The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Craig Cunningham collapses before game

Rocky Balboa

Saturday's game between the Roadrunners and Manitoba Moose has been postponed after Tucson captain Craig Cunningham collapsed on the ice minutes before the scheduled 7 p.m. start.

No make-up date has been announced.

Medics worked on Cunningham, who was lying on his back, and cut away his jersey. They performed chest compressions before moving him off the ice. Both teams returned to their locker rooms.

Pause
Current Time0:00
/
Duration Time0:00

Loaded: 0%
Progress: 0%
0:00
Fullscreen

00:00
Unmute

The 26-year-old Cunningham, a right winger, was named captain this month. The Trail, British Columbia native earned that distinction last year, too, as a member of the Springfield (Massachusetts) Falcons. The Falcons were sold and moved to Tucson last spring. 

Article from Tucson.com site.   Sad news, hope it turns out ok.  Scary situation.  

Craig Cunningham is in critical but stable condition, Arizona Coyotes coach Dave Tippett told reporters Monday.

The Tuscon Roadrunners captain collapsed on the ice prior to puck drop for an AHL game between the Roadrunners and Manitoba Moose Saturday night.

Cunningham was rushed to a Tuscon hospital, and the game was postponed.

“It was one of those real scary incidents,” Tippett said.

• 5 weeks later...

Excellent news about Craig. It looks like he will be released from the hospital before Christmas and will be speaking to the media tomorrow at 10 AM. 

http://www.tsn.ca/christmas-miracle-for-cunningham-family-1.636010

Unfortunately, it looks like his hockey career is over as his left foot and leg are severely damaged, but at least he will continue to live life outside of hockey. 

32 minutes ago, pluralsight said:

Excellent news about Craig. It looks like he will be released from the hospital before Christmas and will be speaking to the media tomorrow at 10 AM. 

http://www.tsn.ca/christmas-miracle-for-cunningham-family-1.636010

Unfortunately, it looks like his hockey career is over as his left foot and leg are severely damaged, but at least he will continue to live life outside of hockey. 

Cunny did it! Man, what a story. The Roadrunners have emerged as probably my favorite AHL team (sorry, Comets) and I was absolutely gutted when I heard what happened to Craig. What an inspiration. I hope the Roadrunners or Coyotes orgs set him up with some type of job so he can stay close to the game.

I am headed to my first Roadrunners game next week in Stockton. Can't wait to hold up my #CunnyDid sign! 

You have got to read this, incredible story from the doctor that saved his life

http://tucson.com/sports/roadrunners/article_746da4fe-5071-5dce-83ca-8156c00a7163.html?id=201408&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=share

“When I got to the fork in the road on Grant, I got a call from George saying, ‘Zain, he’s not going to make it,’” Khalpey said.

Khalpey pulled over and got the full synopsis of Cunningham’s condition: He was now bleeding from his lungs, and on a ventilator.

At this point, he’d had roughly 70 minutes of aggressive CPR, or what Khalpey calls “effective CPR,” not just “staying-alive CPR.”

“The thing that turned me was when George said to me, ‘Zain, I’ve got 40 hockey players looking at me,” Khalpey said. “And his mom. You’ve got to come.”

1 hour ago, Mackcanuck said:

You have got to read this, incredible story from the doctor that saved his life

http://tucson.com/sports/roadrunners/article_746da4fe-5071-5dce-83ca-8156c00a7163.html?id=201408&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=share

“When I got to the fork in the road on Grant, I got a call from George saying, ‘Zain, he’s not going to make it,’” Khalpey said.

Khalpey pulled over and got the full synopsis of Cunningham’s condition: He was now bleeding from his lungs, and on a ventilator.

At this point, he’d had roughly 70 minutes of aggressive CPR, or what Khalpey calls “effective CPR,” not just “staying-alive CPR.”

“The thing that turned me was when George said to me, ‘Zain, I’ve got 40 hockey players looking at me,” Khalpey said. “And his mom. You’ve got to come.”

Great read.

Thankfully they were able to save him. It is puzzling how it happened, hopefully they can figure that out and give him some peace of mind.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived