The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Calgary Flames

Darius

10 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

But he does a funny dance when he wins a game.

I hear Noodles a lot on the radio out here and he is always talking about how many NHL goalies are backups in terms of talent and that even if they have a standout year as a backup and get promoted to starter by another team, most fail because they lack the ability between the ears to be a starter. It's a completely different mentality when you play once a week or less then get shoved into playing 70 games. He often uses Scott Darling as an example. Great backup, terrible starter because he's a backup with a backup mentality.

Although Markstrom has made some strides, that is a concern I have had with both Canuck goalies.   It is a very real syndrome with goalies and some just are not wired to be starters.   

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Although Markstrom has made some strides, that is a concern I have had with both Canuck goalies.   It is a very real syndrome with goalies and some just are not wired to be starters.   

Yes. We have been blessed here in Vancouver with a string of elite goalies. Here's hoping Demko is the next one. That said, Markstrom has been fine as a stop gap. 

15 minutes ago, rekker said:

Yes. We have been blessed here in Vancouver with a string of elite goalies. Here's hoping Demko is the next one. That said, Markstrom has been fine as a stop gap. 

I dunno

Too many gaps

Not enough stops  

lol

• 7 months later...

thought i'd bump this thread..

We're just about neck to neck with the Calgary Flames in the standings, lol. They've been playing decent hockey lately but just like previous years their scoring depth have been absolutely non-existent.

Neal has 3 goals and 1 assist in 18gp.  Could still be getting accustomed but I can definitely see this being Troy Brouwer 2.0. 

The 4th overall pick goon has 4 points in as many games. Derek Ryan 3 points, the "best player in the 2012 draft" Mark Jankowski 3 points in 14gp, Dube with 2 assists (currently injured I believe), and many more with ridiculously low totals compared to the producers. Their PP and PK are near the bottom of the league, and are relying on a 37 year old goaltender to help win them games.

They've had miraculous 3rd periods in which they would play poorly for about 50 minutes of the game and then start getting lucky bounces which have won them a couple of games (that chicago game where the puck takes a weird bounce and goes behind Crawford with a couple minutes left).

That luck is going to run out very soon, as none of what they are doing is sustainable, I mean how far are they going to get when they've got no secondary scoring, and are relying on a 37 year old netminder as well as a very inexperienced goaltender who's proved to be largely inconsistent.

Flames are an example of a mediocre rebuild which has made them a mediocre team.

56 minutes ago, Odd. said:

thought i'd bump this thread..

We're just about neck to neck with the Calgary Flames in the standings, lol. They've been playing decent hockey lately but just like previous years their scoring depth have been absolutely non-existent.

Neal has 3 goals and 1 assist in 18gp.  Could still be getting accustomed but I can definitely see this being Troy Brouwer 2.0. 

The 4th overall pick goon has 4 points in as many games. Derek Ryan 3 points, the "best player in the 2012 draft" Mark Jankowski 3 points in 14gp, Dube with 2 assists (currently injured I believe), and many more with ridiculously low totals compared to the producers. Their PP and PK are near the bottom of the league, and are relying on a 37 year old goaltender to help win them games.

They've had miraculous 3rd periods in which they would play poorly for about 50 minutes of the game and then start getting lucky bounces which have won them a couple of games (that chicago game where the puck takes a weird bounce and goes behind Crawford with a couple minutes left).

That luck is going to run out very soon, as none of what they are doing is sustainable, I mean how far are they going to get when they've got no secondary scoring, and are relying on a 37 year old netminder as well as a very inexperienced goaltender who's proved to be largely inconsistent.

Flames are an example of a mediocre rebuild which has made them a mediocre team.

I think the key screw up for them is really the 4th overall pick 18-year-old-Sam-Bennett did not turn out to be the player they envisioned. They envisioned him to be a franchise center forming a solid 1-2-3 punch with Bennett-Monahan-Backlund. Bennett at one point was being compared to Doug Gilmour :lol: But right now he is their 4th line center and so far in the season 6th overall pick of the same draft Virtanen had shown better progress than he does.

I still think drafting Tkachuk will ruin their team reputation in front of the refs at some point. Just like it did with us when we had Kesler and Burrows on the team. If they didn't luck out with Johnny Gaudreau in the 4th round, we are talking about the always mediocre Flames today.

46 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Signing Smith was questionable at the time. Not looking great now.

Signing Neal was just plain dumb.

I said they would make the playoffs at beginning of season.  Still believe that.

I do think they'll make the playoffs along with the Sharks. The pacific is a gong show.

That being said, I see first round exit written all over.

47 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Signing Smith was questionable at the time. Not looking great now.

Signing Neal was just plain dumb.

I said they would make the playoffs at beginning of season.  Still believe that.

Flames have stuck themselves right smack in the middle, which is the absolute worst place to be.  The will draft in the middle, and get middling players.  They, like their cousins to the north, are losers.  I actually thought of retiring to Calgary.  :sick:

5 minutes ago, HI5 said:

@ruilin96 I think Tkachuk looks great for them still. He seems to be carrying that second line with the help of Backlunds two way game. 

He plays like his Dad; I don’t think he’ll be an issue for them tbh. Curious to see what sort of pay day he gets. 

He didn't make any mention of Tkachuk's skill, he's obviously a very talented player. He's talking about Tkachuk quickly turning into one of the scummiest players in the league, and that its not going to do them any favours with the refs.

3 hours ago, HI5 said:

@ruilin96 I think Tkachuk looks great for them still. He seems to be carrying that second line with the help of Backlunds two way game. 

He plays like his Dad; I don’t think he’ll be an issue for them tbh. Curious to see what sort of pay day he gets. 

Again great skill, but still, as time goes on, he won't get the benefit of the doubt from the referees. And as for his dad, I have heard numerous rumours about how he isn't necessary a teamplayer in the locker room. Tkachuk does have unique skill. Good hands, very good vision and passing, with his frame. But to me he will be a distraction when things don't go well for the team.

9 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

For whatever reason, they simply refuse to spend and acquire a quality goalie.  Every year they complain about it, but they never fix it and this year is heading the same way.

their Stockton goalies suck too. 

:lol:

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

their Stockton goalies suck too. 

:lol:

Been some recent talk of Rittich taking over #1?  But yeah, Parsons' and Gillies' numbers have been brutal so far.  One goal away from most given up in the entire AHL, yet with 3 less game played.  McDonald (taken before Demko) is in the ECHL. 

Smith's $4mil comes off, but Tkachuk needs to be re-upped and they NEED a real goalie.  They're in big cap poop, will probably have to try to dump Frolik/Stone or something.  Also need to decide on 18YO as he's RFA again coming off $1.9mil.

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Been some recent talk of Rittich taking over #1?  But yeah, Parsons' and Gillies' numbers have been brutal so far.  One goal away from most given up in the entire AHL, yet with 3 less game played.  McDonald (taken before Demko) is in the ECHL. 

Smith's $4mil comes off, but Tkachuk needs to be re-upped and they NEED a real goalie.  They're in big cap poop, will probably have to try to dump Frolik/Stone or something.  Also need to decide on 18YO as he's RFA again coming off $1.9mil.

watch them go for Bobrovsky. They'll use up their remaining cap space next year on him and Tkachuk. I can't see Sam Bennett being a Flamer next season either. 

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

watch them go for Bobrovsky. They'll use up their remaining cap space next year on him and Tkachuk. I can't see Sam Bennett being a Flamer next season either. 

They should go for him, but can't see any way they can with their current roster.  Capfriendly showing them with $12mil available but needing to re-up Tkachuk (min $6mil), 3 other forwards, 1 defenceman, and 2 goalies.  Even if the cap goes up again they're still not going to have much to pay for a real goalie, as if Rittich plays well he'll get a raise too.  Bennett won't get them much if they try to move him, maybe a similar prospect/pick(s).  

Again, I think they'll have to try to dump Frolik and Stone, and replace them with ELC guys like Foo.  Like Edmonton, this really shows the need to always have quality young players coming, to compensate for the high-tagged veterans.  Looks as though next year they're going to have to go the Oiler route to fill holes with bargain-bin UFAs like Rieder, Chaisson, and Garrison as like the Coil they've become top-heavy and shallow.

They lost tonight, which means we are officially ranked first in the Pacific, even considering games played B)

image.png.5b324e2ccb259d9012914e4a77ea9827.png

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

For whatever reason, they simply refuse to spend and acquire a quality goalie.  Every year they complain about it, but they never fix it and this year is heading the same way.

Isn't the Flame D, supposed to be one of the best in the NHL??? Apparently not! People talk about Vancouver being a goalie graveyard.....Smith's downward trend started in Glendale, he wasn't very good there at all.

Archived