The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Calgary Flames

Darius

Looks like Lil Johnny Hockey will be out for a while because he took a slash and requires surgery on his finger.

The Canucks and Flames have identical records so far.  But which team is the biggest disappointment?  Some of the same experts that were predicting doom for the Canucks this year had the lames at nearly a 100 pt team.

They broke the bank to build that D, most of their top picks are in their lineup, they got Elliott who was supposed to be the savior that made the difference..and they still cant pass the Canucks in the standings.  

Im thoroughly enjoying watching that tail spin because flames fans were trash talking the Canucks all off season with their predictions of being the dominant Canadian team in the west.

LOL.

Flames had under perform this season thus far with the talent that they have. I just checked the stats, currently Horvat is outscoring Monahan and Monahan gets to play with Gaudreau while Horvat has been playing with a snake bitten Baertchi. I have no idea what is wrong with the Flames, but this is suppose to be their year to show everyone what they have got and take that next step.

23 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Key guys got new contracts.

They are paying 33 yr old Mark Giordano nearly 7 million for the next 6 years.  As good as he may have been, that one is going to really hurt in a couple years.

20 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

remind you of someone van just signed? 

Yup!

I think on the brighter side for the Canucks, over the next 2 years they will be freeing up something like 25 million dollars, assuming that they will give a good chunk of that to Bo and Gudbranson, they will still have a boat load of cash to sign UFAs in 3 years to augment their younger core.  On the other hand, if im not mistaken, flames are up against the cap with all of their signings.

3 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

Yup!

I think on the brighter side for the Canucks, over the next 2 years they will be freeing up something like 25 million dollars, assuming that they will give a good chunk of that to Bo and Gudbranson, they will still have a boat load of cash to sign UFAs in 3 years to augment their younger core.  On the other hand, if im not mistaken, flames are up against the cap with all of their signings.

Yes that is thinking glass half full, but it doesn't excuse the fact your GM thinks Eriksson is worth 6M x 6 years. Which means he can and will make signings like that again, thats the scary part.

31 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

Yes that is thinking glass half full, but it doesn't excuse the fact your GM thinks Eriksson is worth 6M x 6 years. Which means he can and will make signings like that again, thats the scary part.

Well hes not really my GM, and i havent been defending him.  I think both teams suck, the difference is that the flames fan base had much higher expectations than we did.  I even think that the Gaudreau signing was a mistake (in terms of cash and length of contract for a 2nd year player).  Hes a one dimensional player that gets like 2wice as many points at home than he does on the road because of the favorable ozone starts and matchups.  Too small and too soft.

15 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

Well hes not really my GM, and i havent been defending him.  I think both teams suck, the difference is that the flames fan base had much higher expectations than we did.  I even think that the Gaudreau signing was a mistake (in terms of cash and length of contract for a 2nd year player).  Hes a one dimensional player that gets like 2wice as many points at home than he does on the road because of the favorable ozone starts and matchups.  Too small and too soft.

Agreed about Gaudreau, was way to much to soon for him, and yes the flames fan base may have had more expectations then us, but not more then Jim Benning. He said his Canucks will compete and will be a playoff team. That in a nutshell is the biggest problem with this team, the GM doesn't know what they are.

27 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

Agreed about Gaudreau, was way to much to soon for him, and yes the flames fan base may have had more expectations then us, but not more then Jim Benning. He said his Canucks will compete and will be a playoff team. That in a nutshell is the biggest problem with this team, the GM doesn't know what they are.

Agree.  What im not sure about is how much ownership is pressuring him to advertise this as a playoff team. Aqua likes to meddle it seems.

3 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

Agree.  What im not sure about is how much ownership is pressuring him to advertise this as a playoff team. Aqua likes to meddle it seems.

You can either be a 'rebuilding team' or a 'playoff team'. Given that Linden and Benning are averse to using the word 'rebuild', they really think we're a playoff team. Given that they haven't fired Willie, they must be putting the blame somewhere else - the only thing I can think of that's still remaining are injuries to key players - Tanev or Rodin???

21 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

You can either be a 'rebuilding team' or a 'playoff team'. Given that Linden and Benning are averse to using the word 'rebuild', they really think we're a playoff team. Given that they haven't fired Willie, they must be putting the blame somewhere else - the only thing I can think of that's still remaining are injuries to key players - Tanev or Rodin???

I think its too early to tell.  Part of me hopes the plan is to do an honorable tank. Keep Willie in there, keep the roster as it is for a couple years (more or less) and accumulate 2 more top 5 picks.  In the next 2 years, sedins move on, you free up 25 million (sedins + burrows + miller), you have a young core (Bo, Stech, Boeser, 2 top 5 picks, Juolevi, a revived Jake) to phase in plus a crap load of cap space to buy youngish players to augment the core.  But ... Im not expecting much.

Funny thing is that flames fans are having similar discussions in their forums about the coach and the direction of the team.

Archived