interim coach for the rest of the season to see what he can do.

Then at the end of the season they can go through the interview process, including interviewing Green, and then make a decision. I think it's likely they'll lose Green at the end of the season if he doesn't become our permanent head coach. Might as well see what we have.

Archived