The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL creates new rules for post-John Scott All-Star Game eligibility

The NHL All-Star Fan Vote will be back, but with several stipulations that could prevent the next John Scott from becoming an international hero.

The league announced new requirements Monday, pertaining to the 2017 All-Star voting rules

Once again, fans will select one player from each division (without regard for position), and each winner will be named an All-Star captain.

But, here's what's different this time around:

• Eligible players must be on an NHL club's active roster as of Nov. 1. Any player who's not - due to injury or special circumstances - can be added to the ballot if/when he returns.
  • If a player is assigned or loaned to the American Hockey League (AHL) or any other minor-league team between Nov. 1 and 5 p.m. ET on Jan. 26, the player is ineligible. However, if the minor-league assignment/loan is due to conditioning reasons, the player remains eligible.
  • If a vote leader is disqualified due to a minor-league assignment or loan (or other reason) after voting closes on Jan. 2, the player with the second-most votes in that division will be named captain.

The new guidelines were clearly a response to Scott's unlikely election to the game last winter, following an online movement that culminated in the enforcer captaining the Pacific Division, while scoring twice and being named MVP in Nashville.

All-Star weekend is scheduled for Jan. 28 and 29, 2017 in Los Angeles. Fans can begin voting Dec. 1.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1161895

That's okay, there are tons of hardworking 4th line and healthy scratch players in order to A) embarass the Bettman and 2) Give a voice and a show to the hardworking guys who really make the league 'possible'. It's fun watching the Crosby/Ovi/etc show but... there are 3 other lines on even those teams that have to play just as hard.

So who is this year's winner?

14 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

The NHL is stupid. Scott was the only reason I watched the ASG 

No kidding - Scott was the best thing that could have happened to ASG... NHL brass should be thanking him and hoping something else like that comes along

19 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

This. They don't realize that they have ruined the ASG and Scott was one way that they actually garnered interest in it. It's not the only way it could happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if it had one of the highest viewerships in the past few years.

Gary doesn't invent the rules from his secret lair while petting a fluffy white cat and laughing manically. He's the spokesman for the will of the owners. If this is happening it's because the majority wants it this way.

It's genius though, because he's so hateable and punchable that it's easy to deflect the sole blame on him

14 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

Gary doesn't invent the rules from his secret lair while petting a fluffy white cat and laughing manically. He's the spokesman for the will of the owners. If this is happening it's because the majority wants it this way.

It's genius though, because he's so hateable and punchable that it's easy to deflect the sole blame on him

There's give or take 30 owners.  It is pretty easy for someone to sit 30 people down and tell them what they can and cannot do, what they should and shouldn't do.  Yes the onwers are to blame but so is that Keebler elf as well.  He is by far the worst commissioner in North America, oversaw a sale of a franchise to a con artist with a fax machine and has been apart of so many labour stoppages I've lost track.  I wish death upon him because that seems to be the only way to get somebody else to run the show.

This is probably something he tabled to the owners and got them to go along with it.  I highly doubt a owner went to the league and voiced concerned about John effen Scott making a mockery of a scared league event.

49 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Exactly. Not like there's a storied tradition of the All-Star Game that can't be tarnished or anything. It's a meaningless event. And the NHL wants to remove the one thing that got people actually excited to watch it last year. Can anyone even name who won the thing last year? I sure can't. All I remember is John Scott's awesome story.

If they made the All Star game actually mean something (e.g. MLB where the winner gets home field advantage for their league), it might be more exciting.  NHL and NBA all star games are so boring.  Having John Scott last year actually made me tune in & I did enjoy watching it for what it was, but I think I'd get pretty bored again if it became commonplace as opposed to a novelty.  I don't want to see Michael Ferlund or Matt Martin.

Archived