The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Calgary Flames

Darius

17 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

i have a couple friends, who are flames fans, and they were PISSED when they fired hartley and i LOLed cause they got gully XD battle of the basement!

This is what I don't wanna see us do when we fire Willie. Don't just go after whoever is available.

I'd rather see an interim until the right coach becomes available.

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

This is what I don't wanna see us do when we fire Willie. Don't just go after whoever is available.

I'd rather see an interim until the right coach becomes available.

I see Willie getting an extension. He does have a good coaching philosophy. It's a good idea to get the kids like Jake to earn their minutes. Players like Stecher, Tryamkin have played well during Larsen's and Tanev's absences. That's why they've earned the trust of Willie.

Just now, Beary Sweet said:

I see Willie getting an extension. He does have a good coaching philosophy. It's a good idea to get the kids like Jake to earn their minutes. Players like Stecher, Tryamkin have played well during Larsen's and Tanev's absences. That's why they've earned the trust of Willie.

I don't think he does personally.

Every coach gets young players to earn their minutes. With Virtanen he hasn't even been given a chance to prove he doesn't deserve them though.

Stecher and Tryamkin have played well, but is that Willie's doing or is that just their natural talent showing? I would say their games are simply more refined than most our prospects after years of development in the NCAA and the KHL.

I guess we'll see though.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I don't think he does personally.

Every coach gets young players to earn their minutes. With Virtanen he hasn't even been given a chance to prove he doesn't deserve them though.

Stecher and Tryamkin have played well, but is that Willie's doing or is that just their natural talent showing? I would say their games are simply more refined than most our prospects after years of development in the NCAA and the KHL.

I guess we'll see though.

i think Virtanen's effort on and off the ice already proved he doesn't deserve the minutes.. doesn't matter if he's not scoring.. it doesn't even look like he's giving his full effort and mostly invisible.. i don't see him drive to the net much.. i don't see him hitting much.. and coach and management probably don't see him working hard enough during practice hence he's not playing.

11 hours ago, theilluminati said:

Damn, you know things are baaaaad in Canuck Nation when the "Look, were just as bad as another horrible team" threads start popping up...Stay classy CDC.

No no no....the point was they are just as bad as us (despite expectations from their fan base and "experts" that predicted otherwise), not the other way around.!  And when it comes to flames and their fans my "classy" rules get thrown out the window...!:P

12 hours ago, Tajun said:

You laugh now, but if Calgary ends up with Patrick and we end up with the 4th OA, I doubt anyone will find their circumstances amusing.

True...but...we have also picked behind them for the better part of a decade and here they are dwelling in the basement alongside the Canucks.

2 hours ago, Darius71 said:

True...but...we have also picked behind them for the better part of a decade and here they are dwelling in the basement alongside the Canucks.

They just won two in a row.  I hate them, but think they are better than us:(

Change is due for this team whether it be full rebuild and management finally wakes up and realizes retooling isn't working. I never had serious expectations the Canucks were going to make the playoffs until after the team was shut out 4 games in 5 or whatever it was. The defence on paper should be better then it is. Defence is supposed to be WD thing and it isn't atleast not on the NHL level. A coaching change is what this team needs first then work on the offense and maybe this could turn around. The current system WD is preaching ain't working.

2 minutes ago, Shekky said:

Change is due for this team whether it be full rebuild and management finally wakes up and realizes retooling isn't working. I never had serious expectations the Canucks were going to make the playoffs until after the team was shut out 4 games in 5 or whatever it was. The defence on paper should be better then it is. Defence is supposed to be WD thing and it isn't atleast not on the NHL level. A coaching change is what this team needs first then work on the offense and maybe this could turn around. The current system WD is preaching ain't working.

Right on man.  Time to toss WD

16 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

The Flames were a team that all the experts were picking to be a playoff contender  (last year as well)...I never understood that since their GM didn't really do a helluva lot in the off season...Also,they haven't ponied up for a true #1 goaltender since Kipper left.

I think they thought that they had bad goaltending and poor coaching last year.  They canned the coach, got Elliott and Brouwer.  

But I would argue that Hartley is a cup winning coach and isnt that out to lunch, and that flames d likes to run and gun so they would expose any goalie they put in net.

Elliott benefited from Hitchcock's defensive system in St Louis.  Im too lazy to look it up by I bet you his stats before he went to St Louis were not that stellar either.

Also, their top offensive dynamo is 157lbs soaking wet and requires favourable o zone starts and match ups to be successful.  Just look at his points on the road vs points at home. Huge discrepancy.

1 hour ago, Qwags said:

Flames are more disappointing this year. They actually had hope for success. Beating us two seasons ago gave them unrealistic expectations.

I live in Cowtown and the hype for the season after getting past Vancouver around town was over the top as usual.  We are an elite club once more and will be a serious contender for the Cup.  It was super to see them fall flat on their faces loved the looks on Burkie's face when they would put the camera on him during broadcasts.

On 2016-11-16 at 10:09 AM, ruilin96 said:

Flames had under perform this season thus far with the talent that they have. I just checked the stats, currently Horvat is outscoring Monahan and Monahan gets to play with Gaudreau while Horvat has been playing with a snake bitten Baertchi. I have no idea what is wrong with the Flames, but this is suppose to be their year to show everyone what they have got and take that next step.

yep for sure

but all that take the next step good karma

seems to have drifted northwards to edmonton

calgary will be 2nd fiddle in alberta again for the next 10 years

sorry flamers

Archived