The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) TSN's Expansion Draft Projections for Canadian teams

Beary Sweet

http://www.tsn.ca/vegas-watch-which-players-would-you-protect-and-expose-1.613497

They have us projecting to protect Marky, Edler, Tanev, Guddy, Sedins, Eriksson,Sutter, Granlund, Hansen and Horvat. They also have us exposing a few players in Sbisa, Baertschi, Rodin, Dorsett, and Bachman. 

Meanwhile I was hoping that Baertschi could somehow be protected over Granlund but with Granny's start to the season it's looking more likely that Baertschi will have to be exposed although I don't want him to be picked as he still has potential to be a top 6 player which is why Benning traded for him in the first place. I also don't want to expose Sbisa since he can be a big part of the D corps while the team transitions into a younger and more faster team. I would get Larsen more into games and prefer him to be exposed over Pizza. But it depends who Benning wants to expose when it's all said and done. He has a huge task ahead of him in choosing who to protect and who to expose. Hope he makes the fans happy with the decisions he makes when the expansion draft comes around. 

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

Interestingly I heard by playing Drai early, Edm basically screwed themselves, & need to protect him. This true?

Yup, the Coil are screwed and will have to either expose themselves in the -40 Edmonton winter, or give away more young talent.  

10 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Overall, hard to argue that list. Our roster is pretty straight-forward, compared with others

League-wide, who are the 5 teams with the biggest tough choices(& excess NMC's?)? Prob Nash & Anaheim on the back-end...

Winnipeg also has the issue with their back-end in that they will be protecting Trouba, Myers, Buff, and Enstrom (auto). This means they will likely go with protection option 2 and have fewer forwards protected 

Just now, c00kies said:

Winnipeg also has the issue with their back-end in that they will be protecting Trouba, Myers, Buff, and Enstrom (auto). This means they will likely go with protection option 2 and have fewer forwards protected 

Who do the have up front: Scheifflie and Wheeler and?

Just now, c00kies said:

Hard for me to believe GM's will take that option. Even if they have to cram thru a lousy trade, you'd think they wanna protect 10?

5 minutes ago, c00kies said:

Even though he's rescinded his trade request, I still believe Trouba will be shipped out sooner than later. 

If McPhee is smart (and he is) he will pick up as many D and goalies as he is allowed to (9D and 3 goalies) and trade away the surplus.  They are the most valuable assets as a #4 D is worth a lot more than a 3rd line forward.

If 9 teams lose a top 4 D, there will be a huge trade market for those Vegas assets and he can flip them for some top 6 forwards which he will be short of.

Still don't think he picks up Sbisa from us and more likely we lose a young guy like Gaunce who is cheap and has some upside, which will offset some of the overpaid veteran options he will have from some other teams.

Granlund and beartschi are in a one on one battle to protected or not 

hansen has obviously grown to be so valuable, but he would fetch a pretty decent return at the deadline to a cup contender instead of inevitably losing him for nothing and it would allow us to protect baertschi or dorsett

losing sbisa would be a good thing. freeing up 3.6m in space and a top 6 dman role

Dorsett is the only shred of toughness we have who brings it every night. It would suck to lose him, but not the end of the world. 

Rodin, at this point is an unknown enigma so he's irrelevant and won't get picked over the others at this point

if I was mcphee you gotta pick hansen out those guys TSN exposed 

1 hour ago, ItsMillerTime said:

Hansen is getting exposed over Baertschi or Rodin. I think they would rather get Sbisa who is still young and he has a big salary so they don't have to worry about being to low.

I wouldn't like to see Hansen exposed over Baer or Rodin.  Neither has proven much in the NHL.  At the very least, Hansen is traded at the deadline; he would be very attractive to a contender.  Really hate to see such an accomplished and flexible player go.

1 hour ago, ItsMillerTime said:

Hansen is getting exposed over Baertschi or Rodin. I think they would rather get Sbisa who is still young and he has a big salary so they don't have to worry about being to low.

lol Hansen is not being handed over to the "Desert Knights" for free no.

Hansen needs to be traded at the deadline. His value is sky-high and brings all the things to a playoff team that they look for. Its much more important that this team protect the future and that would mean exposing Hansen - therefore a trade is the only viable option. 

Archived