The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coyotes getting new arena

jono2009

Can someone honestly explain how this is sane at all? Even if the new arena is at a better location, the last game I saw in Phoenix was... maybe 1/3rd capacity if I'm being generous? How does building a new, $400mil arena make any sense with a minuscule fan base in a desert and in a state that nobody cares about this sport?

• 2 months later...

Dead in the Desert!

ASU pulls out of plan to bring Arizona Coyotes to Tempe

A plan to build a new home for the Arizona Coyotes in Tempe is dead.

Arizona State University on Friday evening said the university "has no intention of proceeding to sign a development agreement or an option to lease or any other agreement with the Coyotes."

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nhl/coyotes/2017/02/03/asu-pulls-out-plan-bring-arizona-coyotes-tempe/97460974/

27 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Dead in the Desert!

ASU pulls out of plan to bring Arizona Coyotes to Tempe

A plan to build a new home for the Arizona Coyotes in Tempe is dead.

Arizona State University on Friday evening said the university "has no intention of proceeding to sign a development agreement or an option to lease or any other agreement with the Coyotes."

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nhl/coyotes/2017/02/03/asu-pulls-out-plan-bring-arizona-coyotes-tempe/97460974/

Hey gary give it up already. Man this is joke, how long has this been going on? 2008 god damn

• 1 month later...

lol this happens right at the same time as Bettman says Seattle has been rejected for now.

A new rink isn't going to help the troubling attendance they've been having though.  And I thought Glendale didn't want to have anything to do with the Coyotes at one point.

18 minutes ago, Creepy Crawler said:

lol this happens right at the same time as Bettman says Seattle has been rejected for now.

A new rink isn't going to help the troubling attendance they've been having though.  And I thought Glendale didn't want to have anything to do with the Coyotes at one point.

Seattle hasn't been rejected, they haven't applied yet, and can't until someone can agree on where to put an arena. If they can do that and get an application in, I think you'll see a team there as soon as it's ready.

On Glendale, their local Gov, pushed to move the team out of downtown Phoenix. If they can get a deal done to build a new arena, closer to downtown Phoenix, the team will do better. I've been in the facility in Glendale, and even though its a world class facility, it's definitely in the wrong area to attract fans in. They made the team, largely inaccessible to their target market when they moved from downtown to Glendale.

12 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Just move them back to Quebec already.  The faux-froggies will pay out of their water-tight butts to watch their own team again.

Disrespectful and wrong

Quebec Nordiques moved to Colorado, It was the Winnipeg Jets that moved to Arizona

Just now, Mackcanuck said:

Quebec Nordiques moved to Colorado, It was the Winnipeg Jets that moved to Arizona

D'oh!  I knew that.  I have no idea why I used the word "back".  Brain fart.

I still laugh at how Colorado won the cup after the team moved.

50 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Seattle hasn't been rejected, they haven't applied yet, and can't until someone can agree on where to put an arena. If they can do that and get an application in, I think you'll see a team there as soon as it's ready.

Bettman said "no building, no team", Seattle knows not to waste money and have Bettman still say no, they have to come to some kind of middle ground to agree on something if Seattle wants to bring the NHL.  Look at Quebec City, built a new rink and still no word.

18 minutes ago, Creepy Crawler said:

Bettman said "no building, no team", Seattle knows not to waste money and have Bettman still say no, they have to come to some kind of middle ground to agree on something if Seattle wants to bring the NHL.  Look at Quebec City, built a new rink and still no word.

Seattle isn't building the arena, It is 100% private financing, Council is refusing to grant the owner a seldom used one block street that dissects the property owned by the builder, that is in an area that is zoned for Stadiums.

ff3bac9a-0e69-11e6-9acf-68c45ca472eb.jpg

18 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Seattle isn't building the arena, It is 100% private financing, Council is refusing to grant the owner a seldom used one block street that dissects the property owned by the builder, that is in an area that is zoned for Stadiums.

ff3bac9a-0e69-11e6-9acf-68c45ca472eb.jpg

Sounds like what happened to the proposed Whitecaps waterfront stadium here.  Governments have hidden agendas.  BC Place getting a 500 million dollar Reno, and needing tenants certainly played a role in the Whitecaps denial.  Maybe the Seattle and State councils has one?

29 minutes ago, Creepy Crawler said:

Quebec has not been turned down, it was stated last year, that they weren't quite ready. 

The ownership group in Quebec is struggling with the financial part of putting a team there with a rapidly falling Canadian dollar.

Seattle is moving slowly ahead. Getting agreement on where to put a building is what's holding things up there and that has nothing to do with Bettman. 

16 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Quebec has not been turned down, it was stated last year, that they weren't quite ready. 

The ownership group in Quebec is struggling with the financial part of putting a team there with a rapidly falling Canadian dollar.

Seattle is moving slowly ahead. Getting agreement on where to put a building is what's holding things up there and that has nothing to do with Bettman. 

Yikes.  I thought the Quebec financials were solid.  The exchange rate has been holding steady around 30-35% for a while.  With Trump's administration purposely weakening the USD by letting the banks grow their balance sheets, the rate will only get more advantageous for the CAD.

If Quebec can't find solid ownership with healthy financials, they're doomed to eventual failure even if they do get a team.  The NHL front office isn't exactly Canada friendly.

Archived