The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Calgary Flames

Darius

Good thing Trieliving signed that extension last summer. He should get canned IMHO. Coach he hired hasn't panned out. His number four pick is borderline flop. Trading away his first and not lottery protected is a flop. No picks this year till the fourth round is a flop. A second for a Senator who was probably on waivers soon enough was a flop. Am I missing anything?

11 minutes ago, rekker said:

On a side note I wonder if we should try to get Brodie from them. His value is way down. Hutton and something?

If they move Brodie it’s to find help upfront. They need another character scoring RW. A better version of Brouwer. Or they will be looking to recoup some draft picks. 

16 minutes ago, rekker said:

Good thing Trieliving signed that extension last summer. He should get canned IMHO. Coach he hired hasn't panned out. His number four pick is borderline flop. Trading away his first and not lottery protected is a flop. No picks this year till the fourth round is a flop. A second for a Senator who was probably on waivers soon enough was a flop. Am I missing anything?

Brouwer signing. Flopped. 

29 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Same for recently signed Gaudette.....  ;) 

37 minutes ago, D-Money said:

:lol:

I'm willing too give you Bo over Monahan, as I think they'd have similar stats if they switched linemates.

However Backlund was a 4th in Selke voting last season. He is most certainly significantly better than the fading Henrik. And Jankowski is a rookie, who is likely only going to get better.

Jankowski was also drafted back in 2012. He’s older than monahan. And I’m talking about right now, this season. Sutter is a far better 3rd line centre I don’t see how that’s even arguable. Henrik Sedin was Top 15 in scoring 3 seasons ago. But if you look at this season, both backlund and Henrik didn’t play as good as what they use to.

If we we do want to talk about the future, Backlund is 29 and it’s very unlikely he’s going to get better, he’ll more likely decline over the next 6 years he is signed. They have no potential top 6 centres in their pipe line and no first round pick this year to get one. No contest

16 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Brouwer signing. Flopped. 

Elliott trade - flopped.

Trade for Lack - flopped.

That said, the Hamilton trade and Gaudreau contract were both great. And Flames have made a number of seemingly solid draft choices...but I tend to question their development system.

7 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

If we we do want to talk about the future, Backlund is 29 and it’s very unlikely he’s going to get better, he’ll more likely decline over the next 6 years he is signed. They have no potential top 6 centres in their pipe line and no first round pick this year to get one. No contest

Monahan and backlund are a pretty solid  1/2 punch down the middle. Jankowski looks like he’s going to be a really solid #3 center. The have dube in the system and Bennett can play center despite some struggles over the last two years. 

34 minutes ago, rekker said:

On a side note I wonder if we should try to get Brodie from them. His value is way down. Hutton and something?

Brodie would be a decent guy to target, as even though he is a lefty, he seems to play better on the right side.

But they have little use for Hutton. Kulak is already just as good, and both Andersson and Valimaki will be pushing for spots next year. As FTG said, they will likely be pushing for a proven top-6 winger. Considering the only guy we have that sort of fits that description is a guy who already demanded out of that organization, I don't see a fit.

9 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Brodie would be a decent guy to target, as even though he is a lefty, he seems to play better on the right side.

But they have little use for Hutton. Kulak is already just as good, and both Andersson and Valimaki will be pushing for spots next year. As FTG said, they will likely be pushing for a proven top-6 winger. Considering the only guy we have that sort of fits that description is a guy who already demanded out of that organization, I don't see a fit.

Ya I thought of Baer. Would be a good hockey trade actually. But ya, not gonna happen. 

12 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Mark stone is a guy they should be after. Not that they have the price tag to pay be he is exactly what they need. 

I

21 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Elliott trade - flopped.

Trade for Lack - flopped.

That said, the Hamilton trade and Gaudreau contract were both great. And Flames have made a number of seemingly solid draft choices...but I tend to question their development system.

The Elliott trade involved Calgary giving St Louis a second round pick which St Louis used to pick Jordan KYROU....the guy that was a star on the Canadian WJC team.  Lazar for a second rounder was a flop too...Ottawa used that pick to draft Alex Formenton , also of Canadian WJC team fame....and people cry about Benning trading Forsling...

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Mark stone is a guy they should be after. Not that they have the price tag to pay be he is exactly what they need. 

Agreed. Ottawa seems keen on keeping him though.

Actually, if Ottawa trades Karlsson...what about Dougie Hamilton for Mark Stone? Then Calgary can just put Brodie back with Gio, and Senators can keep Hoffman, and try to use the extra money to try to retain Duchesne (who has had some chemistry with Hoffman).

57 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

But but but but but...they have the best D in the league.....just ask them.......

I live in Calgary, so I feel I might have a better idea about this team than many.

They really do have a pretty solid D, but not fantastic.  In total, their top 4 D have 123 points, or average of almost 31 points each.  Our top 4?  82.  Average of 20.5 points each.  So basically, their D produces at a rate 50% higher than ours does. 

For comparison, Predators top 4 have 160 points, or average of 40.  Almost double the points our defense has.

So yeah, they have a pretty good D - but it's maybe not quite as good as many Calgary fans feel it is.

On 3/22/2018 at 3:16 PM, captainhorvat said:

Calgary cant get a new arena and both alberta teams cant crack the playoffs. So the best thing to do is merge these 2 sh*t organizations together and make one alberta superteam....they can call it the Alberta Flamers.

The Alberta Deliverance....Ferland will make you squeal like a pig.

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

The Alberta Deliverance....Ferland will make you squeal like a pig.

Saw that movie the other day luckily on PVR. Fast forwarded that part. Took me long enough to get that out of the memory bank first time around. Yikes.

3 hours ago, kloubek said:

I live in Calgary, so I feel I might have a better idea about this team than many.

They really do have a pretty solid D, but not fantastic.  In total, their top 4 D have 123 points, or average of almost 31 points each.  Our top 4?  82.  Average of 20.5 points each.  So basically, their D produces at a rate 50% higher than ours does. 

For comparison, Predators top 4 have 160 points, or average of 40.  Almost double the points our defense has.

So yeah, they have a pretty good D - but it's maybe not quite as good as many Calgary fans feel it is.

The difference is the Preds D isn't a tire fire in their own end while the Flames has been much of this season. 

13 hours ago, samurai said:

this isnt a tanking, its called playing to get the coached fired.   This last week has pretty much doomed him.  

At this point,I'd call it going through the motions..the coach was basically already fired a week ago...It will be interesting to see who the coach is for next year.

5 hours ago, kloubek said:

Calgary's defense is completely overrated. Their defense being better than ours isn't saying much.

The lames in general are a garbage team that think they are a contender. The truth is, they didn't properly finish their rebuild. They got ahead of themselves and are now paying for it. And I love it!

Archived