The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) TSN's Expansion Draft Projections for Canadian teams

Beary Sweet

36 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

A team can offer up a draft pick in exchange for Vegas not taking an unprotected player, which will change which players are available league wide.  I agree that Sbisa would be a good pick for a new team that will require some toughness.

The Canucks will (unfortunately) trade Hansen in order to protect one of Baer/Grans/Rodin.  Of the 3,only Grans has shown anything so far. but there is lots of games still to be played.  So far, I think Vegas would take Sbisa over those players.

I am still of the opinion Bieksa will somehow be convinced by management to waive his NMC so he can be exposed over Silfvernerg. He could finally be an NHL captain if Vegas took him. 

if Silfververg ends up being exposed I bet Anaheim puts together a package to convince Vegas not to take him. I doubt they lose him either way.

18 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

http://www.tsn.ca/vegas-watch-which-players-would-you-protect-and-expose-1.613497

They have us projecting to protect Marky, Edler, Tanev, Guddy, Sedins, Eriksson,Sutter, Granlund, Hansen and Horvat. They also have us exposing a few players in Sbisa, Baertschi, Rodin, Dorsett, and Bachman. 

Meanwhile I was hoping that Baertschi could somehow be protected over Granlund but with Granny's start to the season it's looking more likely that Baertschi will have to be exposed although I don't want him to be picked as he still has potential to be a top 6 player which is why Benning traded for him in the first place. I also don't want to expose Sbisa since he can be a big part of the D corps while the team transitions into a younger and more faster team. I would get Larsen more into games and prefer him to be exposed over Pizza. But it depends who Benning wants to expose when it's all said and done. He has a huge task ahead of him in choosing who to protect and who to expose. Hope he makes the fans happy with the decisions he makes when the expansion draft comes around. 

18 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Overall, hard to argue that list. Our roster is pretty straight-forward, compared with others

League-wide, who are the 5 teams with the biggest tough choices(& excess NMC's?)? Prob Nash & Anaheim on the back-end...

16 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I wouldn't like to see Hansen exposed over Baer or Rodin.  Neither has proven much in the NHL.  At the very least, Hansen is traded at the deadline; he would be very attractive to a contender.  Really hate to see such an accomplished and flexible player go.

Agree that the list looks pretty reasonable so far. Also agree that, at this stage, the only questionable spot is Baertschi vs. Granlund. However, it is still early in the season and that contest could go either way. Granlund is ahead so far but, if I were betting, I would put my money on Baertschi overtaking him by the end of the season. But I admit it could go either way.

Also agree with higgyfan that another possibility is trading Hansen for a draft pick or prospect at the deadline and protecting both Granlund and Baertschi. I like Hansen a lot and he is still very good. But he is too old to be a part of the emerging young core (at least I hope it is emerging) and he could help a Cup contender this year and next on his current contract. And I do favor trying to acquire picks at the deadline this year as I think the team needs to continue to improve its prospect pipeline.

As for Beary's suggestion about protecting Sbisa, one issue is that the Canucks need to make available a D who has played 70 games or more over last year and this year (or 40+ games this season). Playing Larsen a lot this year could solve that problem, and the Canucks would need to re-sign him first. However the other problem is that the Canucks can only protect 3 D's and 7 forwards (or 8 skaters total, which they won't do). Playing Larsen this year does not help with that as the Canucks pretty much have to protect Guddy, Tanev and Edler. And I would would much rather play Stecher and Larsen anyway, as Stecher has earned the spot. I think demoting a guy (Stecher) for a reason like this would hurt team morale and that could have a long term impact. If the Canucks need a guy to offer they could still acquire Bartkowski, who played over 70 games for the Canucks last year and is currently playing on an AHL contract (I think).

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Vegas has to take one player from every team. Sbisa is a good dman and if you have looked at the lists of projected players who other teams will likely expose, he is definitely a player they would consider.

I just saw button's list. He took 13 dmen.  I was thinking 9 dmen, so I can see sbisa taken if they take 13 dmen. I'd be thrilled if Vegas takes that contract from us.

I think it would be stupid to not protect Baertschi. He has near elite NHL skill, just needs to learn to play with high level of intensity. 

I would expose Granlund, Sbisa, and Rodin (unless he comes back from the injury and produces like a top 6 player).

And assuming that most other teams would prefer to protect good defenceman (top 4 or 5 defenceman) over a top 9 forward, Sbisa would be LV's choice since this season, he is showing that he is a legitimate top 5 defenceman. Given our prospect pool at defence, I think we can afford to lose Sbisa.

If Rodin shows enough potential to be a top 6 player when he returns from his injury, then we can trade a draft pick to LV in return for not picking him.

It would suck to lose Granlund if LV decides to take him but every team is going to lose a player that they would rather not.

23 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

http://www.tsn.ca/vegas-watch-which-players-would-you-protect-and-expose-1.613497

They have us projecting to protect Marky, Edler, Tanev, Guddy, Sedins, Eriksson,Sutter, Granlund, Hansen and Horvat. They also have us exposing a few players in Sbisa, Baertschi, Rodin, Dorsett, and Bachman. 

Meanwhile I was hoping that Baertschi could somehow be protected over Granlund but with Granny's start to the season it's looking more likely that Baertschi will have to be exposed although I don't want him to be picked as he still has potential to be a top 6 player which is why Benning traded for him in the first place. I also don't want to expose Sbisa since he can be a big part of the D corps while the team transitions into a younger and more faster team. I would get Larsen more into games and prefer him to be exposed over Pizza. But it depends who Benning wants to expose when it's all said and done. He has a huge task ahead of him in choosing who to protect and who to expose. Hope he makes the fans happy with the decisions he makes when the expansion draft comes around. 

I love Hansen and Edler but I really think management needs to consider trading them (or asking Edler to waive) for a young offensive player at the deadline. Both players are solid, quality players, who have been great role models but at some point the team needs to choose youth over age. With the Sedins, Tanev and Sutter they have enough vets, especially with Horvat progressing as he is (in terms of leadership). If they could acquire a young high end offensive talent at the deadline, it would go a long way. Two years from now the line up would similar to the following (minus knowledge regarding future trades, draft picks and prospects):

Trade - Draft - Brock (21)                                              

Baer (26) - Horvat (23) - Virt (22)                                                                                                                                         

Granlund (25) - Sutter (29) - Eriksson (33)                                                                                                                                            

Prospect - Gaunce (24) - Prospect                                                                                                                                                                     

Juolevi (20) Tanev (28)

Tryamkin (24)  Stecher (24)

Hutton (24)  Guddy (25)

Pedan (25)

Markstrom (28)/Demko (22)

Well balanced, young team.

43 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

I love Hansen and Edler but I really think management needs to consider trading them (or asking Edler to waive) for a young offensive player at the deadline. Both players are solid, quality players, who have been great role models but at some point the team needs to choose youth over age. With the Sedins, Tanev and Sutter they have enough vets, especially with Horvat progressing as he is (in terms of leadership). If they could acquire a young high end offensive talent at the deadline, it would go a long way. Two years from now the line up would similar to the following (minus knowledge regarding future trades, draft picks and prospects):

Trade - Draft - Brock (21)                                              

Baer (26) - Horvat (23) - Virt (22)                                                                                                                                         

Granlund (25) - Sutter (29) - Eriksson (33)                                                                                                                                            

Prospect - Gaunce (24) - Prospect                                                                                                                                                                     

Juolevi (20) Tanev (28)

Tryamkin (24)  Stecher (24)

Hutton (24)  Guddy (25)

Pedan (25)

Markstrom (28)/Demko (22)

Well balanced, young team.

That's an interesting team in two seasons.  Our goaltending and defence look really good.  Our forwards are okay, but we really need to get two elite scoring forwards.  Maybe the Edler + Hansen trade could get us one?  

Loving all the trade suggestions, some good replies... But this year's trade deadline will have more 2-3rd liners and top 4 defenceman available than any TDL we've ever seen. Prices will be super low, and teams will be hesitant to spend on a player that either needs to be protected, or forces them to expose a different player. 

Terrible timing for us.

6 hours ago, khay said:

I think it would be stupid to not protect Baertschi. He has near elite NHL skill, just needs to learn to play with high level of intensity.

It seems like Baertschi is overrated by a lot of posters on here. Yes, he is skilled but nowhere near elite IMO. He doesn't beat guys one on one, he doesn't skate around defensemen, his shootout numbers aren't very impressive and neither are his stats. I would say he has above average skill but anything more is a bit of a stretch. Maybe he develops into a 2nd line player but he's looking more and more like a bust with each passing game. 

3 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

It seems like Baertschi is overrated by a lot of posters on here. Yes, he is skilled but nowhere near elite IMO. He doesn't beat guys one on one, he doesn't skate around defensemen, his shootout numbers aren't very impressive and neither are his stats. I would say he has above average skill but anything more is a bit of a stretch. Maybe he developes into a 2nd line player but he's looking more and more like a bust with each passing game. 

I think Baer does okay for his skill set.  He's a placeholder, who will be replaced when one of JB's picks pushes him out. 

1 minute ago, chilliwiggins said:

Expose Baer, 3 years and nothing has changed, had all the opportunity in the world, shows inconsistent, soft, and holding back horvat

I think the will.  If it's a choice between Sbisa and Baer that's an easy choice.

On November 22, 2016 at 5:04 PM, Alflives said:

That's an interesting team in two seasons.  Our goaltending and defence look really good.  Our forwards are okay, but we really need to get two elite scoring forwards.  Maybe the Edler + Hansen trade could get us one?  

That's definitely what I was thinking. Edler and Hansen have been great Canucks but if they could land a young offensive player with first line potential, it would be huge (most likely a winger - signified as Trade on the first line). If the Canucks get lucky and are able to draft Gabriel Vilardi, then they are in good shape moving forward (not to mention all the other prospects Benning is likely to draft).

• 1 month later...
On 11/22/2016 at 6:49 PM, VIC_CITY said:

It seems like Baertschi is overrated by a lot of posters on here. Yes, he is skilled but nowhere near elite IMO. He doesn't beat guys one on one, he doesn't skate around defensemen, his shootout numbers aren't very impressive and neither are his stats. I would say he has above average skill but anything more is a bit of a stretch. Maybe he develops into a 2nd line player but he's looking more and more like a bust with each passing game. 

Whatever you are smoking, please tell me where I can get some.

With some of the recent injuries I wouldn't be surprised if the current protected list looked like this:

Danny - Hank - Loui (with NMC's) - Sutter - Granny; Sven; Bo (all important guys moving forward)
Eddie - Tanev; Guddy; Marky (no brainers)

While some people argue between Hansen, Granny and Sven, I agree with those saying move Honey Badger.  Thing is, Megna is looking pretty good lately, with the speed and hands that Badger himself has shown and which has enabled both of them to work well with the Twins.  Since Jayson's younger and cheaper and proving his readiness for the league (granted his numbers aren't there yet but he's doing well on the ice), and Hansen can bring back a decent return (probably 2 x 2nd's), then I'm all in for moving him to a contender, and allowing Sbisa to be exposed.

3 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

May not feel like it with too many years of losing but that list are replacement level players at best. If we walk away from the draft losing Sbisa, that's not a big deal. 

And we have Juiolevi coming up anyway.  It's the loss of the asset that Sbisa is that's an issue.  

If Baer keeps on playing the way he has now, he must be protected. I do not want to lose a young guy in this draft, I want to see Granlund and Baer on this team in the future, they fit in perfect with this team.

46 minutes ago, J-23 said:

If Baer keeps on playing the way he has now, he must be protected. I do not want to lose a young guy in this draft, I want to see Granlund and Baer on this team in the future, they fit in perfect with this team.

It's crazy to me how many people were and still are willing to write Baer off.

The kid has serious talent. His puck skills, his reads, his speed, his passing, his shot, all are all significantly above average. Daniel Sedin even said that Sven had more skill than him. 

His P/60 of 2.41 puts him at 73rd in the league. So by raw production based off the ice-time he sees, he's among the 90-best players at generating offense. Baer is clearly in pretty elite territory if he can push that number a little higher while also getting more ice time. 

Not at all sure why we'd want to give up an asset like this for free...

Here's the link, for anyone who wants to look into P/60: https://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/stats/player-points-per-60-min-leaders/2016/

Archived