The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coyotes getting new arena

jono2009

1 hour ago, goalie13 said:

I could be wrong, but I don't believe the NHL are part owners any more.

Not wrong. The new ownership group is in full control AFAIK. Certainly a lot of negotiation for help from Glendale for losses seems like a terrible idea now, and they should have just moved...

555628230-noneofmybusiness-kermit-meme-p

2 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

I know a lot of people here don't believe in conspiracy theory with regards to the lottery, but I actually do. That move has just increased Arizona's chances of getting the number 1 overall pick this coming season or next season. It's basically between Arizona and Las Vegas right now.

You'd think edmonton would have eradicated this line of thought by now

32 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

This was a move out of desperation probably so they can attract more fans to their new arena whenever they may be moving over there. This team is probably going to be a lottery team but don't want to get ahead of myself just yet

I don't follow your rationale. Glendale terminated the lease so they have no home. They're basically signing year to year leases until they move in. It was a move out of desperation though, and they've been desperate for several years. The team being in Glendale was bad for Glendale and I guess we'll see whether or not that continues when they move downtown.

55 minutes ago, butters said:

How's that comparable or even relevant?

Edmonton got top draft picks because the NHL still owed them for the Gretzky trade (Bettman even said that the trade brought credibility to NHL in the United States) and more recently because Edmonton approved a new arena.

Tell you what - if neither Las Vegas nor Arizona end up with the top draft pick next year (for example, Vancouver wins), then remind me, and I'll make sure to post how wrong I was.

9 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Edmonton got top draft picks because the NHL still owed them for the Gretzky trade (Bettman even said that the trade brought credibility to NHL in the United States) and more recently because Edmonton approved a new arena.

Tell you what - if neither Las Vegas nor Arizona end up with the top draft pick next year (for example, Vancouver wins), then remind me, and I'll make sure to post how wrong I was.

got anything to back you up on that besides paranoia?

You really think after Edmonton getting all those high picks in the past few years, they really wanted to drop connor mcdavid, considered to be the next sidney Crosby-esque player, in Edmonton? Really?

23 minutes ago, butters said:

got anything to back you up on that besides paranoia?

You really think after Edmonton getting all those high picks in the past few years, they really wanted to drop connor mcdavid, considered to be the next sidney Crosby-esque player, in Edmonton? Really?

Bettman came from the NBA. You know what the NBA (and the NFL) does to a city that doesn't get it its new arena? Yeah, that's right - it moves them. That's how valuable it is to them. And before you scoff at Edmonton, consider that Gretzky is now back with them. In the last NBA draft, Mutombo already tweeted who was going to win the NBA draft before the ping pong balls were supposed to have been drawn and then later on, offered a lame excuse that he didn't really know. Tell you what. Let's make a bet. If Las Vegas or Arizona end up with the number 1 overall pick, I want you to post, "you know what, Vinny, you may be right after all about your draft conspiracy." And if neither team wins it, I will post, "well, butters, obviously the whole draft conspiracy thing was nothing more than another one of my lame-brain conspiracy theories." Fair?

Just now, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Bettman came from the NBA. You know what the NBA (and the NFL) does to a city that doesn't get it its new arena? Yeah, that's right - it moves them. That's how valuable it is to them. And before you scoff at Edmonton, consider that Gretzky is now back with them. In the last NBA draft, Mutombo already tweeted who was going to win the NBA draft before the ping pong balls were supposed to have been drawn and then later on, offered a lame excuse that he didn't really know. Tell you what. Let's make a bet. If Las Vegas or Arizona end up with the number 1 overall pick, I want you to post, "you know what, Vinny, you may be right after all about your draft conspiracy." And if neither team wins it, I will post, "well, butters, obviously the whole draft conspiracy thing was nothing more than another one of my lame-brain conspiracy theories." Fair?

nope, no bet. It would be meaningless as they could win by chance as well. It would prove nothing

Your proof is:

- Bettman moves teams who don't build new arenas

- Gretzky works for edmonton

- mutombo tweeted something

9/11 truthers have more cred than that, and that is saying something

19 minutes ago, butters said:

nope, no bet. It would be meaningless as they could win by chance as well. It would prove nothing

Your proof is:

- Bettman moves teams who don't build new arenas

- Gretzky works for edmonton

- mutombo tweeted something

9/11 truthers have more cred than that, and that is saying something

I don't get your decision making. I'm giving you good odds here, and I even put the word 'may' in the bet, and you're still scared to take it? I'm not even asking for money here - it's just a fun thing. Seriously, you're taking all of this forum thing way too seriously (pun, intended).

11 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

I don't get your decision making. I'm giving you good odds here, and I even put the word 'may' in the bet, and you're still scared to take it? I'm not even asking for money here - it's just a fun thing. Seriously, you're taking all of this forum thing way too seriously (pun, intended).

Its just that I don't see any point to the bet. Arizona or Vegas winning doesn't mean anything in the context of the thing being rigged. 

9 minutes ago, butters said:

Its just that I don't see any point to the bet. Arizona or Vegas winning doesn't mean anything in the context of the thing being rigged. 

Since it sounds like you're taking all of this conspiracy talk too seriously and the proof that you desire is obviously not going to be available to the likes of us non-high-ranking NHL people in these forums, I'll move on.

6 hours ago, StealthNuck said:

How long are they going to string that franchise along? 

Until they milk every last free dollar that they can from the State of Arizona, Maricopa County, and the City of Phoenix and its surrounding sister cities.  When those teets go dry, they'll move onto the next udder and start the process all over again.

7 hours ago, jono2009 said:

Their current arena, it is more like driving from Langley, to Chilliwack. There is really nothing near the arena besides the restaurants and shops that they built around the arena. University of Phoenix stadium is across the street. 

The new location makes way more sense. Closer to downtown. Closer to Scottsdale and Tempe. Love this move!

Having been to a Coyotes game before, the drive really is a pain in the ass. Took around 45 minutes to get from the arena to Downtown Phoenix and vice versa.

This is probably the last chance to save the team.

Aq's move the team to Glendale. Renames the team the Roadrunners. Bennings first year with Horvat, Boeser, Virtanen the Roadrunners win the Stanley Cup. Tanev scores the game winning goal.

Vancouver riots for 7 days straight. Burn the city to the ground. Then an earthquake wipes out the rest. BC starts over again, Giants win 5 Memorial cups in Langley. 

Archived