Sign in to follow this  
-AJ-

Troy Stecher | #51 | D

4 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Linden when asked about Stecher

What’s the best thing about Stecher? Fans love the guy.
I’ll tell you a story. I went to see him in February in North Dakota. After that meeting, I said, “That kid has an intensity about him that is real.” I said to him, “We’ll talk when you’re done. Go win a national championship.” Watching, watching, watching… they win. Right away we start the process of bringing him in. Got him signed. He finished school in May and wanted to train with our strength coach right away. I’d go down and check in on the guys every day. I kept seeing this bike down there. Finally I said to one of our equipment guys, “Whose bike is that?”

“What do you mean? That’s Troy Stecher’s bike.”

“He rides his bike here every day?”

He’s from Richmond. His sister lived at 41st and Oak. From [Rogers Arena] it’s probably a 20-minute drive. He lived with his sister. Didn’t have a car. He didn’t get his signing bonus till July 15, so he rode his bike [at least 30 minutes] here every day. Never missed a workout. That was his mode of transportation. First couple of days, he pushed himself so hard in the gym, he puked. The kind of kid that goes to the garbage can, pukes, and continues his workout.

The reason I say this is, the kid has been told his whole career he’s too small, can’t play. What you can’t measure is the competitiveness and determination. When you watch him play, he’s 5-foot-10 on a good day but he’s so competitive. He’s smart. On the right side of the puck. He can defend because he’s smart enough and he wins puck battles.

He was our best player in Penticton. Great. Then in preseason he was one of our top defencemen every night. Not fazed by the situation at all. Fun to watch and he drives offence. He pushes the pace. And he’s a likeable kid.

Maybe Jake Virtanen should live, and train with Stecher?  Why not buddy these two guys up?

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Maybe Jake Virtanen should live, and train with Stecher?  Why not buddy these two guys up?

Was gonna say something like that myself. Jake should see how Stecher works and use that as an example. Stecher's story is inspirational to me as I am a small guy who likes playing defense as well, so it's neat to see a small guy having some success.

11 hours ago, bernzie71 said:

i liked seeing stecher and marner battle it out in the corners both about the same size and weight. 

190 pounds does not equal 165 pounds.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

190 pounds does not equal 165 pounds.

But in Kilos they are closer!  :lol:

19 hours ago, ajhockey said:

Was gonna say something like that myself. Jake should see how Stecher works and use that as an example. Stecher's story is inspirational to me as I am a small guy who likes playing defense as well, so it's neat to see a small guy having some success.

Maybe Richmond players are harder working than Abbotsford players?

Kids a shooter. He's taken 49 shots on net through 17 games, which is 9 games less than the 3 players on our team ahead of him. Out of all rookie defencemen he's taken the 4th most shots and they have played 11,9,7 games more than him. If we took his average and put it in the middle at 26 games he'd have taken the most shots of any rookie d-man so far this season (albiet with his shooting percentage at 2.0% his goals wouldn't go up). Over an 82 game season he's on pace for 236 shots on net, which would have been 30th in the NHL last season, first among rookie d-men (69 shots more than 2nd Colton Parayko), 2nd among all rookies (2 behind Eichel) and 5th among all d-men. If he raises his shooting percentage to a more respectable 6% that would be a 14 goal season. Of course the sample size isn't the largest this kid has me super excited for what he can do.

16 hours ago, BI3KSALLENT said:

Kids a shooter. He's taken 49 shots on net through 17 games, which is 9 games less than the 3 players on our team ahead of him. Out of all rookie defencemen he's taken the 4th most shots and they have played 11,9,7 games more than him. If we took his average and put it in the middle at 26 games he'd have taken the most shots of any rookie d-man so far this season (albiet with his shooting percentage at 2.0% his goals wouldn't go up). Over an 82 game season he's on pace for 236 shots on net, which would have been 30th in the NHL last season, first among rookie d-men (69 shots more than 2nd Colton Parayko), 2nd among all rookies (2 behind Eichel) and 5th among all d-men. If he raises his shooting percentage to a more respectable 6% that would be a 14 goal season. Of course the sample size isn't the largest this kid has me super excited for what he can do.

He moves the puck so smoothly. He is moving the puck down to Hank more than before. The tendency of the d-core has been to make a pass rather than the shoot. Defending forwards are so good at taking lanes away which makes the pass a strong option. Stecher moves well laterally to get that open lane and he has to keep his shots up to remain effective. IMHO the point shot has better options than Hank's lateral passes which get intercepted.  

11 hours ago, Boudrias said:

He moves the puck so smoothly. He is moving the puck down to Hank more than before. The tendency of the d-core has been to make a pass rather than the shoot. Defending forwards are so good at taking lanes away which makes the pass a strong option. Stecher moves well laterally to get that open lane and he has to keep his shots up to remain effective. IMHO the point shot has better options than Hank's lateral passes which get intercepted.  

Yeah its been awhile since we've had someone who can consistently find a lane and put pucks on goal. I agree with you sometimes Hank can get a bit predictable trying to pick someone cross-crease so Stetch's shot from the point open up a whole other dimension to our teams game, and gives our powerplay some dynamism. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, DJSkingz said:

Love this kid. If it weren't for Borvat he would be my new man crush.

This is nice, but have they freed Willie yet? 

This could be a sign that the hockey gods may have begun to smile on Vancouver ?

Stetcher has the compete level reminiscent of a young Bieksa and the skill to perhaps top out much higher than Juice ever did. It's refreshing to see a prospect that seems a cut above the rest on the ice at times! The sky is the limit with this dude.