The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] TSN - Canucks still kicking tires on Kane

Provost

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/insider-trading-canucks-still-keeping-tabs-on-evander-kane-s-availability~995461

The rumour that won't go away... probably because Aquilini is in love with him.

The trade that makes sense now is Tanev for Kane.... I am not heartily opposed, but I think at this point Buffalo would need to add in a serious kicker to even it out.

A straight up trade would be if Kane wasn't damaged goods... but he is.  Add to that, top 4 defence are going to be worth gold once the expansion happens.  A third of teams will lose one of their top 4 and need to replace them.  That is likely when Tanev's worth is highest.

They would have to add a high draft pick and a blue chip prospect for it be to worth pulling the trigger now.

3 minutes ago, meh_wassup said:

Uh oh that is a scary thought. Tanev is a prime trade chip that should not be wasted on someone like Kane.

Yep... while I don't think you can use the Hall for Larsson trade as market value since Edmonton got robbed.... Tanev is a much more highly regarded defencman than Larsson.  He is also a top pairing guy signed to a ridiculously low cap hit going forward.

I have no issues at all moving on from Tanev, but you have to maximize value.  Unless a team blows you away, his value is likely to be much higher at the deadline for a contender with an injury or in the offseason as teams try to replace players lost in the expansion draft.

Give up Tanev for Evander Kane? No way. If this team isn't able to make a bargain deal at this point, it's not going to get better. Better to just let the prospects develop and keep the solid defence core together. Either we get Kane cheap or we don't get him.

Just now, khay said:

Give up Tanev for Evander Kane? No way. If this team isn't able to make a bargain deal at this point, it's not going to get better. Better to just let the prospects develop and keep the solid defence core together. Either we get Kane cheap or we don't get him.

Since Buffalo won't likely be happy with a mediocre return I don't like us as trade partners here.

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Yep... while I don't think you can use the Hall for Larsson trade as market value since Edmonton got robbed.... Tanev is a much more highly regarded defencman than Larsson.

I have no issues at all moving on from Tanev, but you have to maximize value.  Unless a team blows you away, his value is likely to be much higher at the deadline for a contender with an injury or in the offseason as teams try to replace players lost in the expansion draft.

Same here. Not sure the deadline would be the best time to do it. I'm thinking after the expansion draft. Like you said in the OP, teams will lose some Dmen and they'll be looking to replace them. That's when you dangle Tanev in front of them.

Archived