Sign in to follow this  
-AJ-

Troy Stecher | #51 | D

12 hours ago, Provost said:

Except he played a lot more than that over his last contract.  He has averaged more than 18:30 a game over his time with us, including as a rookie when you would expert him to have less minutes.

Each year he started out lower on the depth chart and worked his way up.  In other years he was a 19-20 minute guy,.. this past season he worked his way back to the 1st shut down pairing with Edler again, at the same his early season partner ended up in the press box.  He has also averaged .26 PPG over his career which is great for a D who doesn’t get PP time.

He has value as a legit NHL D, he is significantly better than Benn who is fairly paid at $2 million.  On a good defence Stecher is a 3rd pairing guy who can move up in case of injury.

We don’t have a good defence.

Barring something unusual, we won’t be able to afford a good defence next season.  If we can’t afford Tanev, we can’t afford an equivalent replacement.

Rafferty is only a year younger than Stecher and has played a total of 2 NHL games as a 3rd pairing D, you can’t compare him to a guy that has successfully played 30 minutes a game for long stretches and has been on a 1st pairing against the toughest competition.

If Stecher would take around his current salary (adjusted for whatever happens to league salaries overall), with some term... that provides us good value.

Last year Stetcher averaged 15:25 minutes per game...Previous year he averaged more only because of injuries.....

I do like how hard he plays for guy his size 5'10, 185 lbs...

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

I don't know about signing Tanev UFA very injury prone to 4 yrs x 4.6 mil lion?? Think its time to more on......

Tryamkin, Canucks can't afford to pay him 2 million?? Listen to sportnet they had hockey guy that watch lots of KHL games..

Said tryamking  skates good, poor defensive IQ , big body to move player away from net? Maybe worth 1.5 million x 2 yrs show me more deal?

If he has poor defensive IQ, why was he used primarily in a shutdown role in the K?

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, wildcam said:

Last year Stetcher averaged 15:25 minutes per game...Previous year he averaged more only because of injuries.....

I do like how hard he plays for guy his size 5'10, 185 lbs...

He still played almost 20 minutes a game... and all his underlying numbers were good.

Hutton tried to play those minutes and got buried.

I don't think you are really considering how hard it is to play top pairing minutes, even in relief.  You are playing a crap ton, and playing against the best opposition.  Benn couldn't do it even if every D ahead of him got hurt.  Del Zotto, Sbisa, Gudbranson, the list goes on... none of them could do it.  When they were forced into it they were objectively awful.

That makes Stecher a legitimate NHLer and worthy of term and dollars.  The money everyone is talking about makes him an average paid 3rd pairing D.  Getting any more out of him would be gravy value wise.

Edited by Provost

1 minute ago, Provost said:

He still played almost 20 minutes a game... and all his underlying his numbers were good.

Hutton tried to play those minutes and got buried.

I don't think you are really considering how hard it is to play top pairing minutes, even in relief.  You are playing a crap ton, and playing against the best opposition.  Benn couldn't do it even if every D ahead of him got hurt.  Del Zotto, Sbisa, Gudbranson, the list goes on... none of them could do it.  When they were forced into it there were objectively awful.

That makes Stecher a legitimate NHLer and worthy of term and dollars.  The money everyone is talking about makes him an average paid 3rd pairing D.  Getting any more out of him would be gravy value wise.

In a perfect world we'd probably re-sign Stech/Tanev, sign Tryamkin and get rid of Benn. We get a couple compliance buyouts and are able to move a couple contracts out(Sutter/Baer/Benn; who we don't buyout).

Would give us a D-core of

Edler-Stech/Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Tryamkin-Stech/Myers

Rafferty

Brisebois.

I'd personally rather spend the cap we'd use on Stecher on a Edmundson/Dillon for the top 6 pairing though. Even with adding Tryamkin our D-core can use more physicality and toughness that can play well.

Yep...Stecher still have good underlying numbers. He is also the only D who is in the mid 20s currently playing with the team right now (so that could be important for team continuity).  Tanev also had good underlying numbers, but has gotten worse over the last 2 years.  So if you have to choose between the two, I would go with the former.