The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Security Job Experiences?

Bruce Boudreau

2 hours ago, drummerboy said:

I wrote something else.  Decided to delete it.    

Basically,   Aim higher dude.  Try a bit harder. 

It's hard getting a job though for entry level gigs with out connections...

I mean when you don't have a chunk of sustained work experience and are getting shafted out within the first 6 months or so it looks suspect.

When you have work history gaps and have bounced around at a couple jobs and haven't stuck around for more than a few months here and there they start to think something is wrong with the person.

I was travelling in the past and my grandfather was sick so I helped my family out by driving him to his appointments and things and was only taking some part time courses.

At this point I just want to make some money by no means am I set on this as more than a short-term thing. But I also need to stick it out a decent amount of time 6 months plus to really get an idea of what these jobs are really like and get the experience before I find something else like data entry.

If you have any tips I'm all ears feel free to pm me or respond in this thread. I will be waiting.

20 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

I mean when you don't have a chunk of sustained work experience and are getting shafted out within the first 6 months or so it looks suspect.

When you have work history gaps and have bounced around at a couple jobs and haven't stuck around for more than a few months here and there they start to think something is wrong with the person.

I was travelling in the past and my grandfather was sick so I helped my family out by driving him to his appointments and things and was only taking some part time courses.

At this point I just want to make some money by no means am I set on this as more than a short-term thing. But I also need to stick it out a decent amount of time 6 months plus to really get an idea of what these jobs are really like and get the experience before I find something else like data entry.

If you have any tips I'm all ears feel free to pm me or respond in this thread. I will be waiting.

What about getting a trade ?  Doing an Apprenticeship ?  Plumbing, Electrical, HVAC are three that come to mind. 

Better money and raises along the way....

3 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

What about getting a trade ?  Doing an Apprenticeship ?  Plumbing, Electrical, HVAC are three that come to mind. 

Better money and raises along the way....

Yeah that's the thing don't really want to do an unsafe physical labor type job. One of the reasons I didn't like working in the kitchen.

Heard hospitality industry is supposed to be growing the next 10 years do maybe get into something like that.

The rate though that technology is moving and jobs are becoming automated is pretty scary. You learn some tech stuff like webpage design or try to be an IT guy and by the time you finish your program in 2-4 years you have to learn new tech because the stuff they taught I'd already out of date.

I really don't know man in the future people that versatility and multiple skills to adapt will be able to be more flexible and take advantage of what the jobs look like in the next 10-20 years.

7 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

With the right attitude,trades are always easy to get into.  You don't need connections. Just a work ethic.  

Go to Bcit and talk to the nice ladies in the office.   They can point you to a program where you do a couple weeks in a couple different trades. It gives you enough info to make a good decision on if it is for you.   

Most trades make at least 30$ an hour. 

If you aren't stupid, they are safe. 

Mistakes happen on the job site when you either aren't paying attention, or are screwing around.  

Life isn't easy.  Work isn't easy. 

Making a good career and life takes a lot of hard work.  

I am a red seal metal fabricator.  

Luckily I don't have to do that job because I have the best job in the world playing drums, but I worked my ass off to get the ticket as a back up in case my career goes sour. 

Trades are a great way to go.  

Lots of money to be made.

You don't have to be smart to be a welder. 

Just have to be willing to work hard. 

On November 23, 2016 at 1:58 PM, Chip Kelly said:

Serious question here do these security recruiters prefer more alpha take charge guys when $&!# hits the fan, or some beta who bitches out when you actually have to handle a situation?

For 16$/hr what kinda situations are you willing to handle there Charles Bronson.

38 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

With the right attitude,trades are always easy to get into.  You don't need connections. Just a work ethic.  

Go to Bcit and talk to the nice ladies in the office.   They can point you to a program where you do a couple weeks in a couple different trades. It gives you enough info to make a good decision on if it is for you.   

Most trades make at least 30$ an hour. 

If you aren't stupid, they are safe. 

Mistakes happen on the job site when you either aren't paying attention, or are screwing around.  

Life isn't easy.  Work isn't easy. 

Making a good career and life takes a lot of hard work.  

I am a red seal metal fabricator.  

Luckily I don't have to do that job because I have the best job in the world playing drums, but I worked my ass off to get the ticket as a back up in case my career goes sour. 

Trades are a great way to go.  

Lots of money to be made.

You don't have to be smart to be a welder. 

Just have to be willing to work hard. 

This.

but really applicable to any industry.

what you haven't aquired in experience can be aided with a good attitude, people skills, and work ethic.

bosses don't want headaches.  Bosses want employees that make them look good to their boss and money of course.  Most people spend most of their time working and therefore want to be in a good environment.  

Dont sell yourself short because you think you don't have the experience.

@Chip Kelly

ive hired green guys just because I knew I would get along with them on a long day and they seemed like they had a good head on their shoulders.

a skilled asshole doesn't last long.

7 hours ago, riffraff said:

For 16$/hr what kinda situations are you willing to handle there Charles Bronson.

Was taking more recruiters and senior officer types read some reviews on indeed about security companies with high school like politics where the senior guys mess with the newbies and about some harassment/bullying goes on.

From that perspective I don't really want to be working with arrogant douchebag but I understand security gigs and labor jobs in particular do attract these types.

2 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Was taking more recruiters and senior officer types read some reviews on indeed about security companies with high school like politics where the senior guys mess with the newbies and about some harassment/bullying goes on.

From that perspective I don't really want to be working with arrogant douchebag but I understand security gigs and labor jobs in particular do attract these types.

I can't speak from experience regarding security positions but I can when it comes to labourers.

from what I see and have seen there are mainly two types of labourers:

1.) young guy/sometimes girl 

some are looking to work their way up in whatever trade they are labouring in but most are just killing time.  I rarely see arrogance to be honest.  You get the odd meathead with a chip on his shoulder.  But really, these guys don't last.  Nobody wants that in their crew, including the boss.  

2.). Old guy

could be uneducated, an alco, druggy, ex con, bad with money, or a combo.  They just put in their time.  Sometimes go awol.  Sadly many carry themselves like beaten dogs from the hard life they've led.  

Again as I said in another post, if you bring a good attitude and work ethic, discuss your goals at the start and review at a pre determined time, most likely your boss will see your value.

The cliche is you get out what you put in.

I feel bad.    Never mind.    

But still,  weak dude

I feel bad for you..

On 2016-11-23 at 11:58 AM, Chip Kelly said:

Serious question here do these security recruiters prefer more alpha take charge guys when $&!# hits the fan, or some beta who bitches out when you actually have to handle a situation?

they hire all aspects..... they will hire you for something suited for your role...

their are mall security's that are girls that are 5'4 maybe 26 years old and skinny.....

if your into lost prevention were you are the guys that are undercover working at malls, that are scouting guys that might be potential thiefs....  of course they won't be hiring a 5'4 Skinny girl for that typel.. maybe someone who is 6'0 and stronger.....

sometimes if your 5'5 and a girl you might be stationed at at the control centre just watching security footage all day....

sometimes, one of the supervisors, is a 60 year old, who is maybe 5'11, he won't be the ones confronting trouble makers, as that will be handled by a 6'1 younger person...

it all depends....

it really depends... you will also see one gaurd, that is just standing looking out at a construction site the entire time, this guy probably doesn't even speak any english...

I will advise staying away from Banks.... if you don't like anything boring I recommend maybe getting into a "mobile" were you are driving from one site to another.

it's a pretty easy industry to get into, lots of positions, wouldn't consider it a career for me, its just something I can always go back too, if one day my life doesn't turn out as a last ditch effort.  Of course the last time I ever did security was back in 2006.

36 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

I feel bad for you..

they hire all aspects..... they will hire you for something suited for your role...

their are mall security's that are girls that are 5'4 maybe 26 years old and skinny.....

if your into lost prevention were you are the guys that are undercover working at malls, that are scouting guys that might be potential thiefs....  of course they won't be hiring a 5'4 Skinny girl for that typel.. maybe someone who is 6'0 and stronger.....

sometimes if your 5'5 and a girl you might be stationed at at the control centre just watching security footage all day....

sometimes, one of the supervisors, is a 60 year old, who is maybe 5'11, he won't be the ones confronting trouble makers, as that will be handled by a 6'1 younger person...

it all depends....

it really depends... you will also see one gaurd, that is just standing looking out at a construction site the entire time, this guy probably doesn't even speak any english...

I will advise staying away from Banks.... if you don't like anything boring I recommend maybe getting into a "mobile" were you are driving from one site to another.

it's a pretty easy industry to get into, lots of positions, wouldn't consider it a career for me, its just something I can always go back too, if one day my life doesn't turn out as a last ditch effort.  Of course the last time I ever did security was back in 2006.

Wow seems like you get really some pretty interesting and funny stories working security jobs when you deal with all levels of society and types of people from new immigrants, to old guys, ex police ex army etc, students as their part time job on the side, people who want to use it for a stepping stone into corrections or law enforcement.

Now, I want a job but it's not something if I didn't do or missed out on getting into that I would be like I should have done that. LIke you said they are always hiring if I do something else for a year.

Security seems like a good gig part time when you are already getting a pension and just looking for something to do so you don't get bored sitting on the couch all day by yourself at home and figure I could be getting paid to sit on my ass and watch some security cameras for the amount of hours I spend looking at a screen anyways.

Back when you did Security 10 years back and share what site they had you on?

Was it Full time or Part Time and what company was it? What duties did they make you do each shift day to day for the particular sites?

I'm looking into Malls and Campuses because they seem to be the best places to be stationed at site wise.

Also I would rather sit for hours at a time than be forced to stand up and be constantly moving around. Problem with that is like you said the girls or old guy supervisor probably gets the watches camera or watching from his car gig vs having the more physically capable people with stamina doing the mobile and on foot patrols.

Thanks for the help and all the info. I appreciate it.

On 2016-11-27 at 2:24 AM, Chip Kelly said:

Wow seems like you get really some pretty interesting and funny stories working security jobs when you deal with all levels of society and types of people from new immigrants, to old guys, ex police ex army etc, students as their part time job on the side, people who want to use it for a stepping stone into corrections or law enforcement.

Now, I want a job but it's not something if I didn't do or missed out on getting into that I would be like I should have done that. LIke you said they are always hiring if I do something else for a year.

Security seems like a good gig part time when you are already getting a pension and just looking for something to do so you don't get bored sitting on the couch all day by yourself at home and figure I could be getting paid to sit on my ass and watch some security cameras for the amount of hours I spend looking at a screen anyways.

Back when you did Security 10 years back and share what site they had you on?

Was it Full time or Part Time and what company was it? What duties did they make you do each shift day to day for the particular sites?

I'm looking into Malls and Campuses because they seem to be the best places to be stationed at site wise.

Also I would rather sit for hours at a time than be forced to stand up and be constantly moving around. Problem with that is like you said the girls or old guy supervisor probably gets the watches camera or watching from his car gig vs having the more physically capable people with stamina doing the mobile and on foot patrols.

Thanks for the help and all the info. I appreciate it.

Seriously dude.  

I don't have any real skills. 

I don't want to work hard. 

Im not willing to do labour.  

Im scared trades will hurt me. 

Id rather sit on my ass than stand up and walk around. 

These are all all things you have said in this thread.    

Does this sound like someone who actually wants to work? 

Would you hire this person?

dude get off the Internet and get to work man. 

5 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Seriously dude.  

Employers i work with keep telling me that they can not find young people that want to work hard  / learn a trade/skill.  

Video game generation ?  

CHIP  -    Dude - learn a skilled trade.  Get paid decent and earn while you learn.  Hard work will make you stronger.  

12 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Seriously dude.  

Ok but I am looking for something that would be ease me into in to it you know.

Somehow I don't think 8 hour shifts where you have to stand all day without a break and be moving around is appealing right off the bat.

Like I be always studied and worked part time.

I need to know more before I pursue security I'm trying to set up an information along interview with a current guard to answer some questions. 

33 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Ok but I am looking for something that would be ease me into in to it you know.

Somehow I don't think 8 hour shifts where you have to stand all day without a break and be moving around is appealing right off the bat.

Like I be always studied and worked part time.

I need to know more before I pursue security I'm trying to set up an information along interview with a current guard to answer some questions. 

Who is working 8 hours without a break?

Dude.  Seriously.   You need to give your head a shake and stop being so damn lazy. 

I feel like you are trolling me here. 

I'm not coming back to this thread.  

Congrats Chip.  You got me.  

7 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Employers i work with keep telling me that they can not find young people that want to work hard  / learn a trade/skill.  

Video game generation ?  

CHIP  -    Dude - learn a skilled trade.  Get paid decent and earn while you learn.  Hard work will make you stronger.  

I am an anomaly then.

Personally I don't mind doing skilled labour work. Good money, meet good/funny people, hard work but body gets used to it, some asshats on site but you get used to them as well. Trying to get back into it but can't drive atm.

At first I couldn't carry a single 20' aluminum/steel beam(for scaffolding) by myself, especially up ramps. After a month I could carry them easily.

I am a decently big dude though. Employer I worked for liked big dudes. Chip you could get your forklift if you like sitting on your arse or even Crane op if you're ambitious.

27 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Who is working 8 hours without a break?

Dude.  Seriously.   You need to give your head a shake and stop being so damn lazy. 

I feel like you are trolling me here. 

I'm not coming back to this thread.  

Congrats Chip.  You got me.  

Well I mean a 15 minute break after 4-5 hours is not much.

Obviously I was exaggerating with the 8 hours no break.

Thanks for your contribution.

8 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I am an anomaly then.

Personally I don't mind doing skilled labour work. Good money, meet good/funny people, hard work but body gets used to it, some asshats on site but you get used to them as well. Trying to get back into it but can't drive atm.

At first I couldn't carry a single 20' aluminum/steel beam(for scaffolding) by myself, especially up ramps. After a month I could carry them easily.

I am a decently big dude though. Employer I worked for liked big dudes. Chip you could get your forklift if you like sitting on your arse or even Crane op if you're ambitious.

Both great ideas. Crane operators make good money.  

The thing about the trades is that there are so many other jobs  that are related. You also make so many connections on work sites. You just do not know what opportunity will come up . You just have to be reliable, honest , hardworking and a positive attitude.  If you are good, you will be a supervisor eventually and make great money / benefits. 

I would think security jobs would be way more of a dead end type position, but maybe thats just me.

Archived