The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What truly makes you happy?

JV77

On 11/14/2016 at 1:57 AM, Incursio said:

I spent yesterday hanging out with my best friend and my younger brother. Just eating pizza and gaming.

That sort of thing makes me happy.

What did you guys play?

On 11/16/2016 at 1:20 PM, Lancaster said:

Money.

Money to be able to help others, money to give flexibility to spend more time with people I care about, money to let my children have stuffs and do things I never did as a child.

So not really money but rather a way to help others, have more free time and provide for your kids.  

I'd say you get much more credit then the guy wanting money to show off that he's got money.  I still haven't figured out what that guy's ulterior motives are although I'm sure they mostly revolve around a larger then normal want to be the center of attention.  

In any case, OP most people don't have one thing that makes them happy.  I went through a phase where I enjoyed soccer but I didn't realize it until later.  I enjoyed university but wasn't thinking "I'm happy in the moment".  

Making others happy and taking good care of your fellow humans always works across all cultures.

On 11/17/2016 at 8:38 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

So not really money but rather a way to help others, have more free time and provide for your kids.  

Money. If Icould stop working while maintaining my current lifestyle Id be much happier. Spending more time with my wife and doing what we want together rather than what we need to separately most days of the week. That would make me a happier guy for sure.

On 11/16/2016 at 1:20 PM, Lancaster said:

Money.

Money to be able to help others, money to give flexibility to spend more time with people I care about, money to let my children have stuffs and do things I never did as a child.

I used to think the same thing.

Now that I make a lot of money I find it just creates more stress and expectation to continue to make a lot of money.

Mo money mo problems.

That being said, helping others and enjoying stuff with my family makes me happy, so there's both sides. Not having any money would definitely make things harder to enjoy.

3 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Financial security, financial freedom. Within reason, of course.. I'm not a professional athlete or celebrity. The idea of being broke like some people terrifies the $&!# out of me.

It is terrifying. I'm lucky enough to have a pretty cushy job, but have a close friend who's been jobless for a while now. No savings, constantly stressed about how he'll pay rent, the depression of failure. It's not a pretty sight.

• 1 year later...
On 11/19/2016 at 11:06 AM, kingofsurrey said:

Making a sweet pass that sets up a  teamate for a goal  when i play rec drop in hockey...  

PS - beer in the dressing room afterwards is pure happiness as well..... even if it is Lucky Beer...

We think alike King. I've always felt better about setting up the goal than scoring it. That's why I identify with guys like Hank and Adam Oates, more than Ovie, or Hull.

And there are a lot worse choices than Lucky Lager. Coors Light comes to mind right away. (If the guys are going for the "bang for your buck" beer, I recommend Old Style Pilsner.

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Like @Monty said, it's about family. Having my kids around (they've all moved out on their own) makes me happier than anything else.

It’s amazing how my wife and I had 13 years together without a kid. Now? I wouldn’t trade what we have with our daughter for anything.

Just now, Monty said:

It’s amazing how my wife and I had 13 years together without a kid. Now? I wouldn’t trade what we have with our daughter for anything.

Yeah, it's hard to understand until you're a parent. For me it was instantaneous. When my first was born and I got to hold her, I took her to the window and showed her the world. (Yes, I know a newborn can't see clearly) It was at that point I knew I would do anything for her and I told her so.

Archived