The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Rangers @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, cabinessence said:

Difference between watching a game in the 80s and now- fewer hits, fewer goals, fewer rushes, fewer fights, less emotion, higher prices, more commercials.

Bang on. My earliest experience with hockey is the late 80's. Therefore, the hockey you describe is only hockey that I've heard about.

I think your point applies up until the 94-95 lockout?

11 minutes ago, Neversummer said:

Why the hell would Virtanen want to get on the ice for that?   Go to Utica and be a hero.  

NHL AAV of up to $1.74M and guaranteed cap hit of $895K vs. AHL payday of $162,500...where do you think he'd rather be?  I'm guessing the kid would prefer to sit in the press box and make the NHL cash rather than working for close to pro hockey's minimum wage (I know...that's bit of an exaggeration since there are guys in the ECHL and CHL making $600 per week) improving and honing his craft in the minors.  Just a guess.

3 minutes ago, cabinessence said:

Difference between watching a game in the 80s and now- fewer hits, fewer goals, fewer rushes, fewer fights, less emotion, higher prices, more commercials.

Put Gary Bromley's pads on these goalies...problem solved.  Systems would have to adjust to protect/ take advantage of  vulnerable keepers.

3 minutes ago, Riviera82 said:

I'm beginning to think that Markstrom might not actually be that good. Like what he is now is as good as it's going to get, which overall is probably a bit below average, a good enough backup, but not starter material. I mean the guy has started 80 games in his NHL career and doesn't have 1 single shutout. Not trying to crap on Marky but that's hard to do in this day and age.

One good thing about Marky is that when he does have a poor game,he rebounds quickly with a good one..He usually lets in a softie a game,but then shuts the door for the rest of the game....Poor game tonight,but a bright spot on a mediocre team.

14 minutes ago, Western Red said:

Bang on. My earliest experience with hockey is the late 80's. Therefore, the hockey you describe is only hockey that I've heard about.

I think your point applies up until the 94-95 lockout?

Probably around then. The entertainment value has just dropped so much unless you like watching people trying to get on the jumbotron and vocal stylists trying to put their stamps on the anthems.

11 minutes ago, Bo053 said:

Firing Willie isn't going to do anything, not like this team will do any better with a different coach. Who is even out there for coaches right now?

Fire Benning and Linden, those 2 are clueless.

It'll make me happy. 

I'm pretty sure Benning didn't land Eriksson to be on the 3rd line and not see PP time with the Sedin's.

If Willie loses to the Yotes tomorrow he'll have 6-11-1 record. With a better team than he had in 2014. How that isn't grounds for a change is beyond me. If this team goes 6-12-1 there's no hope of a playoff spot under this coach, barring a major trade or two. 

18 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I'm really hoping that Willie tries putting Hutton and Tanev together.... is Hutton-Guddy really the best option? Both are -9 so far this year. Sbisa is +/-0! 

Good idea but that leaves Sbisa-Gudbranson as a pair... not sure how I feel about Sbisa-Gud pairing; guess it's worth a try?

In my opinion, Hutton gained too much weight too fast and he has lost a lot of his mobility, which is probably the reason why Hutton-Gud pairing isn't working as great as we were expecting. 

Just now, khay said:

Good idea but that leaves Sbisa-Gudbranson as a pair... not sure how I feel about Sbisa-Gud pairing; guess it's worth a try?

In my opinion, Hutton gained too much weight too fast and he has lost a lot of his mobility, which is probably the reason why Hutton-Gud pairing isn't working as great as we were expecting. 

I was thinking Tryamkin-Guddy. 

I think Sbisa is having a decent year, and would like to see Benning move him while he's doing well and has some value 

Archived