-AJ-

Troy Stecher | #51 | D

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I agree with you about top 4. That said if nothing else the kid has shown a determination that is over the top. In the last game the Vegas forward virtually lifted him aside to make a play on net. Stecher has really improved his positioning and might be able to eliminate a lot of that with experience. He has not been a consistent point producer this year but then who has? With the talent coming up his ppg might climb with better offensive team mates. 

Whatever he lacks in size, he certainly makes up for in try. 

Posted (edited)

Horvat is confirmed one they are interested in.

Edited by Rush17
  • Upvote 1

Interestingly I feel that Stecher has been let off the hook a lot this year because of Hutton's poor play. Both are around the same age and have followed a similar development track, so they are constantly compared. While Stecher had a poor year, Hutton's was disastrous, somewhat muffling the hubbub about Stecher's season.

The two main differences between Hutton's game level and Stecher's game level were:

- Stecher, while still having a poor offensive season, still outperformed Hutton in point production.

- Stecher worked his tail off whereas Hutton didn't seem to play as hard.

Comparing this year to last year, Stecher took a massive dive in offensive production, scoring at less than half the rate of last year, but it could be argued that he improved defensively. He was used a little less in offensive situations than last year which could contribute to less offense. His Corsi dropped, though that's somewhat expected with a drop in offensive zone start percentage. His CF%/oZS% last year was 0.965 and improved slightly this year to 0.996, so that could indicate that his possession was somewhat better given his usage. In a similar vein, his +/- improved from -16 to -7, which again, could indicate improved defense. Stecher played nearly 20 minutes a game last year, but that number dropped down to 18:49 this year, so it's possible that Green is sheltering him more than WD did.

All in all, I'd say this was a worse year for Stecher than last year, but an improvement in defense is encouraging at the very least.

20 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Interestingly I feel that Stecher has been let off the hook a lot this year because of Hutton's poor play. Both are around the same age and have followed a similar development track, so they are constantly compared. While Stecher had a poor year, Hutton's was disastrous, somewhat muffling the hubbub about Stecher's season.

The two main differences between Hutton's game level and Stecher's game level were:

- Stecher, while still having a poor offensive season, still outperformed Hutton in point production.

Comparing this year to last year, Stecher took a massive dive in offensive production, scoring at less than half the rate of last year, but it could be argued that he improved defensively. He was used a little less in offensive situations than last year which could contribute to less offense. His Corsi dropped, though that's somewhat expected with a drop in offensive zone start percentage. His CF%/oZS% last year was 0.965 and improved slightly this year to 0.996, so that could indicate that his possession was somewhat better given his usage. In a similar vein, his +/- improved from -16 to -7, which again, could indicate improved defense. Stecher played nearly 20 minutes a game last year, but that number dropped down to 18:49 this year, so it's possible that Green is sheltering him more than WD did.

All in all, I'd say this was a worse year for Stecher than last year, but an improvement in defense is encouraging at the very least.

For a 2nd year pro Stecher did OK IMHO. I agree with you that he got a easier ride from the presstitutes than Hutton. Bottom line is that Stecher is a much smaller man and has to develop a game that let's him stick. Effort is there, superior puck handler, superior skater but his offense was not there. You can tell Stecher is thinking his game all the time. Hard not to cheer for him but he runs the risk of being bumped down by prospect depth if he slips at all. How well he stands up to playoff play is still a question when physical play always goes up. 

21 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I agree, still some deficiencies in his game, but he appeared to show willingness to correct those mistakes through hard work and being meticulous in competing in all areas of the ice.   He shot significantly less this season, only 94 shots this season compared to his 125 last season.  He does this weird pump fake, when he really should just let the shot go quicker.  A lot of his points last year came from assists generated from rebounds he created with his shot.  Needs to get back to that.

He doubled his hit total though, and also increased his block shots, while also minimizing his give aways this season.

One thing to also note was that during that time when everyone was healthy for a brief 5-6 game stretch, TG was rotating Hutton and Pouliot in and out of the lineup, but not Stecher, despite his struggles too.  TG and the coaching staff probably saw that Stech is willing to compete and work hard despite not being great, and as he was given more rope to play with (mins) he seemed to be more assertive in his game. 

Stecher reads the play well, and reacts according to what he reads on the ice...Hutton is purely a guy who just reacts without thinking.  He makes bad pinches, chases the puck, and often gets himself out of position when all he should really do is stick out his stick in a passing lane or use his body to separate the man from the puck.   He expands way too much energy chasing the game instead of processing it.

the biggest difference in Stetcher's and Hutton's development from what I could see is that although Stetcher's offensive production dropped significantly from his rookie season, the other aspects of his game have improved and his effort level has been consistent. Whereas, Hutton is now in his third year, and not only has his offensive production dropped, but all other aspects (his speed in particular) of his game have regressed and his effort level has been consistently inconsistent. He's a liability on the ice. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Kushman said:

the biggest difference in Stetcher's and Hutton's development from what I could see is that although Stetcher's offensive production dropped significantly from his rookie season, the other aspects of his game have improved and his effort level has been consistent. Whereas, Hutton is now in his third year, and not only has his offensive production dropped, but all other aspects (his speed in particular) of his game have regressed and his effort level has been consistently inconsistent. He's a liability on the ice. 

This.

Wouldn't surprise me at all either if coaching told him to focus on his own end this year as well. Focus on 'playing the right way' and add the offense back in as you get adjusted.

• Upvote 1