The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vegas Golden Knights Thread

7 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

According to Vegas Golden Knights pro scout David Conte, the team could select 7 or 8 goaltenders in the expansion draft and then use them as trade bait to acquire additional assets from other teams.

I mean that's super smart. Goaltenders tend to sell really high...

Nooott

On 2017-02-27 at 11:19 AM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

According to Vegas Golden Knights pro scout David Conte, the team could select 7 or 8 goaltenders in the expansion draft and then use them as trade bait to acquire additional assets from other teams.

They should fire that scout lol

I think the most goalies they could pick is 7. The 3 they are required to and 4 additional spots after they pick the required 14 forwards and 9 defensemen.

They would be better off loading up on either forwards or defense with those picks depending where the quality is better. If the goal is to trade for other assets with them.

3 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, IF there was an opportunity to go down and watch the Canucks play the first ever game that they play in Vegas (Chartered plane, hotel, tickets, etc), are there people in here that would be interested?

Working on this........

Depends on the cost of course, but have already planned on going down there.

They are going to get to pick a fine d core.  I just ran through the expansion draft process from ANA to MTL.  There is several quality D in their lineup.  They could be at worest like this years canucks if they gain enough assets to make it worth while. I wonder how many teams will risk protecting elite players 35+ in age.  

I personally would leave them exposed just consider it an early retirement if you have a promising player just a few years behind.  But then vegas may snag said player.   So its going to be interesting to see the mindset of these teams.  Like DET for instance.  Do you save Kronwall from the ED at age 36?  Or do you protect a younger asset who has potential?  

Interesting times indeed.

Do we know if they are going to make the picks like a television game show?  Going through each team on a televised broadcast or are they just going to print the list.  I hope they make a spectacle about it.  Where they go up and announce each selection :D  

Maybe make a pick. go back to the table. pretend like they are making a decision. 2 minutes later they come back up lol.  This $&!# has to be exciting.  I can't wait to laugh at what teams lose.  stinks we are at the end but we have done a good job covering our bases.  Gaunce or Sbisa lost kinda hurts but no where near as bad as most of the teams lol.

17 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, IF there was an opportunity to go down and watch the Canucks play the first ever game that they play in Vegas (Chartered plane, hotel, tickets, etc), are there people in here that would be interested?

Working on this........

May I suggest that you might try setting up a site or thread in detail. It sounds interesting for sure.

4 hours ago, MikeyBoy44 said:

May I suggest that you might try setting up a site or thread in detail. It sounds interesting for sure.

Site is being built right now. Have had discussions with the Vegas team already, meeting some of them next week for lunch.

Will see where this goes, but we're not quite ready to pull out details yet.

One of the biggest challenges is that we won't know schedule until sometime in July. Makes it harder to work out chartering flights.

Probably about 3 weeks and we'll be launching site for people to express interest and will start dedicated thread at that point.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/02/2017 at 11:27 AM, Gooseberries said:

I mean that's super smart. Goaltenders tend to sell really high...

Nooott

they would if you pick up the entire market.  lol.  id ride it out though and hope other GM's do too lol.

imagine they can't make a deal and lose them all to expiring contracts.  how do you make them all waiver eligible though unless you target really young guys.

On 3/1/2017 at 5:49 PM, VegasCanuck said:

Working on this........

If I'm still living in Calgary I'll probably be doing this a couple times a year

From Friedman's 30 thoughts.

1. Initially, the plan was to give Las Vegas 48 hours with the protected list before the expansion draft. That is being increased to 72. At the GM meetings, the Golden Knights’ George McPhee let everyone know that once the lists are handed to him, it’s an auction for any unprotected player another team might want. This has outstanding potential.

Archived