The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) TSN's Expansion Draft Projections for Canadian teams

Beary Sweet

3 hours ago, ItsMillerTime said:

Hansen is getting exposed over Baertschi or Rodin. I think they would rather get Sbisa who is still young and he has a big salary so they don't have to worry about being to low.

In what world do you expose Hansen.  The guy literally makes every line he plays on better. If it came down to having to expose him then we would trade him at the deadline and get a great offer. Baertschi has been awful this year and at some point it's no longer potential.  Hansen is good very good. He is also our fastest forward on a super slow team.  Rodin maybe quite good, but sample size is 0 right now.  

1 hour ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

In what world do you expose Hansen.  The guy literally makes every line he plays on better. If it came down to having to expose him then we would trade him at the deadline and get a great offer. Baertschi has been awful this year and at some point it's no longer potential.  Hansen is good very good. He is also our fastest forward on a super slow team.  Rodin maybe quite good, but sample size is 0 right now.  

So if you're Vegas who do you pick, Granlund, Baertschi or Sbisa

18 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

Granlund easily.

It really depends on the big picture. You would need to have a list of all of the best available players per team that Vegas can pick up and go through it.

If they have picked up quite a few promising centers/wingers. They may show big interest in Sbisa. If they have just scooped up a big group of promising defensemen, they may lean on Granlund etc.  This of course is all assumption before a wave of trades happen and who "gifts" Vegas with some picks to avoiding picking certain players as well.

I honestly have no complaints if Canucks decide to protect Hansen. He is a true warrior. Still has a few good years left in him. I don't mind if he is one of the "old" players that stays with the young core for Mentoring etc.

Random question. Can Vegas pick any team they want, in any order? or do they have to work through a list from A-Z?

6 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

http://www.tsn.ca/vegas-watch-which-players-would-you-protect-and-expose-1.613497

They have us projecting to protect Marky, Edler, Tanev, Guddy, Sedins, Eriksson,Sutter, Granlund, Hansen and Horvat. They also have us exposing a few players in Sbisa, Baertschi, Rodin, Dorsett, and Bachman. 

Meanwhile I was hoping that Baertschi could somehow be protected over Granlund but with Granny's start to the season it's looking more likely that Baertschi will have to be exposed although I don't want him to be picked as he still has potential to be a top 6 player which is why Benning traded for him in the first place. I also don't want to expose Sbisa since he can be a big part of the D corps while the team transitions into a younger and more faster team. I would get Larsen more into games and prefer him to be exposed over Pizza. But it depends who Benning wants to expose when it's all said and done. He has a huge task ahead of him in choosing who to protect and who to expose. Hope he makes the fans happy with the decisions he makes when the expansion draft comes around. 

Out of all the players we could potentially lose, how are you fretting over the possibility of losing Sbisa? It would be addition by subtraction as far as I'm concerned.

4 hours ago, Fateless said:

Hansen needs to be traded at the deadline. His value is sky-high and brings all the things to a playoff team that they look for. Its much more important that this team protect the future and that would mean exposing Hansen - therefore a trade is the only viable option. 

You forget that every team in the NHL is currently trying to figure out who to protect as well. Trading Hansen for future pieces is great in theory but probably won't fly with most teams this season.

6 hours ago, ItsMillerTime said:

Hansen is getting exposed over Baertschi or Rodin. I think they would rather get Sbisa who is still young and he has a big salary so they don't have to worry about being to low.

How does one logically think to himself "expose the reliable point producer over the guy we brought from Europe who could totally bust in the NHL?" I'd really like to see your reasoning for that.

1 hour ago, Whale Tail said:

Random question. Can Vegas pick any team they want, in any order? or do they have to work through a list from A-Z?

Any order, it's literally just them getting a list of exposed players and having three days to submit their own list of picks.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/c-281010592
The 30 NHL Clubs must submit their Protection List by 5:00 P.M. ET on Saturday, June 17, 2017. The Las Vegas team must submit their Expansion Draft Selections by 5:00 P.M. ET on June 20 and the announcement of their selections will be released on made on June 21. 

8 hours ago, c00kies said:

Winnipeg also has the issue with their back-end in that they will be protecting Trouba, Myers, Buff, and Enstrom (auto). This means they will likely go with protection option 2 and have fewer forwards protected 

As much as it causes them a LHD dilemma?

Enstrom, exposed is an easy decision...

7 hours ago, Provost said:

If McPhee is smart (and he is) he will pick up as many D and goalies as he is allowed to (9D and 3 goalies) and trade away the surplus.  They are the most valuable assets as a #4 D is worth a lot more than a 3rd line forward.

If 9 teams lose a top 4 D, there will be a huge trade market for those Vegas assets and he can flip them for some top 6 forwards which he will be short of.

Still don't think he picks up Sbisa from us and more likely we lose a young guy like Gaunce who is cheap and has some upside, which will offset some of the overpaid veteran options he will have from some other teams.

I'm not sure I agree with goalies.

Look what the "goalie" market did for us with Lou, with Eddie?

6 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I wouldn't like to see Hansen exposed over Baer or Rodin.  Neither has proven much in the NHL.  At the very least, Hansen is traded at the deadline; he would be very attractive to a contender.  Really hate to see such an accomplished and flexible player go.

As in the OP?   Its kinda Baertschi or Granlund as the real dilemma. 

I'm finally joined the complete sell philosophy given our current lot in life. We should be trading Hansen at the deadline.

I think if Benning, and Linden, you need to be looking at the future, and the battle for the last protected spot is going to come down to Rodin, Hansen, and Baertschi.

The second half of the season is going to be so important for those guys. It's smart for JB to talk to other teams about Hansen, and see what is available. Hansen is probably a 15 goal scorer for the next 3-4 years. Right when the rebuild is reaching it's peak he will be on his last legs. Alternatively Rodin and Baertschi will be in there prime, and if either one of them can take off we have ourselves a solid top 9 forward during those playoff years.

Going to be interesting to see what JB and Linden do. 

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

As much as it causes them a LHD dilemma?

Enstrom, exposed is an easy decision...

I'm not sure I agree with goalies.

I agree with Enstrom, but he has a NMC that makes him an auto protect, hence the issue.

Archived