The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) TSN's Expansion Draft Projections for Canadian teams

Beary Sweet

13 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

http://www.tsn.ca/vegas-watch-which-players-would-you-protect-and-expose-1.613497

They have us projecting to protect Marky, Edler, Tanev, Guddy, Sedins, Eriksson,Sutter, Granlund, Hansen and Horvat. They also have us exposing a few players in Sbisa, Baertschi, Rodin, Dorsett, and Bachman. 

Meanwhile I was hoping that Baertschi could somehow be protected over Granlund but with Granny's start to the season it's looking more likely that Baertschi will have to be exposed although I don't want him to be picked as he still has potential to be a top 6 player which is why Benning traded for him in the first place. I also don't want to expose Sbisa since he can be a big part of the D corps while the team transitions into a younger and more faster team. I would get Larsen more into games and prefer him to be exposed over Pizza. But it depends who Benning wants to expose when it's all said and done. He has a huge task ahead of him in choosing who to protect and who to expose. Hope he makes the fans happy with the decisions he makes when the expansion draft comes around. 

1 - Larsen isn't eligible as he's a ufa at the end of the season (Sportsnet had us exposing Miller - also a UFA. haha)

2 - Every team has to expose somebody. Many exposing better players than us.

3 - No matter what Benning does there will be unhappy fans

Just now, Baggins said:

1 - Larsen isn't eligible as he's a ufa at the end of the season (Sportsnet had us exposing Miller - also a UFA. haha)

2 - Every team has to expose somebody. Many exposing better players than us.

3 - No matter what Benning does there will be unhappy fans

Considering the TSN list, we will lose Sbisa.  That will be our one player, and that's not a big loss. 

8 hours ago, Joe_Kerr said:

So if you're Vegas who do you pick, Granlund, Baertschi or Sbisa

Sbisa defense is more valuable.  Granlund looks like a very good two way third line player on a good team.  Baertschi until he steps up is just a small guy who hustles for pucks right now.  I wouldn't mind him playing on our 4th line when Rodin is healthy.  May take some pressure off him, and he is a responsible player that works hard.  You have to score if you are going to be top 6 or even top 9 for that matter.

15 hours ago, ItsMillerTime said:

Hansen is getting exposed over Baertschi or Rodin. I think they would rather get Sbisa who is still young and he has a big salary so they don't have to worry about being to low.

Rodin is a UFA - he needs to play 80 NHL games this season to remain an RFA.  They can sign him after the expansion draft instead of signing him before and protecting him.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Considering the TSN list, we will lose Sbisa.  That will be our one player, and that's not a big loss. 

Baertschi.  Especially if Green ends up their head coach - Friedman believes that he is a serious contender for the role.  

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Actually if he keeps progressing it might be. But we hung on to Biega as well to maybe to trade him at the TDL so other teams don't have to expose a top 4, or if Sbisa is injured and can't be drafted. 

I'd actually prefer we hang on to Hansen and even extend him if he's willing to do another friendly deal, and hang on to Rodin if his leg ever gets better and we can see what he's got. Losing Granny or Baer would be very palatable if Rodin has the shot we are all hoping for. We have the possibility of brining in other guys to fill in for Baer or Granny too depending on how the college kids not named Boeser do this year. 

I would agree they take Sbisa, his salary may be a bit high for the liking of some Canuck fans but it is not so high that it is prohibitive and Vegas may see this as being attractive to help them get to the cap floor because all the other options of who they are possibly selecting look like they come pretty cheap.

39 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Actually if he keeps progressing it might be. But we hung on to Biega as well to maybe to trade him at the TDL so other teams don't have to expose a top 4, or if Sbisa is injured and can't be drafted. 

I'd actually prefer we hang on to Hansen and even extend him if he's willing to do another friendly deal, and hang on to Rodin if his leg ever gets better and we can see what he's got. Losing Granny or Baer would be very palatable if Rodin has the shot we are all hoping for. We have the possibility of brining in other guys to fill in for Baer or Granny too depending on how the college kids not named Boeser do this year. 

Rodin is 26. Don't you think he's a place holder, not core?

1 minute ago, FireGillis said:

Not sure why people think vegas would take sbisa.  They can find 9 other better dmen in the draft.

Vegas has to take one player from every team. Sbisa is a good dman and if you have looked at the lists of projected players who other teams will likely expose, he is definitely a player they would consider.

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Vegas has to take one player from every team. Sbisa is a good dman and if you have looked at the lists of projected players who other teams will likely expose, he is definitely a player they would consider.

He's a lot better than Baer.  Plu, there will be a lot of guys selected, then traded too, right?  

Just now, Alflives said:

He's a lot better than Baer.  Plu, there will be a lot of guys selected, then traded too, right?  

Its possible. Vegas only has to take 20 players who are under contract for 2017. So any UFA or RFA players left unprotected could be taken if Vegas can sign them to a contract before the expansion. That counts as their player from that team. Not sure why Vegas would do that for a UFA but maybe for an RFA. If I was them I would use the negotiating window to get in principle wink wink deals completed with any UFA players they want then select a different player from that team then just sign the other player in regular free agency. You know McPhee is smart enough to do this.

8 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

A team can offer up a draft pick in exchange for Vegas not taking an unprotected player, which will change which players are available league wide.  I agree that Sbisa would be a good pick for a new team that will require some toughness.

The Canucks will (unfortunately) trade Hansen in order to protect one of Baer/Grans/Rodin.  Of the 3,only Grans has shown anything so far. but there is lots of games still to be played.  So far, I think Vegas would take Sbisa over those players.

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Rodin is 26. Don't you think he's a place holder, not core?

I think too much is made of specific ages - yes we want to trend younger generally but you wouldn't move Zetterberg just because he's 36! Not that Rodin is in that class but if he's productive and not a defensive liability (i.e. too slow) then whats the difference? Also Rodin might be 26, but thats not with NHL miles on him either.  

I know a lot of people are freaking out over Loui, but don't you think he would be a great line mate with Bo or Boeser? It doesn't have to be 3 kids on a line all the time. Lucic with McD. Maroon with Nugget-Hopkins. It works.

17 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

I would get Larsen more into games and prefer him to be exposed over Pizza. 

Larsen will be exposed no matter what (although it would be his rights seeing as he is on a 1 year deal). common misconception that if a player doesn't have the 40/70 nhl game threshold they aren't eligible to be claimed.

The rule is you must have at least one defenceman that has played 40 games in one of the previous two seasons or 70 games combined. that doesn't mean that is the only player you expose.

Any player that isn't on your protected list that has more than 2 seasons of professional hockey will be fair game.

Did you guys see the TSN video that talks about how Bieksa's contract is going to force the Ducks to expose Silferberg to expansion draft?

His NMC has handcuffed that team.  Lets give Benning some credit for moving such an albatross, ok?  Sure, Bieska allowed it, its a NMC.  And sure, the Ducks were ok with it.  And expansion was not on the horizon yet.  A divisional rival is going to lose a bigtime piece of their core, and probably puts them in a 3 to 5 year hole in that position.  Nice.

Archived